Hockley Family History
St. John the Evangelist, Bush End
Courtesy Ian Rose
to this site by Margaret Kennedy, Australia -
Member 616 - Richmond-Tweed Family History Society, Ballina, NSW.
- MAY 1988 EDITION
SOCIETY FOR FAMILY HISTORY FEATURED THIS PHOTO ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE
ESSEX FAMILY HISTORIAN
family members are buried in the graveyard of
ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST CHURCH OF BUSH END, NEAR TAKELY AND HATFIELD
FOREST IN ESSEX.
church is almost opposite the main entrance into Hatfield Forest (a
beautiful country park - National Trust) and on a minor road near the A120
between Bishops Stortford and Great Dunmow. The church was built in 1850 as
a chapel of ease to Hatfield Broad Park and in early Spring surrounded by
wild snowdrops and primroses. In the large rockery overlooking the church
the birds were nesting high during May 1988 -
supposedly a sign of a warm Summer.
houses of note are:
BARRINGTON HALL FARM, HATFIELD BROAD OAK AND GREAT HALLINGBURY.
names amongst the very weathered worn memorial stones - none of which are
older than the last quarter of 19th Century are SEVERAL HOCKLEY NAMES.
Bush End, Essex, England
- 1860 - 1872
- BAPTISMS solemnized in the Parish of
St. Johnís the Evangelist, Bush End in the County of Essex in the Year One
Thousand Eight Hundred and ....................................
When Baptized: April 26, 1868
Childs Christian Name: Charles Henry
Parents Name: James and Mary Ann Hockley
Abode: Bridgefoot Farm
Quality, Trade or Profession: Farmer
By whom the ceremony was Performed: Charles Devas, Vicar
- Transcribed by Darlene Heal
1998 - LDS Microfilm # 1702324