Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Notes on the

Hoagland Family

A Study of Several Branches With Allied Families

compiled by Harry M. Cleveland
November 28, 1999



Copyright Harry M Cleveland, 1999
Distribution rights to this electronic data are reserved exclusively by the compiler.
This data may be used by noncommercial entities.
The data found herein may not be reproduce in any medium for profit or by commercial entities.
Any reproduction of this material requires permission from the compiler.




Chrisopher Hooglandt

Chrisopher Hooglandt
born 1669 (one researcher lists December 17, 1667 - supposedly from a bible record)
baptized November 24, 1669 at the Dutch Reformed Church in New Amsterdam - no witnesses listed.
died 1748 in Millstone or the New Brunswick, NJ area
Prior to 1703 he moved to the 'Raritan' in New Jersey. He had been living in New Utrecht. In 1711, he bought land from Cornelius Powell in Piscataway Township on the east side of the river. In 1727, he purchased 250 acres on the Millstone River. He helped organize and belonged to the Church of the River and Lawrence Brook (now New Brunswick).

Married February 15, 1695 by license (in a book entitled New York Marriages - Book V., p. 148, New York Surrogate's office).

1) Sarah Teller [De Witt] or Tellett ?
born
baptized
died shortly after marriage
Daughter of William Teller (1620 - died after February 2, 1701). His will was written on March 19, 1698 and proved in 1701. He was a merchant in Albany. William married first to Margaret Duncasson [Donchesen/Dunchesen/Donckesen/Dunces] in New Amsterdam and married again on April 9, 1664 to Maria Verleth (died 1702) widow of Paulus Schreck/Schrick. Actually, William was her third husband. The wives of William are said to have had a total of 9 children; Sarah was not listed as being one of them.

Sarah (born 1645) was a half sister of Helena, the wife of Francis Rombouts. Helena had married 1) Cornelius Bogardus, 2) Jan Hendrickse and 3) Francois Rombouts on September 26, 1683 in Albany.

In the records of the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam On September 5, 1684, Francois Rombout and Helena Teller baptized Jannetie witnessed by Jacob Teller and Maryken Wessels. On August 1, 1694, Jacob Teller and Christina Wessels baptized Anna Margareta witnessed by Willem Teller Sr. and Maria Wessels. On June 2, 1700, Arent Schuyler and Johanna Teller baptized Wilhelmus witnessed by Willem Teller Jr. and Maria Varleth wife of Willem Teller Sr. On August 14, 1700, Petrus Beiard and Rachel Van Balen baptized Petrus witnessed by William Teller Sr. and wife Blandina Biards. This cannot be the same William I am searching for[?]. On November 6, 1700, Anthony Brokholes and Susanna Schrik baptized Johanna witnessed by Samuel Bayard, Maria Varleth wife of William Teller Sr. On Nov 29, 1700, Do. Gualtherius Du Bois and Helena Van Balen baptized Elisabeth witnessed by Willem Teller Sr., Isaac de Peyster, and Helena Rombouts, Wed. On Feb 2, 1701; Anderies Teller and Anna Verplanke baptized Andries witnessed by Jacobus Kip, Willem Teller Sr. and Hendrikje Wessels wife of Jacobus Kip.

Teller, Willem (1616 - 1701 his will was made on March 19, 1698), son of Romanus - a Dutch clergyman, emigrated in 1638 in the service of the Dutch West India Company and was at Fort Orange (Albany). Married first to Margaret Duncasson [Donchesen or Dunchesen or Donckesen or Dunces] in New Amsterdam and married again on May 4, 1684 [see April 9, 1664 date] to Maria Verleth (died 1702) widow of Paulus Schreck. Willem resided in Albany (Schenectady) and was a trader. In 1684, he was a justice of the peace. In the records of the Dutch Reformed Church of Brooklyn, Willem Teller widower of Marrariet, married Maria Verleth, widow of Paulus Schrick on May 4, 1684.

From Robert Protzmann <Robert.Protzmann@akzo-nobel.com>
"He came to New Amsterdam, 1639, went to Fort Orange as a Corporal, advanced to Wachtmeester of the fort. Albany 1639-92. Trader, moved to NYC, 1692. One of the first 5 patentees of Schenectady, 1684, (Gov Dongan) though he probably never lived there. He had 5 bouweries and a village lot (Union and Washington Sts)." William had 9 children including "Johannes, b. 1659; d. May 28, 1725; m. Aug 18, 1686, Susanna Wendell, daughter of Capt Johannnes Wendel. To Schenectady. He lost his Schenectady properties on the burning of the town in 1690, by the French and Indians. He was carried to Canada by the French. He retained all the family land in Schenectady, when they removed to NYC."

From Terry Brown <tab@itginc.com>:
William lived in Albany from 1639-1692 and moved to NY (City?) in 1692 with his sons.

Willem's sixth child and third son by his first wife, MARGARET DUNCASSIN was: WILLEM TELLER, Jr. (1657-1710), who inherited the lands his father had owned on the present site of Schenectady and lived there. Later he moved to N.Y.C. and then to lands he acquired from the Indians in Westchester County at what is now Croton's Point, then called Teller's Point on the Hudson. He married Rachel Kierstede (September 12, 1665 - ? daughter of Hans KIERSTEDE and Sarah ROELOFF) on December 15, 1686 in NY. This William lived in Albany. Their children were: Willem TELLER (August 30, 1689 - ?); Willem TELLER (December 25, 1690 - ?) and Hans [Johannes or John-Hans] TELLER (March 12, 1692/93 - ?).

Johannes lived at Teller's Neck in the manor of Cortlandt, Westchester County. His fifth child and fourth son by his second wife Alida Vermilyea was: Luke Teller, who moved to Clinton Town, Dutchess County. During the Revolution he served as a private in the Fourth Regiment of the Dutchess County Militia. He married Sarah Snediker and his third child and second son was: John Teller, born about 1770. He married Deborah Waringand their fifth child and third son was: Soloman Teller (1798-1852). He married Cynthia Grooand their third child and second son was: Samuel Teller, (December 21, 1820- February 25, 1891). His first wife was Elizabeth Deyoe and their first child was: Louise Teller (December 11, 1842 - December 12, 1887). She married John Van Dover.

From: "Robert Protzman" <Robert.Protzman@akzo-nobel.com>
Pieter Janse LOOCKERMANS, b. Tournout, Netherlands; d. NY; m. Marie Teller (b. 1648, Albany, NY). In New Amsterdam, Jan 1642. Settled Albany < 1656, when he purchased a house there. Boatswain, DWIC [Dutch West India Company].

Pieter went to the Albany area. "Pieter Janse Loockermans was a citizen of Beverwyck in 1656, and in 1658 he was a boatswain in the service of the West India Company." See Genealogies of the First Settlers of Albany, Jonathan Pearson on page 75. Pieter was a brother of Govert Janszen Loockerman (listed later in these notes) and Jacob Jansen Loockerman.

From: lschulze@bconnex.net
The Van Alen Family in America incorrectly assumes that Pieter Jansen Loockermans wife was Maria Donckesen a sister of Catalyn who m. Sander Leendertse Glen. The author's reasoning is based on the fact that in the marriage contract of Willem Teller dated 19 April 1664, Willem names his living children by his first wife, Margareit Donckesen, and appoints as guardians Sander Leendertse Glen and Pieter Janse Loockermans, whom he refers to as "uncles" of the said children [this can be found in Early Records of the colony of Rensellaerswyck and County of Albany vo. 1 p. 345]. The author incorrectly assumed that Pieter Jansen Loockermans is an uncle through marriage to Maria Donckensen's sister, whereas in reality Pieter is an uncle through marriage to Willem Teller's sister Maria Teller. The author does mention in a footnote that it is possible that Pieter m. Maria Teller and not Maria Donckesen.

Taken from Daniel Hoogland Carpenter's The Hoagland Family in America:
Govert Loockerman was the original patentee of property in "Hoogh Straat." He resided on the north side of the present Hanover Square. He was a shipping merchant, his partner being Isaac Allerton (one of the New England pilgrims). Loockerman was one of the wealthiest citizens of his time. He died 1671, leaving widow Mary, two daughters and a son. One daughter married Pieter

Cornelisen Vandeveer, and secondly Jacob Leisler. The widow Loockerman died 1678, and the son Jacob, who was a physician, soon after sold the property to his brother-in-law, Jacob Leisler, and removed to St. Mary's, Maryland, where the family name is still known.

Govert Loockerman's Bible, containing his family record, is now in the Archives of the American Bible Society, marked "C. No. 48" of their index, and is a valuable antiquarian relic.

Christopher Hoagland married second 1695 - 1696? [is the date of February 15, 1696 the date of their marriage ?]. She was from Brooklyn at time of marriage. Christopher was from Kings county. On August 6, 1696, Christopher and Helena were witnesses to the marriage of Jan Aertsen Middagh (the first Sheriff of Perth Amboy), son of Jan Aertse. ***** I must confirm this date. *****

2) Helena Aersen (Middagh) named after mother of Helena's father
born between 1675 - 1676 (before March 31, 1676)
baptized
died after 1717
Daughter of Jan (John) Aersen (Middagh) (about 1635-40 probably at Amersfoort, Holland - between April 23 to June 8, 1708 at Brooklyn, NY) and Adriantje (Adrianna) Bleick (about 1635 probably at Batavia, in the Dutch East Indies [Djackarta, Java, Indonesia] - between May 2, 1686-89 at Brooklyn - she likely died shortly before July 10, 1686 but definitely before January 1690 when her husband remarried).

Christopher and Helena had 3 children: 1) Christopher (September 5, 1699 - baptized on September 17, 1699 in New York witnessed by Jan Aartse and Catrine Cregier, wife of Roeloef Schenck [a researcher listed the date of birth as September 15 - according to a bible record] - April 1777 age 78 in Griggstown) married Catalyntie Schenck (May 7, 1705 - November 15, 1776 [or October 5, 1779]). She was the daughter of William Schenck of Flatlands and and Mary Winters who were married on 24 Jun 1704. Christopher Hoagland farmed in Somerset County on the west bank of the Millstone River about a quarter mile from the village Griggstown. He was of the Conferentie Party and was the Deacon Christopher Hoagland mentioned in the Charter of the Reformed Dutch Church of Somerset, Hunterdon and Middlesex counties; 2) John [Johanus](November 27, 1701 at Flatlands - February 15, 1767 in Sourland, Somerset county) married about 1730 to Dinah Probasco (1714 in Somerset county - July 19, 1779) daughter of Jacob Probasco (July 8, 1682, Flatbush, Kings County, NY - December 22, 1755, Middlebush, Somerset County, NJ) and Maria Van Liew (April 29, 1686, Jamaica, Queens County, NY - prior December 1752) who were married about 1707. See Harlingen Reformed Church records - they became members via certificate on November 16, 1764 - they baptized a Maria there on March 31, 1731 witnessed by Jacob Probasco and Maria Van Leeuwen. They baptized other children at Harlingen. They had a son Christopher (1732 - September 14, 1763) who married a Susanna [possibly a Schenck - for a brother see Peter Schenck of Somerset county]. He owned mill property on the Rocky Brook in Windsor, Middlesex county. Also, a son Jacob (1739 - 1808) - children were baptized at the Six Mile Run Church 1759-1761 and Harlingen 1763-1769. He removed to Scholarie County, NY about 1785. He was married to a Maria Dubois; and 3) Martinus (January 7, 1706 - between July 17, 1767 and February 10, 1768) married Phebe Van Winkle, daughter of Jan Okie of Flatbush, circa 1732. They lived in Windsor, Middlesex County, where they owned 312 acres

From a family bible (See GMNJ 33:34):


(Date and several words missing) getrout Christofel (Ho)ogeland mett Helena Aersen Een Doghter van Jan Aersen
Den 17 Desembr is De huys man van Helena Hoogeland het syn Christofel Hoogeland Int yaer 1667.
Den (blank) is Gebore De huys vrow van Christofel Hoogeland het synde Helena Hogeland Int yaer 16 (sic)
Den 15 Septbr is gebore onse Eerste zoon Christoffel Hoogeland Smorens ten 4 Eure Int Yaer 1699. De Getuyge Zynd Jan Aersen and Chathariena Schenk

Christopher and Sarah may have married sometime after January 9, 1695 or 1696 (see Kings County Conveyances 1:332, 2:24, 39, 40, 41) when she convey her one-ninth tract to Jan. The conveyance was probably done in anticipation of her marrying Christopher. She signed her name with a wavy line. The land was extended approximately from the line of present Fulton street, Brooklyn, along the water front to a brook which divided it from the Rapelje property at the Wallabout.

A deed in possession of the family shows that he bought from Cornelius Powell, in 1711, a tract of land in Piscataway township, Middlesex County, on the east side of the Raritan River; and in the deed he is referred to as Christopher Hoogland, late of Flatlands, L.I. This tract contained 104 acres. This he sold, and on October 26, 1727, he bought from William Beekman 250 acres on the Millstone River. He is mentioned as of "The Raritans" in 1723. He and his wife were charter members of the First Dutch Reformed Church in New Brunswick, N.J., in 1717.

Shortly after 1698, Stoffel and his wife moved to the South Ward, New York, where their house and estate were valued at 50 pounds. They lived next to his brother Derreck, on July 15, 1699]. In the 1703 census of the South Ward, it show him, his wife, 2 male children, 2 male slaves, 1 female slave. Some time prior 1711, he moved back to the Flatlands. In 1711 he purchased 104 acres in Piscataway township, Middlesex county, on the east side of the Raritan river (across the river from Somerset). Helena was one of the first members of the First Reformed Church of New Brunswick. In 1727, they removed to a farm on the Millstone river in Somerset County. On October 26, 1727, he purchased from Dr. William Beekman of New York lot #1 of about 250 acres near Griggstown. The 28' by 40' barn that he erected was still standing as late as 1882. He supposedly had a mill.

In 1706, "Stoffel" Hooglandt was taxed on 118 acres of land in Flatlands, L.I. In 1712, "Stoffel" Hooglandt was paid 30 gl. by the town of Flatlands for one and a half months care of Pieter Tull, a pauper. The town poor were cared for by private families, and, as in this instance, their lot would sometimes fall "in pleasant places."

Christopher and Helena lived in the Flatlands. In 1711, he purchased 104 acres of land in Piscataway township, Middlesex, county. In 1717, Helena was a member of the First Reformed Church of New Brunswick. In 1727, he purchased another 250 of land.

From: Jack Middaugh jmiddagh@juno.com
"...Jan AERSEN (or AERTSEN), who is generally referred to as "Jan of the Ferry", never used the surname MIDDAGH. Rather, Teunis G. Bergen in his epochal tome "Early Settlers of Kings County in Alphabetical ..." and in his book "The Bergen Family or the Descendants of Hans Hansen Bergen..." confused him with a s/o Aert Theuniszen (or Anthonize) MIDDAGH who was named Jan Aertsen MIDDAGH who married Geertje Teunisse CLAERWATER."

"... Jan, of the Ferry, (AERTSEN/AERSEN/etc.) married three times. The name of his first wife is unknown but he had a son named Jan/Johannis/John by her. His second wife was Adriaentje BLEIJCK (widow of Johannis NEVIUS and daughter of Swaantje JANS). They had a number of children one of whom was the Helena or Helen who married Christopher HOAGLANDT. His third wife was Elizabeth SMIT, widow of Peter SMIT (or SMITH). Most of Jan AERSEN's children and grandchildren (NONE of whom adopted or used MIDDAGH as a surname - they appear in most records as AERSEN, ARRISON and even HARRISON ) eventually moved to and settled in Northern NJ. Jan himself never moved there even though he once bought a large tract (700 acres) of land there."

He was 'Jan Aerson, of the ferry' and signed his name Jan Middagh even though his father's name was Aertsen. He married three times: 1) ? and had a son Jan who married an Ida Suydam (see HSNY 1897:178; Bergen's Kings Co. Settlers, p. 293). There was a Jan Aertsen baptized in Brooklyn on December 24, 1662. Was this Jan Aerson's son?; 2) Ariaentje Blyck (circa 1636 in Brooklyn - baptized in Djakarta, Java, Indonesia - circa 1689 in Brooklyn) married circa 1674, daughter of ? and Swaentje Jans, possibly from Niedersachsen, Germany. Cornelius De Potter was her step-father. Cornelius and Swaentje were married circa January 22, 1643 in Batavia, Indonesia (see NYGBR 5:158; 6:82). After the death of her father, Swaentje (? - prior May 28, 1692 date will was proven) married at least twice more [Jans de Potter Stryker, who died around 1689, and Joris Felton ?]. Ariaentje was a widow of Johannis Nevius (baptized March 14, 1627 Zolen, Gelderland, Netherland - circa June 1672 in Flatbush). In 1658, Johannis was Secretary of the Burgomasters and Schepens Court. Adriantje had 13 children - 9 by her first husband, Joannes Nevius, and 4 by Jan Aersen. It is believed that she is buried in the Brooklyn church yard. Ariaentje and Joannes, of the ferry, were married on November 18, 1653; 3) Elizabeth Smit[h] (? - after 1710) widow of Peter Smit[h] of Jamaica, Long Island on January 4, 1690 (Banns published) at Flatlands (see NSNY 1898:93). The marriage record was in the records of the Flatbush Dutch Reformed Church. She was living in 1710 (Kings County, N.Y., Deeds, 4:293)

In the Will of Swaentje JANSE, widow of Cornelis De POTTER and mother of Ariaentje BLYCK, dated 31 March 1676, Swaentje leaves everything to her daughter Ariaentje and at her daughter's death, the estate to her children in equal shares. "Issue of daughter Arientje: Maria, Cornelius, Petrus, Sarah, Catherina, Johanna, Catherina NEVINS and Helena AERTSER, procured by her present husband John AERTSON." The will was proven 28 May 1692.

Jan Stryker, who emigrated from the village of Ruinen, in Drenthe, Netherlands, in 1652, married first to Lambertje Seubering; second to Swantje Jans, widow of Cornelius De Potter, on April 30, 1679; third to Teuntje Teunis, widow of Jacob Hellakers.

One researcher states that Swantje Jans joined the Dutch Reformed Church of New Amsterdam after the death of Cornelis De Potter and married on April 4, 1669 to Pieter Delancy. Did Cornelis died prior October 1660. Swantje was born in 1614 [?].

Jan Aersen's will, written on August 11, 1707, mentions: I, John Aerson, of the Ferry, in the township of Broockland in Kings County, on the Island of Nassau..." He left his wife, Elizabeth, "the house where I now live at the Ferry, and all my garden, and one-half of my orchard, and a horse to ride, at her pleasure, during her life..." He mentions his children: eldest son John, Aert, Matteuis, David, and Helena. The lands of Adriean Hoogland bounded Jan's land. He also owned lands on Somerset county, NJ. After the death of Jan's wife, Helena was to have the house and garden spot at the ferry [and the slave Sarah?]. Jan had 6 slaves at the time of his death. His wife was to have a negro girl. The will states, "I leave all my negroes to my said sons, and two of the old negroes, Sambo and his wife Mary, are to stay on the farm, and are not to be sold, and the are to have every Saturday afternoon to work for themselves.

Jan Aersen may have arrived in New Amsterdam on December 23, 1660 on the ship De Trouw (The Faith). There is some doubt by recent researchers whether or not this is the correct Jan Aersen. He brought no family and was unmarried. In the 1675 assessment rolls, he is listed as having no real estate. In 1679, he was the constable of Brooklyn. In 1683, was an overseer of town of Brooklyn. In 1684, was a commissioner (i.e., overseer). He took the oath of allegiance in Kings County on September 26, 1687 and stated that he had been "26 years in this country." His wife had inherited from her first husband the ferry between New York and Brooklyn. Jan operated the ferry up to 1699. In the census of Brooklyn taken about 1698, his family consisted of a man, woman, three children and seven slaves. There were only 78 men and 102 women at the time in all Brooklyn. He was appointed Justice of the Peace on October 14, 1702. In 1705, he was still living at The Ferry. In 1707, he owned at least 200 acres at The Ferry and 700 acres in Somerset county, NJ. On November 10, 1697, Jan was ordered to transport no Negroes without a ticket from their masters in an attempt to curb the running away of slaves. Jan signed some documents with his 'mark' which looked like a 'j w' and another character. Elizabeth, his wife, signed with a backwards capital E.

Jan Aertse Middagh owned a farm of about 200 acres in Brooklyn, covering parts of the present Fulton Street and Middagh Street. His name is on record among those who took the oath of allegiance in Kings Co., September 30, 1687. His wife was the daughter of Cornelis De Potter, who married the widow Johannes Nevius, and owned a plantation close by that of Middagh. It is stated that De Potter built the first three-masted vessel in this country. The "ship" was completed about the time of his marriage, and appropriately names the "New Love."

On August 6, 1696, Helena Middagh and her husband, Christopher Hoagland were witnesses to the marriage of "Jan Aertsen" Middagh, son of Jan Aertse. This Jan Aertsen Middagh was the first sheriff of Perth Amboy, and he is recorded as John Harrison, and under that name a memorial tablet was, in 1825, erected to his memory in St. Peter's Church, Perth Amboy. In 1717 he bought 3,000 acres of land at what is now Basking Ridge. As late as 1738, in a deed to Adrian Hoogland of land at Amwell, he signed his name John Arrison. Another brother, Derrick Middagh.

In the records of the Dutch Church, on November 18, 1653 the marriage banns of Johannes Nevius and Araientje Bleyck were published. Araientje was from Batavia, isle of Java, East Indies. Johannes was from Solen (probably Sollingen in Westphalia) and was a trader during his early life. He later settled in New Amsterdam and engaged in mercantile pursuits. Johannes was elected a city schepen and became secretary of the court of burgomasters and schepens in 1658. Johannes was secretary of New Netherlands. He lived at the Ferry in 1657. About 1670, he started operating the ferry to Long Island. From 1658 to 1664, he lived at the City Hall opposite Coenties Slip. During this time period, he served as secretary of the Court of Burgomasters and Schepens and was one time granted permission to sow grain in the front yard of City Hall. Johanes probably died in 1672 because on July 1, 1672, Ariantie was allowed to continue the ferry. Johannes Nevius was the son of Johannes Neeff (Nevius is the Latinized form) (baptized November 13, 1594 at Sologne, Rhineland, Germany - ?) and Maria Becks (circa 1600 Cologne) who were married August 7, 1625.

A Dutch record reads: Johannes Nevius, Van Solen [? Zoelen, Gelderland ?] in de Betuwe, en Ariaentje Bleijck, Van Batavia in Oostindien. Dominie Joannes Megapolensis performed the marriage. In the East Indies, she must have been living at the home of her second step-father.

***** See Nevius book! - pp 136, 664, et al *****

Swaentje Jans, mother of Adriantje Bleick, was possibly born in Enbden (just over the Rhine from the Netherlands in East Friesland) about 1610 and died 1686. She married several times: 1) about 1630 to a Bleijck. Kenn Stryker-Rodda, whose research provided most of this information, suggested that her first husband was an Englishman. It may have been a Dutch attempt to spell Blake. Her first husband may have been Mathew Blake; 2) Joris Felten; 3) Cornelius de Potter (intentions, January 22, 1643, at Batavia Dutch Reformed Church, "Swaentie Jans from Embden, widow of Joris Felten, former skipper in the service of the East India Company" (who may have been English) and last to Jan Stryker (Intentions April 12, 1679, married April 30, 1679 in the records ... "a special day, viz Wednesday"). Corneliys De Potter was an onderkoopman of the East India Company at Batavia, East Indies, in 1632, and procurer in 1636, at which time he was mentioned as from the Hague. At the time of his marriage to Swaentje, he was designated as from Rotterdam. He had been married to Elisabeth Der Jacobs prior to February 1636. Their daughter married Peter De Lenoy, mayor of New York. Cornelius first appears in the records of New Netherlands on June 13, 1651 as a joint owner with Guleam Wys of the Bontekoe (Spotted Cow), a ship that brought numerous families to New Netherlands from the Netherlands. In July 1651, he was at the South River (Delaware) as one of a group who were sent to persuade the Indians not to sell land to the Swedes. He was living in October 4, 1659 but died before 1660. Swaentje was admitted to membership in the Brooklyn Reformed Church on letter from Manhattans on December 29, 1660. She entered into a prenuptial agreement with Peter Stryker prior to their marriage. In her will, she sets free 2 slaves that were married. However, their son, Domingo, is to serve 15 years after the death of Swaentje. He is not to be sold or transported out of the country. Her daughter, Helena, received 1 Looking glass, 3 Pictors [picture ?], 1 Cruslerr, a cow and money.