M, b. 22 March 1889, d. 30 May 1962
Millard Riley Hickman was born on 22 March 1889 at Mannington, WV.. He was the son of Joseph Morgan Hickman and Sarah Virginia Cunningham. He enlisted in U.S. Navy. on 24 July 1907.15 He served for 8 years and sailed with the "Great White Fleet" that sailed around the world. He was a mechanical engineer for Westinghouse Machine Co in 1917 at Chester, PA..8 He married Helen Margaret Gardiner, daughter of Hedley T. Gardiner, on 15 July 1919 at Berkeley, CA..15,16 He was an Engineering Superintendent in San Fransico Bay Area. He was installed as President of American Society of Marine Engineers in 1930.17 He and Helen Margaret Gardiner were divorced on 7 September 1934.18 He married Lillian H. Rankin in 1935.19 He was a Mason. He died on 30 May 1962 at San Francisco, CA., at age 73. He was buried at Mt. View Cemetery, Oakland, CA; plot 14D, grave 33.
Children of Millard Riley Hickman and Helen Margaret Gardiner
Child of Millard Riley Hickman and Lillian H. Rankin
- Herbert Hugh Hickman b. 20 Apr 1937, d. 6 Jul 2006
- [S1124] 1900 Marion Co, WV. Census, Mannington.
- [S1279] 1920 Alameda Co, CA. Census, Oakland.
- [S1355] 1930 Alameda Co, CA. Census, Alameda.
- [S1147] Hickman Bible.
- [S1088] Obituary ,Oakland Tribune, 31 May 1962.
- [S1105] California Death Record.
- [S1289] W.W.II Draft Registration.
- [S1035] W.W.I draft registration card.
- [S2514] Oakland Directory ,1923-28.
- [S3024] Passenger List: San Francisco to Hawaii Sept 1929.
- [S2797] WV Birth Record.
- [S3656] 1940 San Francisco, CA. Census.
- [S3756] John W. Leonard, Who's Who In Engineering, p. 596.
- [S2813] Fairmont Directory ,Mannington 1904.
- [S2067] Bee Gum Scrapbook of newspaper clippings, compiled by Nancy A. Cunningham, and then Annie McFarland.
- [S1301] Oakland Tribune, 21 July 1919.
- [S2485] San Francisco Chronicle ,28 Feb 1930.
- [S2485] San Francisco Chronicle ,8 Sep 1934.
- [S2485] San Francisco Chronicle ,16 Feb 1936.