This page has been constructed to hold Hockley obituaries. If you have an obituary or found one posted on the Internet and would like to add it to this page simply type the details in an email letter and I will post it to this page. Be sure to include the source! I understand that many times we receive copies of obituaries from family members and the date and name of the newspaper was not recorded, if this is the case, indicate where you think it is from. SEND OBITUARY TO
- This first obituary is not a Hockley, however, I was sure everyone would enjoy it as much as I did! It was published in a Rootsweb newsletter:
- PRATTVILLE PROGRESS, 13 June 1902 (Independence Correspondence):
- "Old Billie is dead." A mule belonging to Mr. D. M. JONES near Huckabee died last Sunday, June 8th, aged 31 years. Billie has been true and faithful to his calling, he has reared seven children to be grown men and women, gave them all a fair education, made farmers of two of the boys and a doctor of one who now resides in Prattville. Billie never failed one time to eat his food in 31 years. He started his 28th crop but was called away before he completed it. The entire family mourns the loss of Billie for they say there are but few Billies like old BILLIE JONES.
WATTERS, Jean Alice (nee Hockley) Born March 26, 1918 near Big Valley, Alberta, passed away in her home at Saanichton, BC on July 21 2010. Predeceased by her husband, Fred A. Watters; son, Henry (Theresa); and brother, Jim Hockley and sister, Marion Woods. Survived by her children: Lawrence (Maureen); Noreen (Graham) Dixon; Murna (Carlos) Cordero; Gary (LouAnn); Neil: Dianne (Manny) Gavilan; David (Barbara); and her brother, Henry Hockley. She leaves 37 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren. She will be missed but happily reunited with loved ones. Service will be held at the Sidney Ward Chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 2210 Eastleigh Way (off Weiller Ave), Sidney, BC on Tuesday, July 27 2010 at 2:00 p.m. 597484
Source: Published in the Victoria Times-Colonist, Victoria, B.C. from 7/23/2010 - 7/25/2010
On Tuesday, January 20, 2009, Evelyn Turner passed away at the age of 93 years.
Evelyn will be sadly missed and lovingly remembered by her children: Steve (Denise) Turner, Bill (Denise) Turner, Mary Lucht, Kathy (Ron) Ricard, Tom (Lucille) Turner, Frank C. (Jan) Turner, Richard Turner (Kathy Kerr) and Ann Turner (Mike Marshall). She is also survived by twenty-three grandchildren, thirty seven great-grandchildren, as well as several nieces, nephews, relatives and friends.
Evelyn was predeceased by her beloved husband Andrew Turner in 2002.
A Prayer Vigil will be held at Holy Family Catholic Parish, 75-Poirier Avenue, St. Albert, on Thursday, January 22, 2009 at 7:00 p.m. Reverend Father Mitchell Fidyka will Celebrate a Mass of Christian Burial at Holy Family Catholic Parish, on Friday, January 23, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. Interment will follow at St. Albert Catholic Cemetery.
If desired, memorial donations can be made directly to the Youville Home "Bus Fund", # 9 St. Vital Avenue, St. Albert, AB. To send condolences please visit: www.mem.com MEMORIES Funeral Home & Crematorium Reception Centre 780-454-9111
- Source: Edmonton Journal, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada - January 21, 2009.
- Submitted by Frank Turner
- At Horsefly Richard Hockley, 85 years of age, died at his home at Horsefly, Thursday, January 14th, as a result of a heart ailment.
- Hockley, who was born in England, came to Canada in his early youth taking up farming in Alberta, 22 years ago or so he came to the Cariboo to settle in the Black Creek district, where he again went to farming until a few years ago. He left Horsefly.
- He leaves to mourn, beside his wife, three sons and four daughters, Mrs. B. Hooker, Mrs. F. Hooker, Mrs. M. Racher and Mrs. Biggs, all of whom reside in the Cariboo. One son, George, lives in Horsefly and the other two remain in Alberta, yet.
- Funeral services were held at Horsefly, Tuesday, January 19th, with Rev. A. Sheward, of Williams Lake, officiating.
- Source: Williams Lake Tribune, Williams Lake, British Columbia, Canada.
- Submitted by Darlene Heal
- Memorial service for Willard Lyle Hockley, late of Yellow Grass, age 76 years, was held Monday, January 10, 2000 at 2:00 p.m. from the Church of Christ with Pastor Harold Cooper officiating. Interment Yellow Grass Cemetery. Willard was predeceased by his parents, D. Henry and Lula Hockley; his brothers, Kenneth and Daniel Hockley. Willard was born May 14, 1923 on White Haven Farm in Yellow Grass. He graduated from Yellow Grass High School and from 1943 to 1944 served as a pilot in the Royal Canadian Air Force. On February 16, 1945 he married Florence E. Klinck of Yellow Grass. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Minnesota Bible College in 1950, later served on the College board of trustees for 20 years. Willard was pastor at Marion Minnesota Church of Christ from 1949 to 1956. In 1958 he helped establish the Meadow Park Church of Christ in Rochester, Minnesota, where he was pastor until 1962. During his 40 year career in the ministry he also served congregations in Litchfield and Coon Rapid, Minnesota; Macomb, Illinois; Seattle, Washington and Mitchell and Scottsbluff, Nebraska and from 1980 until his retirement in 1988 was adjunct professor at Plotte Valley Bible College in Scottsbluff. He returned to Yellow Grass following his retirement. He leaves to mourn, his wife, Florence Hockley of Yellow Grass; his sons: Donald (Paula) Hockley of Rochester, MN; Ricky (Joy) Hockley of Rapid City, S.D.; three grandchildren: Nathanael, David and Matthew Hockley; his brother, Harold (May) Hockley of Mason, Ohio; his sisters: Eileen (George) Chapman of Calgary, AB; Audrey (Merle) of Charlottetown, P.E.I.; one sister-in-law, Irma Hockley of Regina; as well as numerous nieces and nephews. In lieu of flowers donations to the Alberta Bible College, 635 Northmount Dr. N.W., Calgary, AB T2K 3J6 or Maritime Christian, 503 University Ave., Charlottetown, P.E.I. C1A 7Z4. Arrangements in care of Hastings-Dionne Funeral Home Inc., Weyburn.
- Source: http://www.weyburnreview.com/obituaries/2000/2000_03.html
- Bert Hockley
- 1919 - 2004
Bert was born on July 29, 1919 and passed away on January 17, 2004. Predeceased by his loving wife of 58 years, Olive and sisters Doris and Betty. Survived by children Linda, Tom and Mike, grandchildren James, Chris and Heather, sisters Ethel Preston and Phyllis Goscoe. A goodbye tea to be held at Ethel's home, 1628-143B St. Surrey, B.C. on Sunday, January 25, at 2 pm.
- Peace Arch News, White Rock, B.C. - Saturday, 17 Jan 2004