Robert Raines Holmes MD
Husband: Robert Raines Holmes MD
Died: 1878 - buried Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
Father: Finley Holmes
Mother: Emily Goodwyn Raines Holmes
Robert Raines Holmes was born in Georgia on the last day of the year 1826. Robert move with the family to Mississippi and in 1844 enrolled in medical school at the University of Pennsylvania. He graduated in 1846 with a medical degree. The 1860 census from Drew County, Arkansas shows a "Robert Holmes", age 33 as of July 1860, born in Georgia, with Jane (age 28, born in South Carolina) and three children (all born in Mississippi). Also shown in the 1860 Mississippi census for DeSoto County is "R R Holmes" (age 34), listed as a physician, born in Georgia - no wife or children listed. The census was taken after early September, 1860. Family records do not show him married, and the Drew County Jane may be just a coincidence. Robert did father a child in 1860 with Susan Glover Williams, a slave at family home, Valley Grove. Susan was born in Georgia in 1840, died in 1905, and is buried in Memphis. The child was Joseph Robert Holmes, born in 1860 at Valley Grove. He became a teacher and farmer living in the Capleville/Whitehaven area near Memphis.
The 1850 census shows "Robert R. Holmes" (age 23) visiting at the household of William B. Holmes in Fairfield County, South Carolina. William B. Holmes is the son of William Holmes who traveled from Ireland with Finley Holmes, the first Finley Holmes in America. Robert lived off and on at Valley Grove, at Desha County, and, perhaps, Drew County in Arkansas. Robert died in 1878 in Jefferson County, Arkansas, and is believed to be buried in Desha County, Arkansas.
Find A Grave Memorial # 81419340
- Attended the University of Pennsylvania 1844-1845 and graduated in 1846
- List of Alumni in Medicine, 1846 at The University of Pennsylvania, Medical School - "Robert Raines Holmes" - page 634
- 1840 Census DeSoto County MS - line 15 "Holmes Finley - Males age 10 to 15"
- 1850 Census Fairfield County SC - line 25 "Robert R. Holmes", August, "Physician" - with William Holmes and his family
- second count 1850 Census DeSoto County MS - line 21 "R. R. Holmes", October - with parents and eight siblings
- 1860 Census Drew County AR - line 14 "Robert Holmes" - also listed: Jane Holmes (age 28), Mary A Holmes(8), William Holmes(4), Martha A. Holmes (1)
- second count also shown in MS 1860 Census DeSoto County MS - line 7 "R R Holmes" - census date not stated
- 1870 Census Desha County AR - line 11 "Holmes Robert R"
- Arkansas State Donation and Swamp Land Sales - Drew County AR
Father with: Jane Holmes
Born: ~1827 in SC
- 1860 Census Drew County AR - line 15 "Jane Holmes" - with children, Mary A Holmes (8), William Holmes (4), Martha A. Holmes (1)
Children by Jane
Child 1: Mary A. Holmes
Born: ~1852 in MS
- 1860 Census Drew County AR - line 16 "Mary A Holmes"
Child 2: William Holmes
Born: ~1856 in MS
- 1860 Census Drew County AR - line 17 "William Holmes"
Child 3: Martha A. Holmes
Born: ~1859 in MS
- 1860 Census Drew County AR - line 18 "Martha A Holmes"
Father with: Susan Glover Williams
Born: 1840, Aug in GA
Died: 1905 - buried in Easthaven Cemetery, Memphis, TN
Father: b. in VA
Mother: b. in GA or VA
Find A Grave Memorial # 138760127
- 1870 Census Shelby County TN - line 1 "Williams Susan" with her son, Joseph and her friend, Thornton Freeman
- 1880 Census Shelby County TN - line 14 "Williams Susan" with her son, Holmes Joseph and her friend, Thornton Freeman
- 1900 Census Shelby County TN - line 5 "Williams Susan" with her son, Holmes Joe and her friend, Thornton Freeman
Child by Susan
Child 4: Joseph Robert Holmes Sr
Born: 1860, Sep 11 in Plum Point, MS
Died: 1935, Mar 28 in Whitehaven, TN - buried in Easthaven Cemetery, Memphis, TN
Spouse: Gertrude M. Tuggle Holmes (b. 1883, d. 1971 - buried in Easthaven Cemetery, Memphis, TN) - married 1906 in Shelby County, TN
Children: by Lou Bonner: William Franklin Holmes (b. ~1896 in MS, d. 1961 in AR); by Eliza Plunkett: Joseph Robert Holmes Jr (b. 1896, d. 1977), Louis Fernandez Holmes (b. 1899, d. 1956); by Henrietta Dillard: Frank Holmes (b. 1897 in TN, d. 1980 in TN), Minnie Belle (Maybelle) Dillard Holmes (b. 1904 in TN, d. 1990); by Gertrude Mabel Tuggle Holmes: Malcolm Quinton Holmes (b. 1909 in TN, d. 1993 in AR), Martha (Mattie) Eliza Holmes Hunt (b. 1911 in TN, d. 1982), John Thornton Holmes (b. 1914 in TN, d. 1982), Charles Elmore Holmes (b. 1916 in TN, d. 1958 in TN), Beatrice Amiel Holmes McHenry (b. 1919 in TN, d. 2000 in KY), Ferdinand Jack Holmes (b. 1921 in TN, d. 1991), Emma Ruth Holmes Mims (b. 1925 in TN, d. 2012 in TN) - three other children by Gertrude Mabel Tuggle Holmes died at birth or in infancy.
Find A Grave Memorial # 138760003
- 1870 Census Shelby County TN - line 3 "Williams [sic] Joseph"
- 1880 Census Shelby County TN - line 15 "Holmes Joseph"
- 1891 Enumeration of Male Voters Shelby County TN - line 325 "J R Holmes"
- 1900 Census Shelby County TN - line 4 "Holmes Joe"
- 1910 Census Shelby County TN - line 1 "Holmes J R" - with wife and three children
- 1920 Census Shelby County TN - line 31 "Holmes Joe" - with wife and nine children and sister in law, Tuggle Emma (42)
- 1940 Census Shelby County TN - line 55 "Holmes, Gertrude" - with children, grandson, and a daughter-in-law
- Shelby County Property Sales • 1912 • 1914 • 1920 • 1922 • 1926 • 1929 • 1934
- Marriage License - Memphis, TN - 1906
- Death Certificate - 1935
Father with: Unknown mulatto
Child by Unknown mulatto
Child 5: Emma Rainey Holmes Havis Leach
Born: 1865 in AR
Spouse: 1st Ferd (Ferdinand) Havis (b. 1847, d. 1918), 2nd John R. Leach (b. ~1857, d. 1931)
Children: Ferd Havis Jr (b. 1892, d. 1960), Joseph Havis (b. 1899), Irma Leach (b. ~1912 - adopted daughter)
- 1880 Census New Orleans Parish LA - line 4 "Homes Emma" boarder at school Sisters of Charity
- 1910 Census Desha County AR - line 51 "Emma Havis" - with three sons
- 1920 Census Desha County AR - line 66 "Leach Emma R" - with husband and adoptive daughter, Irma
- 1930 Census Desha County AR - line 82 "Leach Emma R." - with husband and son, Robert Havis
- 1940 Census Desha County AR - line 56 "Leach Emma" - with son, Fred Havis
United States Federal Census data
Family Records, unpublished records of the Holmes family - correspondence, Bibles, interviews, etc.
Newspaper accounts of weddings and deaths, and other public documents for wills, land transfers, etc.
Beasley, Irene. (1973). AS I REMEMBER THEM ---. (Memoirs of the Holmes' family - printed for family distribution)
Return to Names Directory
Comments or queries? — email
Return to: Finley Holmes (born 1802)
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids