Nathaniel T. HolmesMarried 19 March, 1877 in Drew County AR
Husband: Nathaniel Holmes
Born: 1843, June 22 at Plum Point, MS
Died: 1904, March 19 - buried Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
Father: Finley Holmes
Mother: Emily Goodwyn Raines Holmes
Nathaniel T. Holmes (Nat) was born at Valley Grove in 1843. At the age of 17 in 1861, he enlisted in Company A, Memphis Light Dragoons, and was in the battles of Belmont (Missouri - 1861), Shiloh (Tennessee - 1862), Holly Springs (Mississippi - 1862), Thompson's Station (Tennessee - 1863), as well as other smaller engagements. He was captured by Union forces near Vicksburg on July 9, 1863. He was incarcerated in St. Louis for about a month, then sent to Camp Morton, Indiana for 18 months. Paroled was issued at Richmond, Virginia, on May 1, 1865. Nathaniel returned home at the age of 22 years and farmed land provided by his father for himself in Desha County, Arkansas. He married Flora Virginia Tillar in March of1877 in Drew County, Arkansas. They had six children - three surviving to adulthood, living in Arkansas, Michigan, and New England. Nathaniel spent his time after the war primarily engaged in planting and raising cattle. He owned 880 acres of land at and near Walnut Lake, Arkansas and at a plantation in Selma in Drew County, Arkansas. He died in 1904 in Pulaski County, Arkansas just north of Jefferson County, Arkansas, and is buried with four of his children in Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County, Arkansas.
Find A Grave Memorial # 48022714
- 1850 Census DeSoto County MS - line 27 "N Holmes"
- 1860 Census DeSoto County MS - line 11 "N Holmes"
- 1870 Census Desha County AR - line 12 "Holmes Nathaniel"
- 1880 Census Drew County AR - line 37 "Holmes Nat" with wife and one child
- 1900 Census Drew County AR - line 1 "Holmes Nathaniel"
- Marriage Record Drew AK - March 1877 of Nat Homes [sic]
- Biography of Nathaniel Holmes in GOODSPEED'S Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas - 1890
- Historical Vignettes in the Dumas Clarion - Mar 26, 1969 - Dumas AR
- Arkansas State Donation and Swamp Land Sales - Desha County AR
- Obituray in Confederate Veterans magazine, (1904), v.12, p. 400
Wife: Flora Virginia Tillar Holmes
Born: 1859, Mar 24 in Drew County AR
Died: 1931, 16 Jun - buried in Oakland Cemetery, Little Rock, Pulaski County AR - near her parents
Father: Major Joshua Thomas Westbrook Tillar (b. 1833, d. 1908 - Find A Grave Memorial #58298749)
Mother: Antoinette Pruitt Tillar (b. 1840, d. 1918 - Find A Grave Memorial #58298653)
Find A Grave Memorial #70281964
- 1870 Census Drew County AR - line 36 "Flora V" with parents and five siblings
- 1880 Census Drew County AR - line 38 "Holmes Flora"
- 1900 Census Drew County AR - line 2 "Holmes Flora"
- 1910 Census Pulaski County AR - line 6 "Holmes Flora V" with mother, Antoinette Tillar
- 1920 Census Pulaski County AR - line 50 "Holmes Flora"
- Passport Application - 1919
Child 1: Thomas Tillar Holmes
Born: 1879, 6 Sep
Died: 1896, 21 Aug - buried in Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
Find A Grave Memorial #48022667
- 1880 Census Drew County AR - line 39 "Holmes Tomie"
Child 2: Antoinette (Nettie) P. Holmes O'Connor
Born: 1881, 2 Sep
Spouse: Arthur C. O'Connor of Detroit, MI
Children: Arthur C. O'Connor Jr
- 1900 Census Drew County AR - line 3 "Holmes Nettie"
- 1910 Census Wayne County MI - line 54 "OConnor Antoinette" with husband and son
Child 3: Gordon Holmes
Born: 1882, Aug
Died: 1882, Sep as an infant - buried in Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
Find A Grave Memorial #48022775
Child 4: Clifton R. Holmes
Born: 1883, Sep
Died: 1883, Oct as an infant - buried in Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
Find A Grave Memorial #48022820
Child 5: Ida Lilla (Mae) Holmes Glenn
Born: 1886, 3 Dec
Died: 1982, 15 Aug
Spouse: R. M. C. Glenn of Montclair, NJ
Children: Richard Glenn, Natalie Glenn, Virginia Glenn
- 1900 Census Drew County AR - line 4 "Holmes Lilla"
- 1930 Census Essex County NJ - line 51 "Glenn, Lilla H" with three children
- 1940 Census New York County NY - line 37 "Glenn, Lilla H" with three children
Child 6: Geneva Holmes
Born: 1892, 29 Oct
Died: 1893, 15 Mar as an infant - buried in Walnut Lake Cemetery, Desha County AR
United States Federal Census data
Family Records, unpublished records of the Holmes family - correspondence, Bibles, interviews, etc.
Newspaper accounts of weddings and deaths, and other public documents for wills, land transfers, etc.
Beasley, Irene. (1973). AS I REMEMBER THEM ---. (Memoirs of the Holmes' family - printed for family distribution)
Return to Names Directory
Comments or queries? — email
Return to: Finley Holmes (born 1802)