Robert HolmesBorn: 1806, Apr 28 in SC
Died: 1884, Feb 27 - buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Memphis, TN
Never marriedRobert's Heritage
Parents: Finley Holmes, Jane (Jenny) Downs [Downes] Holmes
Siblings: James Holmes, William Holmes, Mary Catherine Holmes Bryan, Finley Holmes, William Thomas Holmes
Robert Holmes, the fourth son, was born in 1806 in South Carolina. He moved as a child with his mother and siblings to Georgia around 1818. The 1830 and 1840 census has him in Talbot County, Georgia; but he moved to Shelby County, Tennessee, about 1844 and farmed there. He never married. In late December of 1883 he told Francis Holmes, his nephew, that he was ill and unable to care for himself. He asked if he could stay at Valley Grove - "from that time up to his death [Francis] cared for him in his sickness and supplied all of his wants."
Robert died late in February 1884. His land adjoined that on which Valley Grove stood. In total, he had 240 acres in Mississippi and 1157 acres in Tennessee near the river. He is buried in Elmwood Cemetery in Memphis alongside his parents.
Find A Grave Memorial # 8599453
- 1850 Slave Schedules Shelby County TN - Slave Owner: "Robert Holmes" with Slaves: 33
- 1860 Slave Schedules Shelby County TN - Slave Owner: "Robert Holmes" with Slaves: 46 - same page with [Nathanial] Thomas Alsbrook
- 1860 Slave Schedules Drew County AR - Slave Owner: "Robert Holmes" with Slaves: 5
- 1860 Slave Schedules Talbot County GA - Slave Owner: "William T Holmes agent for Robert Holmes" with Slaves: 2
- 1830 Census Talbot County GA - line 20 "Holmes, Robert" with Slaves: 13 - same page as David Bryan
- 1840 Census Talbot County GA - line 12 "Robert Holmes" with Slaves: 26
- 1850 Census Shelby County TN - line 25 "Robert Holmes"
- 1860 Census Shelby County TN - line 2 "Robert Holmes"
- 1870 Census Shelby County TN - line 33 "Holmes Robert"
- 1880 Census Shelby County TN - line 48 "Holmes Robert"
- Runaway Slave of Robert Holmes - caught by Johnson - Memphis Police Blotter, 15 May 1859
- Robert Holmes Probate Records 1884 - 1885
- Registry Book from Elmwood Cemetery - "Robert Holmes"
United States Federal Census data
(2004). Historical Census Browser. Retrieved [Date you accessed source], from the University of Virginia, Geospatial and Statistical Data Center: http://mapserver.lib.virginia.edu/.
Family Records, unpublished records of the Holmes family - correspondence, Bibles, interviews, etc.
Newspaper accounts of weddings and deaths, and other public documents for wills, land transfers, etc.
Beasley, Irene. (1973). AS I REMEMBER THEM ---. (Memoirs of the Holmes' family - printed for family distribution)
Davidson, W. H. (1983). A rockaway in Talbot: travels in an old Georgia county, Vol 1, 2. 3. and 4. West Point, GA.: Hester Printing.
Return to Names Directory
Comments or queries? — email
Return to: Finley Holmes (born 1765) "
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids