Temeku- The ancient Indian word, meaning
"The place where the sun breaks through and shines on the white mist"
You can see below the "white mists" that still hang over the east slope of the mountains west of Temecula in the morning. When the early sunlight strikes the fog, it can be so bright and glaring that it hurts your eyes to look upon it. It can make the mountains look as if they were made of Gold....and all the buildings in the valley as well...
The Nahachish Stone - known today as "Monster Rock"
Macedonia L.M. Machado - And his old Spanish California family
THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RANCHER:
by Philip S. Rush
September 1952, page Twenty-seven
[some editing & additional info provided by Teddie Anne "Annie" Driggs, 1998]
Centuries before the first white men ever saw this country, there were numerous tribes of natives living here. they were chiefly a nomadic people, who moved from place to place with the seasons which produced their food --- living in the high mountains when herbs and nuts and berries were plentiful, sometimes following wild game from point to point, and frequently visiting the sea shore for fish and shell foods. Few had even the semblance of permanent homes.
See the Legend of Nahachish Stone...known in my Swedish Hindorff family
as Wheaner-Whiner Rock...more recently called the Monster Rock by Newcomers & 'Turistas'.
In their migrations from the mountains to the
sea, they had fairly well-developed routes used year after year
-- trails which followed the natural contours of the land where
traveling was easiest and water and food were to be had. One such
route used for many centuries was from the mountains back of
Warner's Hot Springs (El Vale de San Jose), down the Temecula and
Santa Margarita Valleys to the sea, near Oceanside. Some
investigators have estimated that nomadic humans traversed before
the birth of Christianity.
Throughout all this region numerous native artifacts have been discovered - meteros, metates, manos, ollas (some of which were used as burial urns after cremation of the dead), stone implements such as arrows and axes. Many of these have been gathered in public museums, but valuable private collections have been made by Harry Bergman, of Aguanga, Carl Bemis of Temecula, the Temecula Lumber Co., Mrs. Alice Machado of Temecula, judge Marco Foster of San Juan Capistrano, (Eric Charles Hindorff of Fallbrook- see story of The Adobe ), and others. All speak of peoples long gone, of whom we know little.
In 1947 and 1948 the Archaeological Survey Association of Southern California, led by B. E. McCown of San Diego, unearthed a village site on the north side of the Temecula River, a little over two miles northeast of Fallbrook, and the same group is now excavating another site just west of the new (1952) Highway 395 bridge across the Temecula River. Both expeditions have brought to light many native artifacts, and the present investigations have unearthed evidences of an extensive village which possibly dates back 6500 years and was known as Temecu. Their work is highly interesting and valuable, and may develop much hitherto unknown information about these natives.
The first white men known to have visited this country were soldiers and padres seeking new locations for mission settlements. From San Diego in 1795 Capt. Juan Pablo Grijalva led a party through the Ramona country to El Vale de San Jose (now known as Warner's Hot Springs), and back along the San Luis Rey River, a few miles south of the Temecula Valley. Two years later Capt. Lisalde led another party from San Juan Capistrano, possibly directly through the Temecula country.
San Luis Rey (the mission) was founded in 1798 and within a few years the mission herds and flocks were grazed in far flung areas, leading to the establishment of a granary (a storehouse for grains) at Pala in 1810, and a chapel there in 1816 and at Santa tsabel in 1818. A granary and chapel also were established at Temecula, but mission records thus far found fail to indicate either the year or the exact location. Grass covered adobe mounds and fragments of roof tile near the Vail Ranch headquarters indicate the definite location of a Spanish building, which may have been this outpost, especially since a large native village was nearby. The excavations of B. E. McCown and associates some two or three miles down the river valley indicate that there was also a Spanish building there.
The Indian word, Temecula, is supposed to mean
(loosely translated), "Heat of the Rising Sun" or
"Glare of the Rising Sun,"
As near as the Indian Language can be translated into modern English, Temeku means, "the place where the sun breaks through and shines on the white mist."-edited by T. Driggs ~See the Legend of the Nahachish Stone~
In the closing days of the Mexican reigne in
California, there were many Indians living in this neighborhood,
but this did not deter the Mexican governors from granting all
the lands for miles around to private individuals. Felix Valdor
was granted over 26,000 acres as Temecula Ranch, while adjoining,
just to the east, Vincente Moraga and Luis Arenas were granted
Pauba Rancho of over 25,000 acres. North and west of the Temecula
grant was Santa Rosa, 47,000 acres granted to Juan Moreno and
Juan Luis Vignes, owner of the Aliso vineyards and winery "de la Cuidad de Los Angeles", obtained possession of both Pauba and Temecula ranchos, which according to an old deed in the Spanish language, on file at the San Diego civic center, he sold to a group "de la Cuidad de San Francisco." in 1853 for $25,000.
The Temecula Valley was the route of the famous Mormon Battalion (who participated in the Mexican War), on their long transcontinental (march from Council Bluffs, Iowa) to the Pacific Coast (through the deserts of New Mexico and Arizona and into California at San Diego). There is a tradition that just before they arrived here, there had been a furious battle between native tribes, and that dozens of Indians had been killed, between Temecula and Pechanga.
In 1846, eleven white men were captured at the old Pauma ranch house, a few miles south, on the San Luis Rey River, and massacred near Warner's, where they were taken as prisoners. A thousand Luieno Indians gathered near Aguanga, east of Temecula, determined to exterminate all the white settlers, but Ramon Carrilo, Jose del Carmen Lugo and other Spaniards, aided by a band of Cahuilla Indians routed the troublemakers, killing 100 of them. The old Pauma ranch house still stands (in 1952), on the property now owned by Guilbert & Stroscheim.
Some years later, Jose M. Gonzales, Juan Murietta, Señor Zanjuro and Señor Pujoe, all pure Castilian Spanish, came to California and bought certain lands of Temecula rancho for the purpose of subdividing them. Louis Wolfe, a German, and his wife Ramona, were conducting a store and saloon at the "native" village of Temecula. Nearby were the huts of the natives, and a cemetery. The Indians were dispossessed of their lands and resettled in Pechanga, a few miles southeast, and this episode became the basis for Helen Hunt Jackson's famous book "Ramona", in which she depicted the brutality of the new settlers to the natives. Wolfe's name was changed to Hartsell, in the book, and was portrayed as the hero, Allesandro (remembered locally as a worthless Indian sheep sheerer) is supposed to have pawned his dead father's violin with Wolfe before he and Ramona journeyed to San Diego to be wed by Father Gspara (who in real life was Father Ubach, a San Diego priest) in the old adobe still known as Ramona's Marriage Place. The old Wolfe store building still stands, being used as a warehouse at the Vail Ranch headquarters. Part of the book "Ramona" was written by Mrs. Jackson at the Bergman ranch, near Aguanga.
[The violin may actually have been the one taken in on trade for goods by my Great Grandfather, Per Gustav Hindorff, at his Harness shop & Leather Goods store, and is still in family possession.]
On the east wall of the old adobe in 1951, was dedicated a bronze plaque by the Daughters of the Golden West, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the signing of a treaty of peace between the whites and Indians, within this building. The dedicatory ceremonies were a gala event in the little village of Temecula., and "Queen for A Day" was 85 year old Mrs. Alice (Aunt Allie Vaughn) Machado, dressed in ancient costume. Mrs. Machado came to Temecula many years ago as a young school teacher from Iowa, and married Macedonia (Mac) Machado, one of the heirs of the Machado family, which once had owned all of Laguna Rancho and Santa Rosa Rancho - a princely domain of thousands of acres north and west of Temecula including all the Elsinore country. (SEE "story" below for Macedonia Machado) Their herds of cattle numbered the thousands throughout all California. Another special guest of the day was Ysabel Gonzales Barnett, wife of Judge A. B. Barnett. She is the daughter of Don Jose Gonzales, one of the founders of Murietta, and was the first white girl child born in the Temecula Valley. Incidentally, the little city of Murietta was named for Don Juan Murietta, a partner of Gonzales, and not for the bandit, Joaquin Murrietta, whose depredations alarmed all Californians in bygone days.
When the Butterfield stage line was opened, its route was through Warner's Hot Springs, Temecula and Temescal Canyon. The old adobes still stand at Warners, Oak Grove and Temecula were stage stations, as well as the ruins in Temescal Canyon between Elsinore and Corona.
An impetus to the growth of the Temecual Valley was the building of the roadway from the Mormon settlement of San Bernardino to San Diego, followed in 1882 by the California Southern Railway, from Colton and San Bernardino through Elsinore, Murietta, Temecula, the Temecual Canyon, Santa Margarita Rancho, and Oceanside to San Diego. In 1884, heavy floods washed out the lines in the Canyon , but the Land Boom was on, so the tracks were rebuilt the following year. Murietta and Temescal boomed with the land boom and slumped with the "bust". In 1891 another flood again closed the railway through the Canyon, and with the boom over, it was never rebuilt. Even the section between Elsinore and Temecula was eventually abandoned, adding gloom to the already depressed settlements. Eventually the San Francisco Savings Union foreclosed on thousands of acres of the old ranchos, and they were sold to W. L. Vail in 1906. The present holdings of the Vail Ranch Co., of which Mahlon Vail is head (1952), include over 90,000 acres of lands once part of the Temecula, Pauba and Santa Rosa land grants.
Once there was a small country school house in the canyon between Fallbrook and Temecula, near where B.E. McCown and friends are now delving into the past. Some 20 or 25 years ago, a French-Indian girl from a small Temecula farm disappeared one evening while looking for the family milk cows in the canyon. Later her bruised body was found along the river, but it was never known whether she had accidentally fell over the canyon walls or was murdered and thrown over.
Temecula Valley is one of those interesting places which lives largely in the past - a long distant past that is still not too well known - but combines the mystery of ancient prehistoric peoples and their habitations, the romance and tragedy of the more recent natives, and the adventures of those who came in the great Land Boom. It is the country home of Erle Stanley Gardner, the world's greatest modern-day mystery story writer, maybe some day he will tell its saga as only an author of his ability can do.
Story From: A History of California
HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD
Historic Record Company of Los Angeles (est.1907); from Volume 1, page 1027:
Macedonia Llora Merrion Machado "Mac"
BACK to the 1883 Emigrant Train
BACK to The Harness Maker
Hindorff Family Pages - the main HINDORFF Directory page
GUESTBOOK - Please take a moment to sign my Guestbook
Our Family files will always be "Under Construction" but will be updated as new information becomes available, so check back often. Please feel free to contact me if you discover any errors or omissions . If you would like to contribute a story or photos, let me know. Put the title of the Page in the SUBJECT box of your inquiry, so that I may more quickly respond to your message.
stories, photos, or any other information pertaining to this web
site are the property of this author Or are protected otherwise
by copyright. All rights reserved. © 1999/2000/2001/2002/2003
NEWLY UPDATED - Feb. 26th, 2003
No part may be used for commercial purposes nor without express written consent of the WebPageMaster.
Thank you for stopping by.
Teddie Anne Driggs