NORTHERN NEW YORK
Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people and the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation.
New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910.
Transcribed by Coralynn Brown
Abraham Allen, according to the history of Milford, Massachusetts, was the progenitor of this family. His son Joseph settled in Mendon, Mass., but no record of Abraham has been found there. Milford was set off from Mendon.
Joseph and Jonathan. Perhaps others.
Jonathan was a soldier in the Crown Point expedition in 1759 under Captain John Furness from Mendon.
(II) Joseph, son of Abraham Allen, was born about 1710, died in 1802. He settled in Mendon when a young man and was a Quaker. His name appears frequently in the public records. He married Lydia Aldrich, of one of the old Quaker families of Mendon and Uxbridge. His will was dated April 9, 1792, and filed for probate April 6, 1802. He bequeathed to wife Lydia, sons Alvin, Ahaz, Moses, Ezra and Joseph, and to Caleb, son of his son Caleb.
1. Caleb, mentioned in the will; died before 1792; married March 2, 1769, Lucy, daughter of Oliver Mann.
2. Moses, mentioned below.
3. Ezra, born Oct. 18, 1747; married Lucy Aldrich, Children: Ruth, born June 22, 1770 and Lydia, at Richmond, N.H. Dec. 13, 1772.
4. Joseph, mentioned in will, perhaps the eldset.
5. Alvin, born Oct. 21, 1756; lived in Milford.
6. Ahaz, born July 23, 1765; lived in Milford.
Two others, according to the Milford history, must have died before 1792.
(III) Moses, son of Joseph Allen, was born at Mendon, Mass., Nov. 30, 1745. He and his brother Ezra settled near each other at Richmond, New Hampshire, with many other Quakers from Mendon. Joseph, another brother, settled in the southeast part of the town of Richmond. All came there about 1767. Moses remained and the other brothers moved away. He died there in 1824. His farm was on lot 9, range 5, and he built the house which, at last accounts, was still standing. . The place was afterwards owned by Amos Martin.
He married (first) Nov. 5, 1767, Comfort, born Dec. 10, 1745, died Oct. 28, 1804, daughter of Joseph Buffum. He married (second) at Richmond, Phebe McIntyre, who died in 1829.
Children of first wife, born at Richmond, and the first seven recorded in the records of the Friends at Smithfield, Rhode Island, to the Monthly Meeting of which Moses Allen and other Mendon Quakers belonged:
1. Abraham, Sept. 25, 1768, probably at Mendon, for his is the only birth of the family not recorded at Richmond: mentioned below.
2. Jerathmeel, May 11, 1770.
3. Moses, May 25, 1772.
4. Comfort, July 12, 1774; married Silas Boyce.
5. Hannah, Sept. 24, 1776.
6. Abigail, Dec. 5, 1779.
7. Martha, June 3, 1781.
8. Margaret, Aug. 11, 1783.
9. Sally, June 30, 1786.
10. Lydia, May 8, 1788.
(IV) Abraham (2) son of Moses Allen, was born at Mendon, Mass., Sept. 25, 1768, and is recorded in the Friends Church at Smithfield, Rhode Island; died at Brushton, New York, about 1836. He resided at Richmond, New Hampshire, on the place between Tully Brook and Danvers Martin on the north side of the road. A few old apple trees mark the site of the old dwelling house. He removed to Croyden, N.H., about 1800, and afterward to Brushton, New York.
He married, at Richmond, Dec. 30, 1790, Keziah Potter (by Henry Ingalls).
1. Senah, born at Richmond, Nov. 9, 1791.
2. William Porter, born at Richmond, Jan. 5, 1795.
3. Osborn, Oct. 13, 1797, mentioned below.
(V) Osborn, son of Abraham (2) Allen, was born at Richmond, N.H., OCt. 13, 1797, died at Rochester, N.Y. about 1848. He came to northern New York about 1825 with his father and located at Fort Covington, where he followed farming until 1837. For two years he was a general merchant there and for two years conducted a hotel. He engaged in the boot and shoe business at Rochester, N.Y., and continued there the remainder of his days.
He married Elizabeth Hunt, born at Lyman, N.H., 1792, died 1837.
Gerard B., Joseph Osborn, Orren I., Luther B., Reuben, Marica A., and Emily M.
(VI) Joseph Osborn, son of Osborn Allen, was born in Lyman, New Hampshire, Nov. 12, 1822, and is now  living in Brushton, New York. He came to Fort Covington with his father and grandfather when he was about three years of age, and was educated in the public schools of that town. He worked in his father's store and hotel at Fort Covington and also learned the trade of blacksmith. He worked at blacksmithing at Bombay, Cato Landing, Canada, and opened a shop afterward at Fort Covington on his own account. Later he was in business in Brushton.
This is one of the names most frequently used in the United States, and is represented by many distinct families. Its use arises from the christian name, which is very ancient. In the roll of Battle Abbey, Fitz-Aleyne (son of Allen) appears, and the name comes down through the ages to the present.
Alan, constable of Scotland and Lord of Galloway and Cunningham, died in 1234. One of the first useing Allen as a surname was Thomas Allen, sheriff of London, in 1414. Sir John Allen was mayor of London in 1524, Sir William Allen in 1571, and Sir Thomas Alleyne in 1659. Edward Allen (1566-1626), a distinguised actor and friend of Shakespeare and Ben Johnson, founded in 1619 Dulwich College, with the stipulation that the master and secretary must always bear the name of Allen, and this curious condition has been easily fulfilled through the plentitude of scholars of the name. There are no less than fifty-five coats-of-arms of separate and distinct families of Allen in the United Kingdom, besides twenty others of different spellings.
There were more than a score of emigrants of this surname, from almost as many different families, who left England before 1650 to settle in New England.
(I) Walter Allen was an early settler of Newbury, Massachusetts, living there in 1640, and became one of the proprietors of Watertown, same colony, where he settled before 1662. In 1663 he was a member of the coroner's jury. He sold his house and land in Watertown, April 20, 1665, and bought sixty acres in Watertown Farms, now Weston, June 7 following. This was near the Concord boundary, and in 1669 he bought for forty pounds two hundred acres. By deed of gift, Oct. 1, 1673, he passed his lands on to sons, Daniel and Joseph, and moved to Charlestown, where he was a "haberdasher of hats," and died July 8, 1681. The inventory of his estate summed up three hundred and twelve pounds, and his will mentions, besides the Mayhew farm of two hundred acres near the Sudbury line, a farm of seventy-five acres; six acres of meadow; two acres of "divided land," one hundred acres in Haverhill.
The baptismal name of his first wife was Rebecca. He married (second) Nov. 29, 1678, at Charlestown, Abigail Rogers.
John, Daniel, Joseph and Benjamin, the last named born in Newbury.
(II) John, probably eldest son of Walter and Rebecca Allen, was born in England and resided in Newbury until 1662. He died Dec. 1, 1711, in Sudbury, Mass., whither he removed on leaving Newbury. He was a tailor by trade, and followed that occupation, in addition to farming on his land, which is in what is now Wayland, Mass. In 1676 he lost sixty pounds by depredations of Indians, and in 1688 was a sort of minute-man in an organization for defense.
His first wife, Sarah, died Jan. 12, 1702, and he married (second) Mary, surname unknown, who died Aug. 30, 1727.
Children born of first wife:
Deborah, John, Samuel, Joseph, Benjamin, Rebecca, Thomas and Sarah.
(III) Benjamin, fourth son of John and Sarah Allen, was born Jan. 30, 1662, in Newbury, and died Aug. 12, 1721, at Watertown Farms, where he engaged in agriculture.
He married Fraces, daughter of Thomas and Mary Rice, born Feb. 3, 1671, in Weston, died there in 1767.
Thomas, Frances, Grace, Jonas, Zebediah and Benjamin.
(IV) Jonas, second son of Benjamin and Frances (Rice) Allen, was born Nov. 1, 1699, in Weston, and removed from that town before 1750 to Acton, Mass.
He married, Aug. 18, 1725, in Weston, Elizabeth Brazier, of Charlestown.
James, Jonas, Elizabeth, Frances, Sarah and Benjamin.
(V) James, eldest child of Jonas and Elizabeth (Brazier) Allen, was born April 14, 1721, in Weston, and resided in Concord, Acton and Littleton, Mass.
He had wife Ruth and children:
Molly, John, James, Stephen, Betty and Lucy.
(VI) James (2), second son of James (1) and Ruth Allen, was born June 1, 1752, in Littleton, resided in Mendon, Mass., until old age, and died in Brandon, Vermont, March, 1857.
He married Phebe, daughter of James and Jemima (Cook) Thayer.
(VII) Elijah Bell, son of James (2) and Phebe (Thayer) Allen, was born April 17, 1791, in Mendon, and died in Ogdensburg, New York, Feb. 16, 1869. In 1821 he went to Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, and was engaged in fur trading, being also Indian agent of the United States government, and remained until 1826. He had been previously in Chicago, then known only as Fort Dearborn. On leaving "the Soo," he went to Ogdensburg and continued there the remainder of his life; he had large naviation interests, owning vessels and barges engaged in traffic on the river between Ogdensubrg and Montreal, and also conducted a hardware store and general commission business. He ranked among the lading business men of the St. Lawrence valley, and was widely known and respected.
He married Harriet, born 1797, in Springfield, Vermont, daughter of David and Nancy (Nichols) Seymour, and undoubtedly a descendant of Edward Seymour, early at Hartford, was born in 1769 and was among the early settlers of Springfield, locating there about 1792. He was a civil engineer, carpenter and bridge-builder, and was killed by falling from a bridge he was constructing over the east branch of the Oswegatchie river, July 15, 1806, at the early age of thirty-seven years.
He married in 1793, Nancy, born Dec. 9, 1773, daughter of Levi and Elizabeth (Sawyer) Nichols, early residents of Springfield. They had: George N., Harriet, Isaac, David, Lewis and Nancy A.
Elijah B. and Harriet Allen had chldren:
Louisa, born in Albany, died young.
David, born in Springfield, Vermont; died young.
David S., 1822.
Walter B., see forward.
Cornelia, Feb. 2, 1826, at Sault Ste Marie.
Marion, Dec. 23, 1828.
Eleanor, Dec. 24, 1832.
John S., April 20, 1835.
Charles S., died young.
Charles, Aug. 13, 1841, died Aug. 21, 1883.
(VIII) Walter Bicker, third son of Elijah B. and Harriet (Seymour) Allen, was born March 25, 1824, at Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, died in Ogdensburg, N.Y. April 20, 1884. He was educated in the schools of the latter place, and engaged in the same line of business as his father, having vessels on the river and conducting a general forwaarding and commission business. He also kept a hardware store, and was a prominent business man, taking an active interest and part in the conduct of public affairs. He was a trustee of the Presbyerian church, a rigid Democrat in politics, and served as alderman of the city.
He married, June 4, 1861, Helen Louise, born Dec. 1841, in Utica, New York, died July 26, 1876, daughter of Jesse and Caroline (Watkins) Egert.
The last named died young.
The second, born Jan. 21, 1869, became the wife of Robert Mulford, now a retired business man of Mt. Vernon, N.Y., and has children, Allen and Mary Allen.
(IX) Harriet Seymour, eldest chld of Walter B. and Helen L. (Egert) Allen, was born Dec. 9, 1863, in Ogdensburg, and was married Oct. 8, 1884, to Dr. Willard Nathan Bell, of Ogdensburg (see Bell IV).
Walter Allen, born April1 2, 1887.
George Allen, Oct. 11, 1888.
(I) James Allen, immigrant ancestor, very likely came to Dedham with his uncle, Rev. John Allen, about 1637. He was a grandson of Reginald Allen of Colby, Norfolk, England. The first mention of him in the records is dated April 6, 1638, when "Jeames Allin accepted to have sixe acres layd out for him in yt corner by Jeffery Myngey yf ther it may be fowned fitt." He received other grants at various times. He was admitted to the church Oct. 2, 1646, and made a freeman May 26, 1647. In 1648 his estate was valued at two pounds, and his tax was rated at three shillings five pence. In 1649 some of the inhabitants of Dedham made a company in order to form a settlement at Boggestow, upon the Charles river, now known as Medfield, and he was one of the first thirteen proprietors and the fifth to be granted land in the new town. The committee which carried on the affairs of the town at first granted him land, June 19, 1650, when it laid out the thirteen house lots. His lot was on South street, near the present (1910) residence of Mr. Rhodes. In 1650 his estate was valued at 139 pounds. He was again granted land in 1653, near that of his son Joseph. He recieved other grants, and owned tracts on both sides of the river.
His will was dated Sept. 23, 1676. He left his house, barn, etc., to his son-in-law, Joseph Clark, and as he had given his house on South street to his son Nathaniel, he must have owned two places.
He married, in Dedham, March 16, 1638, Ann Guild, who died in Medfield March 29, 1673, and he died there Sept. 27, 1676.
Children, all born in Dedham, except the youngest:
John, Dec. 4, 1639.
Martha, Dec. 11, 1641.
Mary, twin with Martha.
Sarah, May 4, 1644.
James, April 28, 1646.
Nathaniel, Aug. 29, 1648.
Joseph, mentioned below.
(II) Joseph, son of James Allen, was born in Medfield, June 24, 1652. He settled in the northern part of the town on Castle Hill, known as the Allen place afterwards. He was granted two lots of land in 1673, one between the road leading to "Goodman Morse's" and land owned by his father, below Samuel Wright's land. The other lot was between his father's land and that owned by Samuel Wright, bounded on the east by the highway leading to Natick.
He was a cooper by trade, and his house and shop were built before King Philip's war. Feb. 21, 1676, the Indians determined to burn the town, and his property was among the first to receive their attention. They took shavings from the shop, piled them on the kitchen floor, and set them on fire; but the shavings had been piled on a trap door, which fell into the cellar when burned, and extinguished the flames. No other damage was done, although all of the other houses in that part of the town were destroyed.
Sept. 21, 1676, he received from his father six acres of upland and one acre of meadow land, and this was probably his share of his father's will, as his name was not on the will, which was dated two days later. In 1675 and 1701 his name is on the list of proprietors, and he was made a freeman Oct. 11, 1682. In 1688 he was sealer of weights and measures, and he and his wife were admitted to the first parish in 1697.
He married, in Seakonk (Rehoboth), Nov. 10, 1673, Hannah, born there Oct. 22, 1654, died in Medfield 1730, daughter of William Sabin.
He died in Medfield, Jan. 14, 1703.
Children, all born in Medfield:
Joseph, Dec. 19, 1676.
Hannah, June 23, 1679.
Daniel, April 21, 1681.
David, March 22, 1683.
Noah, April 23, 1685.
Eleazer, Aug. 25, 1688.
Jeremiah, Aug. 5, 1690.
Hezekiah, Nov. 3, 1692.
Abigail, Oct. 24, 1694.
Nehemiah, mentioned below.
Thankful, probably died young.
Mary, probably died young.
(III) Nehemiah, son of Joseph Allen, was born in Medfield, April 22, 1699. He sold his right of inheritance to his brother Noah, and settled in Sturbridge. He married, about 1722, Mary Parker, who died in Sturbridge, Jan. 27,1771, and he died there Nov. 1, 1785.
Children, born in Sherburne:
Timothy, Sept. 5, 1723, died young.
Nehemiah, July 22, 1724, died young.
Hannah, July 29, 1725.
Eliphalet, Aug. 24, 1727.
Nehemiah, Oct. 17, 1729.
John, Feb. 13, 1731-32, mentioned below.
Jacob, Feb. 24, 1733-34.
Abel, Feb. 20, 1735-36.
Mary, April 16, 1738.
David, Dec. 23, 1739.
Abigail, Dec. 23, 1741.
Timothy, in Sturbridge, March 25, 1744.
Abner, in Sturbridge, Aug. 22, 1746.
(IV) John, son of Nehemiah Allen, was born in Sherburne, Feb. 13, 1731-32. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Aaron and Hannah Allen. She was born in Sturbridge March 29, 1743, and died there June 9, 1803.
Children, all born in Sturbridge:
Miriam, Feb. 7, 1767.
Zerniah, May 30, 1769.
Elizabeth, April 25, 1771.
Moses, March 13, 1773.
John, Aug. 27, 1776.
Waters, Aug. 30, 1778, mentioned below.
Polly, Oct. 8, 1784.
Simeon, Dec. 5, 1786.
The records give "A child of John Allen," died July 6, 1803.
(V) Waters Allen, son of John Allen, was born at Sturbridge, Mass. Aug. 30, 1778, died 1850. He was a man of earnest patriotism and served a full enlistment term in the war with Great Britain, 1812, and his widow received a grant of 160 acres from the government. He settled in Turin, Lewis county, N.Y., and was a blacksmith by trade.
He married Anna Gillmore in Sturbridge, Mass.; she died in Brownville, Jefferson county, N.Y, 1875.
(VI) Waters (2), son of Waters (1) Allen, was born at Sturbridge, Mass., July 5, 1819. He married Sarah Jane Converse, both at Ellisburg, Jefferson county, N.Y., Sept. 25, 1819. He was a farmer. Waters Allen died at Brownville, N.Y. May 6, 1860; his wife died at Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y., March 24, 1884.
1. Joel Elbridge, born Nov. 14, 1843, at Martinsburg, Lewis county, N.Y.; married Emma V. Butts, and had Waters and Clarence Eugene.
2. Anna E., born Sept. 9, 1847, in Orleans, Jefferson county, N.Y.; married (first) John P. Reed (deceased); (second) Lewis Coffin (deceased). Child of first husband: Carrie F. Reed.
3. 3. Emma Diana, born Nov. 5, 1851, at Orleans, N.Y.
The name of Allen has always been prominent in New England, and is well known throughout the country. The immigrant ancestor of the families of this name number well towrd a score, and, their descendants being numerous, there is a bewildering maze in their genealogies which seem almost impossible to penetrate, and the task of tracing special pedigrees is quite perplexing and ofttimes discouraging. The name in early times was spelled Allin, Alline, Allyn, Allein and Allen, but the last is the orthography almost universally used at the present day. It is found not only in the industrail but in the professional life of people who have stood for all that is noblest and best. It has been identified with the formative period of northern New York history, and from that region has sent out worthy representatives.
(I) James Allen, probably came from England to America, and settled in Dedham, Massachusetts in 1647. He was a proprietor of that town in 1642, and five years later took the oath of freeman. Among the first thiretten settlers to establish the town of Medfield, he drew a house lot on which is now (1910) South street, and was living there in 1660. Presumably he resided there at the time of his death, Sept. 27, 1676.
He married 1 mo. 16, 1638, Annie Guild, who died March 29, 1673.
John, born Dec. 4, 1639.
Mary and Martha, twins, 1641.
Joseph, mentioned below.
(II) Joseph, fourth son of James and Annie (Guild) Allen, was born in 1652, in Medfield, and had a house lot in the northern part of that town since known as the "Allen place." By trade he was a cooper, and his house was the only one not destroyed by the Indians at the sacking of Medfield during King Philip's war. It is probable that some previous friendly act on his part secured this exemption.
He married, in 1673, Hannah Sabin, who survived him more than a quarter of a century, dying in 1730. He died Jan. 14, 1704.
Joseph, mentioned below.
Hannah, born June 23, 1678.
Daniel, April 21, 1681, settled in Pomfret, Connecticut.
David, 1683, settled in Ashford, Conn.
Noah, April 21, 1685.
Eleazer, Aug. 26, 1688.
Jeremiah, Aug. 5, 1690.
Hezekiah, Nov. 3, 1692.
Abigail, Oct. 24, 1694.
Nehemiah, April 22, 1699.
(III) Joseph (2), eldest son of Joseph (1) and Hannah (Sabin) Allen, was born Dec. 19, 1676, in Medfield, where he probably passed his life and where he died May 25, 1727.
He married, Nov. 4, 1701, Miriam Wight, of that town, born Aug. 22, 1675, daughter of Ephraim and granddaughter of Thomas Wight, who came from the Isle of Wight and was in Watertown, Mass. as early as 1635.
Joseph Allen's children:
Joseph, born Aug. 16, 1702.
Miriam, May 27, 1704.
Moses, Sept. 20, 1708.
Aaron, mentioned below.
(IV) Aaron, youngest son of Joseph (2) and Mary (Wight) Allen, was born March 11, 1715, in Medfield, and with his brothers Joseph and Moses removed to Sturbridge, Mass. abut 1736. Both the brothers were chosen town officers the year following the incorporation of the town, 1738.
His first wife, Hannah, born in the same year as himself, died Aug. 17, 1778, in her sixty-third year. He married (second) Aug. 9, 1787, Widow Catherine Smith. She survived him, as shown by her receipt given to her stepson for the amount of her legacy as agreed upon by the heirs of the estate. She was not mentioned in her husband's will. This receipt bore date July 5, 1794, six months after the execution of her husband's will. He died May 3, 1794, in Sturbridge.
At least four of his sons were soldiers in the war of the revolution.
Aaron, mentioned below.
Simeon, born June 26, 1741.
Elizabeth, March 29, 1743.
Thankful, June 29, 1745.
Prudence, Dec. 1, 1747.
Reuben, Nov. 12, 1749.
Ithamar, Oct. 9, 1751.
Joel, Oct. 26, 1753.
Caleb, June 25, 1755.
Amasa, Sept. 27, 1757.
Elisha, Nov. 20, 1759.
Hannah, died in infancy.
Several of these married persons named Allen.
(V) Aaron (2), eldest child of Aaron (1) and Hannah Allen, was born Aug. 22, 1739, in Sturbridge, where he passed his life and died Nov. 30, 1818. He was a soldier of the revolution, enlisting Sept. 26, 1777, to reinforce the army of General Gates at the northward, and was discharged Oct. 18, same year; a member of Lieut. Benjamin Freeman's company, Colonel Jonathan Holman's regiment. He again enlisted July 30, 1780, in Captain Abel Mason's company, Colonel Jacob Davis' regiment, and served twelve days in Rhode Island. His brother Ithamar was lieutenant of the company in which he first enlisted. Caleb was in several campaigns, being a sergeant in 1777, and was a pensioner in old age.
Aaron Allen married, March 15, 1764, Abigial, daughter of Nehemiah Allen, probably of the same lineage as himelf. She was born about 1741, and survived him almost ten years, dying Oct. 4, 1828, in Sturbridge.
Ama, died young.
Sibbel, born Feb. 10, 1769.
Lola, Oct. 14, 1770.
Kias, Sept. 13, 1772.
Betsy, Sept. 15, 1774.
Ethan, July 30, 1776.
Mary, July 23, 1778.
Aaron, mentioned below.
Nabby, Aug. 1, 1783.
Amma, Sept. 6, 1787.
(VI) Aaron (3), youngest son of Aaron (2) and Abigail (Allen) Allen, was born June 9, 1781, in Sturbridge, and as a young man resided for a short time in Vermont and subsequently in Canada, whence he removed in April, 1880, to the town of Louisville, St. Lawrence county, New York, being one of the pioneers. He accompanied Nahum Wilson and his two sons, who were originally from Peru, N.Y. He, with Samuel W. Wilson, son of Nahum, cut down the first tree for a clearing in the town and built the first log house.
[Transcriber's note: notice there is no generation VII. I have no idea why].
(VIII) Charles Westly Allen was born in 1833, in Louisville, and died Sept. 14, 1905, in Malone, N.Y. He was reared on the paternal farm, with whose labors he early became familiar, and attended the local schools, subsequently being a student in the high school in Ogdensburg, N.Y. At the age of eighteen years he became a clerk in a general store at Malone, with Mr. King, one of the most prominent merchants of that town. He was subsequently with Howard & Mallon, well known merchants there, and ultimately engaged in mercantile business on his own account. He continued until 1887, and was later engaged in the coal business.
He was a member and vestryman of St. Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church, serving many years in that office. He was also affiliated with the local lodge of the Masonic fraternity, and in political matters acted with the Democratic party.
He married, in 1861, Mary Lathrop, born 1845, in Malone, daughter of Loyal Clark and Irene D. (Spencer) Lathrop.
Frank D., mentioned below.
Frederick L., an attorney of New York City.
William L., an attorney, residing in Malone.
(IX) Frank Douglas, eldest son of Charles W. and Mary (Lathrop) Allen, was born Jan. 21, 1862, in Malone, and received his primary education in the public schools of that place. Entering Hamilton College he was graduated with the degree of A.B. in 1885, and subsequently pursued the law course at the same college. He read law with Judge Albert Hobbs, of Malone, and was admitted to the bar at Albany, 1888. His practice of the profession began at Malone and continued until December, 1889, when he removed to New York City. For a time he was associated as clerk with Davies & Rapello, but soon engaged independently in practice. He quickly gained a reputation as a lawyer in the metropolis, and since 1895 has been assistant attorney and counsel of the Manhattan Railway Company and Interborough Rapid Transit Company, his offices being located in the City Investing Building.
Mr. Allen is identified with college fraternities, clubs and other civic organizations, including the Alpha Delta Phi, the New York County Lawyers' Association, the Knollwood Country Club, and the Church Club, of the City of New York. He is a vestryman of Holy Trinity Church of New York, and though he takes an intelligent interest un the progress of public affairs, he is not active in political movements, being an independent Democrat in principle.
He married, Dec. 24, 1895, Lucy E. King, daughter of Wallace W. and Lucy (Thompson) King, of Malone.
Have these webpages helped you?
Please let us know in the Guestook.
|[ Read / Sign my guestbook ]|
|Get a free Guestbook|
Jane's Site with over 2000 free databases!
These records (NNY) are part of her website.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids