Elizabeth (Lizzie) Kelley Clarke Holmes
Born: 1841, January 15 in Crittenden County, AK
Died: 1929, March 25 at home of her daughter, Lizzie Fant, in Coahoma, MS - buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, Memphis, TN
The old family Bible takes notice of the fact that one Eliza Kelley married one Thomas E. Clarke, in Madison County AL on Mar 4, 1833. These two people, Lizzie's parents, apparently they moved to Crittenden County, Arkansas, for the old Bible also notes that "in Crittendon [sic] County AK, on Jan 15, 1841 . . . there was born a little girl, whose name was Lizzie Kelley Clarke."
Spouse: Francis HolmesLizzie's Heritage
Children: all were born at Valley Grove at Plum Point, DeSoto County, MS and were by Elizabeth.
- Finley Vance Holmes (b. 1867, September 18; d. 1936, August 10 - buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, Shelby County, TN), married Willie Cassandra Harrison (b. 1872, February 16; d. 1927, May 12 - buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, Shelby County, TN); and married second to Evie Mcleary Holmes (b. 1884, June 29; d. 1982, January 4) - buried in Linwood Cemetery, Paragould, AR. Children: Harrison Holmes (b. 1892, d. 1913), Finley Vance Holmes (b. 1894, d. 1956), Francis Holmes (b. 1900, d. 1953), James Elmore Holmes MD (b. 1902, d. 1998), Lucy Clarke Holmes Kendrick (b. 1910, d. 2000).
- Frank Clarke Holmes (Judge) (b. 1869, December 6; d. 1848, August 27 - buried in Hernando Memorial Cemetery, DeSoto County, MS), married Elizabeth Morgan (b. 1874, d. 1950 - buried in Hernando Memorial Cemetery, DeSoto County, MS) in Hernando, MS. Children: Elizabeth Holmes Bowdre (b. 1900, d. 1990), Bright Morgan Holmes (b. 1903, d. 1925), Francis Holmes, Frank Clarke Holmes [Jr.] (b. 1915, d. 1978).
- Lizzie Raines Holmes Fant (b. 1871, April 7; d. 1960, May 17 - buried in Oakridge Cemetery, Clarksdale, Coahoma County, MS), married Edward M. Fant (b. 1867; d. 1945 - buried in Oakridge Cemetery, Clarksdale, Coahoma County, MS) of Coahoma, MS. Children: Frank Holmes Fant (b. 1895, d. 1965), Charles Edward Fant, Foster Clarke Fant [Dr.] (b. 1901, d. 1982), Herbert Maynard Fant (Judge) (b. 1906, d. 1988).
- John (Johnnie) Elmore Holmes (Judge) (b. 1875 April 18; d. 1935, August 28 - buried at Forest Hill Cemetery Midtown, Memphis, TN), married Eula Owens (b. 1879; d. 1958 - buried at Forest Hill Cemetery Midtown, Memphis, TN). Children: Henry Elmore Holmes PhD (b. 1900, d. 1983), Andrew Owens Holmes (Judge) (b. 1906, d. 1965).
- Agnes Holmes Hathaway (b. 1877, January 1; d. 1965 - buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Mountain View, OK), married Alfred H. Hathaway (b. 1871; d. 1959 - buried in Mountain View Cemetery, Mountain View, OK). Children: none.
- Herbert Holmes (Judge) (b. 1878, September 30; d. 1960, January 19 - buried in Bethesda Cemetery, Senatobia, Tate County, MS), married first Minnie Gabbert (b. 1883, in Senatobia, MS; d. 1910 in Senatobia MS - buried in Bethesda Cemetery, Senatobia MS); married second Arney Eone "One" Gabbert (b. 1890 in Senatobia MS; d. 1980 in Senatobia MS - buried in Bethesda Cemetery, Senatobia MS). Children: from first marriage Minnie Gabbert Holmes Chatham (b. 1910, d. 1999); from second marriage Herbert Holmes (b. 1916, d. 1916).
- Bertha Holmes Beasley (b. 1881, August 14; d. 1915, April 23 - buried in Llano Cemetery, Amarillo, TX), married James Neel Beasley (b. 1878, d. 1963 - buried in Llano Cemetery, Amarillo, TX). Children: Elizabeth Irene Beasley (b. 1904, d. 1980), Agnes Beasley Connors (b. 1909, d. 1991), James Neel Beasley Jr. (b. 1912), Francis H. Beasley (b. 1915, d. in infancy).
Parents: Thomas Elmore Clarke (b. 1808 in Waterbury, CT; d. 1840 in AR), Elizabeth Ann Kelley Clarke [Vance] (b. 1815 in AL; d. 1876 - buried in the Vance Family Cemetery, Hernando, DeSoto County, MS - Find A Grave Memorial # 111239328). Lizzie was the stepdaughter of Judge John W. Vance (b. 1813 in KY; d. 1872 in Hernando, DeSoto County, MS - Find A Grave Memorial # 111239425) of Hernando, MS.
Siblings: George Elmore Clarke (b. 1837 in AL, d. 1858 in Hernando, MS), John W. Vance [Jr] (b. 1845 in MS; d. 1870 - buried in the Vance Family Cemetery, Hernando, DeSoto County, MS), Susie Vance Hunter (b. 1847 in MS; d. 1932 in Memphis, TN), Sallie B. Vance (b. 1848 in MS), Pierce Kelly Vance (b. 1850 in MS, d. after 1920), Mary Vance (b. 1855), George C. Vance (b. 1858, d. after 1870)
Find A Grave Memorial # 8455982
- 1850 Census DeSoto County MS - line 27 "Eliza A. Vance"
- 1860 Census DeSoto County MS - line 10 "E A T Clarke"
- 1870 Census Shelby County TN - line 8 "Holmes Lizzie K"
- 1880 Census DeSoto County MS - line 7 "Holmes K Lizzie"
- 1900 Census DeSoto County MS - line 14 "Holmes L. C."
- 1910 Census DeSoto County MS - line 72 "Holmes Lizzie C"
- Death Calls Mrs. Lizzie K. Holmes - Death Notices from the DeSoto Times-Promoter - 1929
United States Federal Census data
Family Records, unpublished records of the Holmes family - correspondence, Bibles, interviews, etc.
Newspaper accounts of weddings and deaths, and other public documents for wills, land transfers, etc.
Beasley, Irene. (1973). AS I REMEMBER THEM ---. (Memoirs of the Holmes' family - printed for family distribution)
Return to Names Directory "
Comments or queries? — email
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids