Santo La Marca 1 2 3
- Born: Apr 1874, Marianopoli, Caltanissetta, , Sicilia, Italy
- Marriage: Salvatrice (Sylvia) Giarrantana about 1897 in , , Sicily, Italy 1
- Died: 3 Apr 1931, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York at age 57
- Buried: Apr 1931, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York
Another name for Santo was Santo La Mark.
Both of Santo's parents were born in Italy. He could not read or write, but spoke both Italian and English. They came to America in 1900 according to the 1920 U.S. Federal Census.
Notes in his life were:
• Residence, 1918, Horatio, Jefferson, Pennsylvania.
Brother of Santo, Guiseppe La Marca's WWI Draft Registration Card
Name: Giuseppe Lamarca
Birth Date: 25 Jan 1878
Present Occupation: Miner
Employer: (?Dill) Coal Company
Nearest Relative: Brother, Santo La Marca of Horatio, Jefferson, PA
Color of Eyes: Brown
Color of Hair: Light Brown
• Census, 1920, Allen Street, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York. 4 Page 1
1) Santo Lamark, head, age 48, married, immigration 1900, born in Italy, Italian, metal worker.
2) [Sylvia] Lamark, wife, age 42, married, immigration 1901, born in Italy, Italian.
3) Tony Lamark, son, age 20, single, immigration 1901, born in Italy, Italian, metal worker.
• Census, 1920, Allen Street, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York. Page 2
4) Lucy Lamark, dau, age 18, single, born in Pennsylvania, textile worker.
5) Charles Lamark, son, age 16, single, born in Pennsylvania, textile worker.
6) Josephine Lamark, dau, age 8, single, born in Pennsylvania.
7) Carmella Lamark, dau, age 4-3/12, born in Pensylvania.
8) Grace Lamark, dau, age 8/12, born in Pennsylvania.
• Census, 1930, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York.
1) Santo La Mark, head, owned home, value of home $6,000, male, age 57, age at first marriage 25, able to read and write, born in Italy, parents from Italy, Italian spoken, year of immigration 1901, able to speak English, occupation machine operator, metal products.
2) Sylvia La Mark, wife, age 53, age at first marriage 19, unable to read and write, born in Italy, parents born in Italy, Italian spoken, immigration 1900, able to speak English.
3) Carmella La Mark, daughter, age 13, born in Pennsylvania.
4) Josephine La Mark, daughter, age 17, born in Pennsylvania.
5) Grace La Mark, daughter, age 11, born in Pennsylvania.
• Occupation, 1931, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York. 5
J.P. Danielson factory for about 10 years as a machinist according to his death certificate.
• Newspaper, 1931, Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York.
Father Of Six Kills Himself With Shotgun
Santo Lamark, 574 Allen Street, Goes Into Clothes Press, Shoots Self in Head
A dull thud and smoke ___ under the door all of a clothes press in his bedroom caused members of the family of Santo LaMarck, aged 57 years to investigate this morning about 7:15 o'clock at his home, 574 Allen Street. Mr. Lamarck had shot himself thru the head with a 16-gauge shot gun. He had been employed at the J.P. Danielson factory for about 10 years and was considered a good workman. He was at his work as usual Thurdsay. He is survived by his wife and six children. The wife arose this morning and went to a nearby grocery store but had returned before the noise of his body falling to the floor of the clothes closet was heard. Police were told that Lamarck was involved in a lawsuit two years ago in which he lost considerable money and he had long brooded and worried over the incident.
• Obituary, 1931.
Funeral of Mr. LaMark - Funeral services for Santo La Mark were held at St. James' Roman Catholic Church Monday morning with Rev. Augustine Billerio officiating. Music was furnished by Miss Grace Andalora. Bearers were Joseph Fiorella, Emilio Panebianco, Anthony Lombardo, Fioravant Panebianco, Joseph Sameritano and Dominic Marotta. Members of San Prospero society and of Fiume D'Almazio Order of the Sons of Italy, attended. The interment was in Holy Cross Cemetery. Present from out of the city were Mr. and Mrs. Dominic Calla of Sligo, Pa., Joseph LaMarca of Barnesboro, Pa., Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Lombardo of Forest Park, Ill., Mrs. Rose Vestro and daughter, Mary of Salider, Pa., Dick Lisciandro of Reynoldsville, Pa., and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lamarca and Mrs. Grace Scalacci of Buffalo.
• Death Certificate, 1931.
Certified Transcript of Death
STATE OF NEW YORK
Department of Health
NAME: Santo La Marca
DATE OF DEATH: April 3, 1931
PLACE OF DEATH: 574 Allen
PLACE OF BIRTH: Italy
SERVED IN US ARMED FORCES: n/a
MARITAL STATUS: Married
FATHER'S NAME: Anthony La Marca
MOTHER'S MAIDEN NAME: Lucia Andalora
CERTIFYING PHYSICIAN OR CORONER: David Lincoln, coroner MANNER OF DEATH: Suicide by Fire Arms
FUNERAL HOME: F. G. Costanzo
PLACE OF BURIAL: Holy Cross Cemetery
DATE FILED: April 6, 1931 DISTRICT NO.: 602 INDEX NO.: 173
• Tombstone. Tombstone states Santo's date of birth 1973 to 1931
Santo married Salvatrice (Sylvia) Giarrantana, daughter of Charles Giarrantana and Carmella Giarrantana, about 1897 in , , Sicily, Italy.1 (Salvatrice (Sylvia) Giarrantana was born on 22 May 1878 in Marianopoli, , , Italy, died on 16 Jan 1955 in Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York and was buried on 17 Jan 1955 in Jamestown, Chautauqua, New York.) The cause of her death was Chronic hypertension, chronic arteriosclerosis, and rheumotoid arthritis.
Residence: Strattonville, Pa.
Birthplace: Calabria, Italy
Father: Vincenzo Calla
Mother: Isabetta Gatto
Lucy Mary Lamarca
Residence: 574 Allen St. Jamestown, N.Y.
Occupation: Textile employee
Birthplace: Johnston, Penna
Father: Santo Lamarca
Mother: Salvatrice Garatina