William B. Holmes Rev.Born: ~1785 in Fairfield County SC
Died: after 1850
M. E. Preacher [Methodist Episcopal Church]
William B.'s FamilySpouse: Sarah Holmes
Children: Jane W. Holmes Davis, Sarah Holmes Collier, Joseph Holmes, Francis A. Holmes, Margaret Holmes, three other daughters
William B.'s Heritage
Parents: William Holmes, Mary Holmes
Siblings: Ann Holmes Hawthorn (m. Adam Hawthorn), Jane Holmes, Mary Holmes Martin - m. Robert Martin, Harry (or Henry) Holmes, Joseph Holmes
- Property Indenture • 1795 Fairfield County SC - from William Morris for 450 acres (5 shillings sterling) [copy done in 1835]
- Purchase of Horses and Cows in the year 1815 • Settling in 1818 Fairfield County SC - Involving William Yarborough
- Property Purchase • 1820 Fairfield County SC - from the William Cato Estate for 370 acres
- Property Purchase • 1832 Fairfield County SC - from Edward Willingham for 782 & 1/3 acres
- Lease and Release of Land • 1795/1835 Fairfield County SC - from William Morris for 450 acres (£ 100 Sterling) - original deed to father, William Holmes, Reaffirmed in 1835
- Property Purchase • 1836 Fairfield County SC - from John M. Waring to Wm Holmes et al. - Commissioners of the poor for the Fairfield District - for 287 acres
- Property Sale • 1836 Fairfield County SC - by William Holmes, John Deal, John Bryer, James L. Guignard, and Robert Bryer to Richard Cathcart • 1/5 acre ($ $1500) in town of Winnsborough for Columbia District parsonage
- 1850 Slave Schedules Fairfield County SC - Slave Owner: "William Holmes" with Slaves: 46
- 1820 Census Fairfield County SC - line 3 "William Holmes" - shown next to Joseph Holmes - Free White Persons (FWP) - Males - Under 10: 1, FWP - Males - 26 thru 44: 1, FWP - Females - Under 10: 3, FWP - Females - 26 thru 44: 1, Slaves: 9
- 1830 Census Fairfield County SC - 5 lines from bottom "William Holmes" - shown next to Joseph Holmes - Free White Persons (FWP) - Males - Under 5: 1, FWP - Males - 10-14: 1, FWP - Males - 15-9: 1, FWP - Males - 30-39: 1, FWP - Males - 50- 59: 1, FWP - Females - Under 5: 1, FWP - Females - 5-9: 1, FWP - Females - 10-14: 1, FWP - Females - 15-19: 2, FWP - Females - 40-49: 1, FWP - Females - 80-89: 1, Slaves: 15
- 1840 Census Fairfield County SC - 4 lines from bottom "Homes [sic] Revd Wm" - shown next to Joseph Homes [sic], brother - Free White Persons (FWP) - Males - 10 thru 14: 1, FWP - Males - 15 thru 19: 1, FWP - Males - 20 thru 29: 2, FWP - Males - 50 thru 59: 1, FWP - Females - Under 5: 1, FWP - Females - 10 thru 14: 1, FWP - Females - 15 thru 19: 1, FWP - Females - 20 thru 29: 2, FWP - Females - 50 thru 59: 1, Total Slaves: 51
- 1850 Census Fairfield County SC - line 24 "William Holmes" - shown with Robert R. Holmes, Jane W. Davis (b. ~1814 in Fairfield SC), Margaret Holmes, Francis Holmes, Joseph Holmes, and Mary Martin with her husband (Robert Martin)
- 1860 Census Fulton County GA - line 2 - "Jane W. Homes" (b. ~1815 in SC) is shown with a William Homes (b. ~1795 in Ireland) and Sallie Davis (b. ~1837 in SC), F A Homes (b. ~1830 in SC), George Martin (b. ~1839 in GA), and others.
Tentative Family Tree of cousin William Holmes and his son, William B. Holmes
Tentative Family Tree of cousin William Holmes and his sons
Beasley, Irene. (1973). AS I REMEMBER THEM ---. (Memoirs of the Holmes' family - printed for family distribution)
Chreitzberg, A. M. (1897). Early Methodism in the Carolinas. Nashville: Publishing House of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Family Records, unpublished records of the Holmes family - correspondence, Bibles, interviews, etc.
Newspaper accounts of weddings and deaths, and other public documents for wills, land transfers, etc.
Property deed records and property related matters recorded by Fairfield District/County Clerks Office were provided by Ken Shelton in association with the Fairfield County Historical Museum, the Fairfield County Library, and the Fairfield County Genealogy Society see http://www.ken-shelton.com/Fairfield/Deeds/deeds.htm
United States Federal Census data
Comments or queries? — email
Return to Finley Holmes (born 1765)
Return to William Holmes "
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids