Descendancy of Holmes - annotatedCompiled by Paul W. Holmes ggggrandson of Finley Holmes updated: July 2016.
- Finley Holmes Sr. (born 1765) - emigrated from Ireland, resided in South Carolina - married Jenny Downs Holmes in 1792 in (or near) Columbia, South Carolina• James Holmes (b. 1794, d. 1854) • William Holmes (b. 1797) • Mary Catherine Holmes Bryan (b. 1800, d. 1862) • Finley Holmes (Jr.) (b. 1802, d. 1884) • Robert Holmes (b. 1806, d. 1884) • William Thomas Holmes (b. 1810, d. 1888)
- Finley Holmes Jr. (born 1802) - resided in South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi - married Emily Goodwyn Raines Holmes in 1823 in GeorgiaNote on the name of Finley Holmes: This Finley Holmes (born 1802, a junior) has erroneously been shown on the web with a middle name. This Finley Holmes had no middle name. There are no public documents, wills, or tombstones that show him with a middle name as Vance or otherwise. Likewise his son, Finley Holmes (born 1832), who was named for him has no middle name.• Georgiana Jane Goodwin Holmes [Wood] Bott (b. 1825, d. 1899) • Robert Raines Holmes MD (b. 1826, d. 1878) • Alpheus Cadmus Holmes (b. 1828, d. 1881) • Finley Holmes (III) (b. 1832, d. 1849) • Laurentius Holmes MD (b. 1835, d. 1880) • Thomas A. Holmes (b. 1837, d. 1862) • Francis Holmes (b. 1839, d. 1916) • Abercrombie Holmes (b. 1842, d. 1890) • Nathaniel Holmes (b. 1843, d. 1904) • Marcia Elbertina Holmes [Treadwell] Beardsley (b. 1845, d. 1910) • Winfield W. Holmes (b. 1847, d. 1897)
- Francis Holmes (born 1839) - resided in Mississippi - son of Finley Holmes - Elizabeth (Lizzie) Kelley Clarke Holmes in 1866 in Mississippi
• Finley Vance Holmes (b. 1867, d. 1936) • Frank Clarke Holmes (b. 1869, d. 1848) • Lizzie Raines Holmes Fant (b. 1871, d. 1960) • John Elmore Holmes (b. 1875, d. 1935) • Agnes Holmes Hathaway (b. 1877, d. 1965) • Herbert Holmes b. (1878, d. 1960) • Bertha Holmes Beasley (b. 1881, d. 1915)
- Finley Vance Holmes (born 1867) - resided in Mississippi - son of Francis Holmes - Willie Cassandra Harrison Holmes in 1891 in TennesseeNote on the name of Finley Vance Holmes: Finley Vance Holmes (born 1867) was the grandson of Finley Holmes (born 1802) and the great grandson of Finley Holmes Sr. (b. 1765). His middle name of Vance, was given to him by his mother in honor of her stepfather, Judge John W. Vance. The Judge became her stepfather when she was only four-years old. Finley Vance Holmes' son is also named Finley Vance Holmes (born 1894).• Harrison Holmes (b. 1892, d. 1913) • Finley Vance Holmes [Jr.] (b. 1894, d. 1956) • Francis Holmes (b. 1900, d. 1953) • James Elmore Holmes MD (b. 1902, d. 1998) • Lucy Clarke Holmes Kendrick (b. 1910, d. 2000)
Associated cousins: William Holmes (b. in Ireland), William B. Holmes Rev. (b. ~1785), Joseph Holmes Rev. (b. ~1789).
Extended Family Tree - includes: Abercrombie, Clarke, Downs, Goodwynne, Guerry [Gary], Harrison, Holmes, Kelley [Kelly], Raines, and Vance
|Elmwood Cemetery — Memphis, Tennessee|
Burial place for
Finley Holmes (born 1802), his wife, Emily Goodwyn Raines (b. 1806), his son,
Finley Holmes (Jr.) (III) (b. 1832), his brother, Robert Holmes (b. 1806), and in an adjacent plot,
his daughter, Marcia Elbertina Holmes [Treadwell] Beardsley (b. 1845, d. 1910)
with her first husband, Bertie Dekalb Treadwell (b. 1840, d. 1876).
|Comments or queries? — email|
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids