THE HORTONS OF SHROPSHIRE
The manor of Horton, called in the 16th century Horton Maybank or
Horton Horsey, was held in demesne by William de Braose in 1073.
It was not mentioned by name in Domesday Book, being presumably
included in Beeding manor. William of Horton otherwise Maybank
held land at Horton in 1225 which his ancestors had been given in
marriage. The same or another William Maybank occurs locally
between c.1230 and c.1260, and another William Maybank was lord of
Horton in 1316. About 1323 Philip Maybank died seised of a third
of the manor, being succeeded by his grandson, also Philip
Maybank. The second Philip's son Richard was dealing with Horton
in 1359 or 1360, and he or a namesake was taxed at 3s. 4d. in the
parish in 1378.
A manor house at Horton was apparently mentioned c.1323. The
present three-bayed building, called Horton Hall, is early 19th-century
and is rendered externally; there are later additions on the north
side. In 1981 it was used as a guest house.
From: "A history of the County of Sussex, Upper Beeding Manors
and other estates, published: 1987, Volume VI, part 3, pages 34-7
Preston upon the Weald Moors Manor was held by Pain of Preston in the
period 1187-9. In the early 13th century the manor passed to his
four coheirs: Agnes, wife of William of Preston and later of
Roger of Preston; Sabin, wife of William of Horton, who, like her
sister, was also later married to a Roger of Preston; Margery, wife of
Thomas Rabas; and Sibyl of Preston. In 1292 Richard of Ford,
presumably Robert's heir, was one of the four coparceners, with Pain of
Preston (fl. 1296-1320)William of Preston (fl. 1304), and William of
Horton. The last named was presumably a descendant of the early
13th-century William of Horton, and the recurrence of the surname
Preston makes it possible that the other two quarters also remained in
the same familes between the early 13th century and 1292: Adam
and Ralph of Preston probably held quarters in 1277. In 1336 the
coparceners of the manor - to judge from their exercise of the
patronage of the church were Richard of Preston, Richard of Horton
(presumably William of Horton's heir)........
Richard of Horton's quarter of the manor was held by him or another of
the same name in 1336, 1345, 1350, 1369 and 1370. Philip of
Horton had succeeded by 1382 and Richard Horton by 1402; Philip, and
after him Richard, are very probably to be identified with the
contemporary owners of Dothill. The subsequent succession is
uncertain, but it appears that by 1481 the quarter was divided between
Joan (nee Horton), the wife of Reynold Sowdeley, her nephew William
Titley, and her grandnephew William Steventon II; all were descended
from the Richard of Horton seised in Edward III's reign.
From: A History of Shropshire, Preston upon the Weald Moors
Manor, Volume XI, published: 1985, Pages 177-78.
A2A Catalogue, Shropshire Archives, Milson - The Hill House,
reference 445/241-2, date 5 & 6 July 1790:
(1)William Horton of Wolverhampton ironmonger.
(2) William Horton deceased of Shredicott co. Staff gentleman, son and
heir of James Horton of same gentleman.
(3) A marriage then intended between William Horton and Elizabeth
Moseley spinster, who was seized in a reversionary interest in property
in Moseley expectant on the death of her mother; she is also entitled
to a fortune in money of L350.
(4) Settlement of a messuage or farmhouse in Milson called the Hill
House (Elizabeth Lowe) with all lands; a parcel arable in Hillfields in
Milson (2a) bounded on all sides by land then of William Horton decd,
now of William Horton party;.......
(5) Lease and release of the Hillhouse, a cottage in Milson with
orchard garden and backside (John Hardman), to use of William Horton
for life, trustee for term of 500 years, and to use of William's heirs
according to the articles.
(6) William Horton and Elizabeth his wife and James horton their eldest
son, and William Horton party as the younger of Wolverhampton
ironmonger, youngest son of William and Elizabeth.
Back to Home Page