noon lectures, open to the public at a nominal fee. These are usually given in the Grand Opera House, where are heard during the winter some of the best lecturers in the country. Through the efforts of Librarian A. W. WHELPLEY, they are largely attended, and have become a permanent fixture in the life of the city. The Unity Club comprises both sexes and has varied objects. Its membership is very large and far reaching. Throughout the winter on Wednesday evenings a regular course of exercises is carried out. One night it is a lecture by some member on some literary subject, the next night a debate, the following an amateur dramatic performance, or an opera, and so on throughout the year. These lectures are so arranged that they form a connected whole on some subject, each member being assigned a particular branch of the topic under study for treatment.
The Cuvier Club was organized in 1874, for the protection of game and fish and for social purposes. It has a very fine collection of 3,000 specimens of birds and fish. The building of the Club, on Longworth street, is excellently designed with a large room for a museum above where are trophies of the chase and social rooms with a small library and periodicals. The club claims to make the best laws, to catch the best fish and game in season, and to have in its membership the best whist-players of this section. The club has been of great service in keeping before the public and various legislatures the great harm that arose from the indiscriminate pursuit of game and fish and it has been indefatigable in its efforts to procure the enactment an enforcement of suitable laws.
Then there are the Ladies’ Musical Club, a Press Club composed of journalists and four large purely social clubs. Two of these, the Allemania and the Phoenix, are limited entirely to those of Jewish extraction. The Queen City Club has the handsomest building, and here are gathered the men of wealth of the city. It has attached a ladies’ apartment, which is enjoyed by the wives and daughters of its members. Billiard rooms and card rooms are plenty, and its table excellent. Within the club is another club, the Thirteen Club, with thirteen members, which seats itself and dines on the Thirteenth hour of the Thirteenth day of each month. The Ananias Club, devotes itself entirely to dining. The object of this club is good fellowship and the promotion of truth. It numbers its members newspaper men, lawyers, doctors, artists and musicians. It has no Constitution and only one officer, whose business it is to attend only to his own. At its dinners, which are only occasional, there rests in the centre of the table the original hatchet used in G. Washington in his famous cherry tree difficulty, surmounted by the skull of Ananias which is alike original—the identical skull which he used when living. The annual meeting is always held on Washington’s birthday; of course, his first and only one.
The Country Club has a very comfortable place near Carthage, with a convenient clubhouse and large grounds, where can be had tennis, shooting, or any sports that suit the fancy. It is sufficiently far from the city for a pleasant drive for the members and their friends. The University Club is composed entirely of college graduates, and about all the principal colleges in the country are represented. As with the Queen City Club a large number of its members lunch here regularly.
Two other characteristic clubs are the U. C. D. and the Literary Club. The U. D. C. is a club organized of ladies and gentlemen in 1866 on Mount Auburn, for the reading of essays, music and theatricals.
The same year the club discussed and decided in the negative, “Are there any causes at present existing from which we have reason to fear a dissolution of the Union?” Among its members have been, many prominent men beside those here mentioned. Buchanan READ, Salmon P. CHASE, Fred. HASSAUREK, O. P. MORTON, James BEARD, Generals MC CLELLAN and POPE, John W.HERRON, John M. NEWTON, W. F. POOLE, Ainsworth SPOFFORD, Moncure D. CONWAY, Henry HOWE, Chas. REEMELIN, J. B. STALLO, Donn PIATT, F. F. NOYES, Alphonso TAFT, etc. At the outbreak of the war the club organized itself into the Burnet Rifles, about 60 in number; a larger part of the members became officers in the Union army. The club is very flourishing, with an increased membership.
THE OHIO STATE FORESTRY ASSOCIATION.
When in 1881 the VON STEUBENS came to America to unite in the centennial in the celebration of the Surrender at Yorktown, in which their ancestor, General VON STEUBEN, had taken such an illustrious part, they visited Cincinnati. Among them was Baron Richard VON STEUBEN, the Royal Chief Forester of the German Empire.
In conversation with him some of the gentlemen of the city became so deeply interested on the subject of forestry, that they met in conference in January, 1882, to take measures to interest the people in the subject. They were Col. W. L. DE BECK, Rev. Dr. Max LILIENTHAN, the Hebrew rabbi; John B. PEASLEE, School Superintendent; Hon. John SIMPKINSON, the first President of the Association; Col. A. E. JONES and Hon. Emil ROTHE. Through a committee then organized, for the next three months the press of the country laid before the people the subject of forestry in its various important aspects. The continuous history of the subject we take from a pamphlet, “Trees and Tree Planning,” with exercises and directions for the celebration of Arbor Day, by John B. PEASLEE, Supt. Public Schools issued by the Ohio State Forestry Association, Cincinnati, 1884.
The work of the committee culminated in a three days’ meeting at Music Hall, April 25th, 26th and 27th, at which most of the distinguished foresters of this country and Canada were present and read papers before the scientific department. The excellent programme for this meeting was principally made by Dr. John A. WARDER and Prof. Adolph LEUÉ. Governor FORSTER made the address of welcome.
The public schools were dismissed on the 26th and 27th, to enable the pupils and teachers to take part in the celebration of tree planting in the public parks. The 27th had been appointed as Arbor Day by proclamation of the Governor. Extensive preparations had been made for its appropriate celebration in Eden Park.
The city was in holiday attire. The soldiery and organized companies of citizens formed an immense procession under command of Col. S. A. WHITFIELD, and marched to the park, where the command was turned over to Col. A. F. JONES, the officer in charge. The school-children were under the charge of Superintendent PEASLEE. Fifty thousand citizens covered the grassy slopes and crowning ridges, those assigned to the work of transplanting trees taking their respective places.
At the firing of the signal gun “Presidents’ Grove,” “Pioneers’ Grove,” “Battle Grove,” “Citizens’ Memorial Grove” and “Authors’ Grove” were planted and dedicated with loving hands and appropriated ceremonies.
Day celebration in Ohio. And thus closed the first session of the American Forestry Congress, which embraces in its scope the United States and Canada.
In 1883 the Ohio State Forestry Association, the outgrowth of the American Forestry Congress was organized. The organizers were Dr. John A. WARDER, Prof. Adolph LEUÉ, Col. A. E. JONES, Hon. John SIMPKINSON, Supt. John B. PEASLEE, Gen. Durbin WARD, Hon. Emil ROTHE, Hon. Leopold BURCKHARDT, D. D. THOMPSON, Prof. N. B. WARDER, Prof. Adolph STRAUCH, Dr. A. D. BIRCHARD, Hon. Charles REEMELIN, Prof. W. H. VENABLE, Dr. W. W. DAWSON, John H. MC MAKIN, Esq., and perhaps a few others. A convention was held in April.
By authority of a joint resolution adopted by both branches of our State Legislature, Governor FOSTER issued his proclamation, appointing the fourth Friday in April as Arbor Day, which was the last day of the convention. Accordingly, the association had made extensive preparations for its celebration in Eden Park by the citizens and by the public schools.
This second celebration of Arbor Day in Cincinnati was thus described at the time.
“The east ridge of the park was thronged with the associations planting tablets to the memories of the Presidents of the United States, the heroes of Valley Forge, and the pioneers of Cincinnati in their respective groves, while the northern projecting slope of the ridge was occupied by fully seventeen thousand school-children in honoring “Authors’ Grove. Viewed from the summit of the ridge immediately west, the sight was one of the most animating ever brought before the eyes of Cincinnatians. The entire ridge, nearly a third of a mile in length, was occupied by those persons taking part in the first-named ceremonies, while the slope designated was occupied by a dense mass of gayly dressed children in active motion over a surface of about five acres, and whose voices, wafted across the deep hollow to the Western ridge, sounded like the chattering from a grove hill of happy birds. The eastern slope of the west ridge was occupied by three thousand or four thousand spectators, who, reclining on the green spring sod of the grassy slopes, quietly surveyed the scene from a distance. In all there were over twenty thousand persons present. Over in the centre of the east ridge was the speakers’ stand, with a tall staff bearing the national colors rising from the centre, while smaller flags marked the trees dedicated to each author. The grove to the honor of Cincinnati pioneers had been by the association and yesterday the tablet was laid to their memory. All the tablets were of uniform size and construction, each being of sandstone, twenty-four by thirty-six inches surface, and eleven inches depth. That for the Cincinnati pioneers contained at the upper centre a figure of the primitive log-cabin, and the following inscription, ‘Planted and Dedicated to the Memory of the Pioneers of Cincinnati by the Forestry Society.’ Below were cut the names of the pioneers.
“‘Presidents’ Grove’ bore a tablet with the following inscription ‘Presidents’ Grove, Planted and Dedicated to the memory of the Presidents of the United States, by the Forestry Society, 1882, Cincinnati, April 27th’ Then followed the names of all time twenty-one Presidents, down to President Arthur.
“‘Centennial Grove’ was planted in 1876 by Colonel A. B. JONES, from trees brought from Valley Forge. The tablet he had laid yesterday was dedicated to the heroes who served with Washington at Valley Forge. Following is the inscription: Eagle bearing the scroll ‘Centennial Grove. Dedicated to the memory of 1776, and the patriots who suffered with Washington at Valley Forge, brought from that historic ground and planted By A. B. JONES, April 27, 1876.’ Then followed the names WASHINTON, KNOX, LAFAYETTE, GREEN, HAMILTON, GATES, WAYNE, PUTNAM, H. LEE STUBEN, WELDIN, MUHLENBURG, SULLIVAN, STARK, WARREN, McINTOSH, POTTER, MAXWELL, WOODWARD, PATTERSON, ALLEN, DE KALB, KOSCIUSKO, MARION, C. LEE, GLOVER, POOR, LARNED, SCOTT, PULASKI, SUMTER, LINCOLN, MORGAN, SMALLWOOD, EBERHARDT.
trees having previously been planted, small granite tablets, about eight inches square, bearing the name of the author honored and the date of the ceremony, were sunk, in most cases uniformly with the surface of the sod, in the immediate vicinity of the tree. Thus the exercises were dedicatory only.”
These were the first memorial groves ever planted in America; the first public planting of trees in honor of memory of authors, statesman, soldiers, pioneers and other distinguished citizens.
The credit for the inauguration of Arbor Day anywhere is given to Hon. J. Sterling MORTON, who suggested the propriety of the day and was instrumental in effecting the first observance, while he was governor of Nebraska, in 1872. Since that date it is stated that in Nebraska have been planted six hundred millions of trees.
The two following articles upon floods and riots were written for this work, by Mr. Harry M. MILLAR, of the editorial corps of the COMMERICAL GAZETTE.
OHIO RIVER FLOOD.
BY HARRY M. MILLAR.
The Ohio river, one of the greatest, national waterways, 950 miles in length, is formed at Pittsburg by the confluence of the Allegheny and Monogahela rivers, coming from opposite directions. The Allegheny sources are numerous creeks in the mountains of New York, and is fed by hundreds of other tributaries that traverse Western Pennsylvania and parts of Ohio, draining an area of 13,000 square miles. The sources of the Monogahela are not large streams but they are numerous, especially in Maryland and West Virginia.
The Cheat river, its largest tributary, drains much mountainous country, and its sudden fluctuations are a wonder to not only visitors but the inhabitants along its banks. It is a frequent thing in the early spring or during the rainy season for this stream to rise over thirty feet within twenty-four hours. The Youghiogheny is also an important feeder to the Monongahela. The estimated drainage of the Youghiogheny and its tributaries is 2,110 square miles, the Monongahela and its tributaries 4,900 square miles, making the total watershed of the Monongahela 7,000 square miles, which, added to that of the Allegheny, gives a grand total area of 20,000 square miles drained by the sources of the Ohio river. From the forking of these rivers in Pennsylvania to its mouth at Cairo there are tributaries innumerable, many of which are navigable and at a good boating stage the greater part of the year.
These geographical and topographical situations are important causes which led to the frequency of floods in the Ohio river. The month of February in the Ohio valley along the course of the river in later years has been looked for with dread. The highest stages of the river, the greatest floods and the most suffering, and great property losses within the past decade have occurred at that time of the year. The melting of snows in the mountains, sudden thawing spells, added to which are the early spring rainfalls alternated with sleet, all combine to bring on these freshets. The encroachments upon the bed or channel of the river have in a great measure caused a narrowing of the width of its bed. So many large cities, towns and villages are strung out along its shores that the debris from sawmills, cinders and other material by being “dumped’’ over its banks have confined the rush of the waters to fastly filling-up canal bed. In fact such has the Ohio river become within the past few years. Great stone pier bridges have been erected in the river bed, dams have been built, and these things combined have had a tendency to yearly increase the danger to the lowlands along the valley.
The greatest floods in the Ohio river were on February 18, 1832; December 17, 1847; February 15, 1883; February 15, 1884, and March 26 1890. In 1832 the highest stage reached was 64 feet 3 inches; 1847, 63 feet 7 inches; 1883, 66 feet 4 inches; 1884, 71 feet and inch, and in 1890, 59 feet 2 inches. These heights are measured from low-water mark, which is 2 feet and 6 inches above the bed of the channel.
The flood of 1884 exceeded all the others, and at the present writing stands on record as having attained the highest stage. Beginning day of December, 1883, it continued rising until noon of February 14th, a space of two months, during which time there was much suffering among the people, loss of life and property. The meteorological causes began at the date mentioned, when the winter’s first snow fell throughout the Ohio valley—a fall of a fraction less than an inch, with the stage of water in the Ohio at 10 feet 7 inches at Cincinnati, a minimum to which it did not again decline for a period of over six months.
During the month of December the total fell of snow, sleet and rain, reduced to rain-fall, was 5.61 inches, while the highest stage of the river during the month was 49 feet on the 28th, after which it began to decline.
fell, varying from 15 feet 9 inches on the 29th to 31 feet 3 inches on the 31st, when the great flood of 1884 properly began.
At Cincinnati, at this time, the solidified snow previously fallen was from 18 inches to 4 feet deep, which was packed upon the hills, mountains and valleys of the Ohio river and its tributaries and the smaller streams tributary to the latter. A depth of 10 inches of snow fall in January, and the rainfall of the month was 1 .23 inches. From the 30th of January to the 13th of February a general thaw progressed with rain day after day, all combining to affect the river accordingly.
The Ohio river continued rising steadily and rapidly, and at Cincinnati on February 2d had reached a stage of 49 feet 11 inches, having entered the buildings at the foot of Broadway, Main and Walnut streets. The same afternoon there was a heavy fall of rain that carried much of the solidified snow into the river and local tributaries, and a rise again set in that did not cease until noon of the 14th, when it culminated in the highest stage of water at the mouth of the Licking river that had ever been seen at that point by an enlightened people. The total amount, of the rainfall on the 4th was 1.35 inches a dense fog came over the city and in the bottoms became so dense that artificial light was necessary in all buildings south of Third street.
The thermometer had crept up to 62o; there was a miasmatic feeling in the atmosphere that was stifling, and the general dark-ness prevailing cast great gloom among the populace. At all river points above there was a heavy rainfall, while the Monongahela and Licking rivers had started on a second freshet and were rising several inches per hour.
Daylight the next day found all the buildings fronting on the river between the Suspension Bridge and Main street, and Ludlow and Broadway, invaded by the water. The Mill creek bottoms of Cincinnati, as well as the lowlands in Pendleton and Columbia, were submerged, and later in the day the alarming news came that Lawrenceburg and Aurora were partly submerged, the river steadily rising, and grave apprehensions were felt for the security of the levees in front of those cities.
All day on the 5th a steady downpour of rain fell, measuring 1.56 inches, and more rain had fallen in eight hours on the days of the 4th and 5th than fell in four days proceeding the same stage of water on February 8, 1883. The river was 20 feet and 1 inch higher than at the same time of the previous year, and there had been but nine years in which the stage of the water exceeded that at midnight of the 5th.
The Kentucky river, when it pours into the Ohio, prevents the water of the latter from passing off freely, and is thus a factor in producing high water at Cincinnati. At 1 o’clock of the morning of February 6th the levee at Lawrenceburg gave way and her citizens called upon the people of Cincinnati to come to their relief. The Chamber of Commerce immediately called a meeting, and committees were appointed to adopt measures of relief.
At Cincinnati the water extended above Second street on Sycamore and Broadway, and was two feet deep at Third and Wood streets, while communication with the Suspension Bridge was cut off except by boats. On the 8th the Cincinnati Gas Works became submerged, at noon, when the stage of the river had reached 62 feet 6 inches. The next day, at 9 o’clock A. M., the stage of water was 63 feet 7 inches, the high-water mark of December 17, 1847, and by midnight covered the high-water mark of February 18, 1832, 64 feet 3 inches.
Heavy rains again set in at headwaters on the 10th, and all the streams again began rising. Point Pleasant, Va., was entirely in-undated, there being four feet of water in parts of the town that had escaped the flood of 1883, while the back-water from the Ohio extended, up the Kanawha fifty miles, inundating farm houses and villages of the valley and entirely wrecking the track of the Ohio Central Railroad. The width of the Kanawha varied from three to five miles. Between Ripley and Cincinnati, all houses on both banks of the river, that remained in their places, were invaded or entirely covered by water, and some towns were nearly washed out of existence. The Ohio back-water extended up the Little Miami to Milford, with the Little Miami also rising.
On the night of the 12th a wind-storm from the south rocked from their foundations many houses that had withstood the force and buoyancy of the current. Dayton and Bellevue, Ky., were invaded and the greater part of the northwest, portion of Covington was covered. There were 13,000 applicants for relief at Newport—half of the city being under water.
On the 13th a decided cold wave set in throughout the Ohio valley, and this gave assurance that its climax was near. The temperature grew colder and colder at Cincinnati, lowering to 20o, and the great flood of 1884 reached its maximum at noon on the 14th of February, when the stage of water was 71 feet and ¾ of an inch. The situation at Cincinnati at this time was that not a street in Pendleton was free from water, and the line extended up Deer creek valley to the foot of the Highland House Inclined Plane. Up the Mill creek valley it had spread eastwardly until Lincoln Park was entirely covered, and reached Baymiller street or Clark.
on Sixth covered the railroad tracks that lead out of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad passenger depot. On Eighth street the water extended eastwardly to Harriet. South of Third street and west of Rose, extending northwestwardly past Clark and Bay-miller streets, all avenues were navigated by skiffs and small boats. Mill creek bottom was one bay of water so deep that the largest steamboat that navigates the Ohio river could have passed over.
The Licking and Ohio rivers met in New-port at the corner of Columbia and Madison streets; half of the city of Newport was under water, and part of the Newport and Covington Suspension Bridge that spans the Licking river was covered by water several feet deep.
The Ohio and Mississippi Railroad established boat communications, carrying their traffic to places between Cincinnati and Aurora. There was not a railroad track entering Cincinnati which was not submerged, except that of the Cincinnati Northern or Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad. Merchants in the bottoms had at great labor and expense removed their wares to places of safety, the various stock-yards ceased doing business, the river business for steamboats was entirely suspended , and the boatmen royally and heroically gave their time and labor to the saving of property and the rescue of people and live-stock. Boats were chartered by the Cincinnati Chamber of Commerce Relief Committee, and carried clothing and provisions to the destitute and suffering at points above and below Cincinnati.
Cincinnati contributed $96,680.12 for the relief of flood sufferers, this amount being realized from private subscription. The sum of $97,751.22 was contributed by persons not citizens of Cincinnati; all this money was applied, with the exception of $5,260 74 which was turned over to the Sinking Fund Commission of Cincinnati.
The fall of 1889 and the first three months of 1890 were remarkable for the steady and heavy rainfall. This, of course, produced much water, and during February, 1890, it was feared that Cincinnati would experience an-other flood. There had fallen but little snow in the mountains, and that was favorable; yet there were two good-sized freshets, and of such proportions as to cause much alarm and apprehension throughout the Ohio valley. The greatest damage, however, this section of the country escaped; but the Missouri and Upper Mississippi rivers, rising to an unprecedented stage at the same time the Ohio and its tributaries were bank-full, caused the Lower Mississippi to reach the highest stage recorded in history, causing suffering, privation, loss of life and damage to homes all along the Mississippi valley from Cairo to New Orleans. The highest stage reached by the Ohio river during the spring freshet in 1890 was on March 26th, when the marks at the city water works at Cincinnati indicated 59 feet 2 inches.
The Court-House Riot of 1884.
With the possible exception of the first bank riot that occurred in 1820 upon the suspension of the Miami Exporting Company, and on the occasion of the second suspension on the 10th of January, 1842, of the same organization, Cincinnati has never witnessed such violations of law, defiance of authorities, and so much bloodshed as attended the great Hamilton County Court-House riot that began on the night of March 28, 1884, and continued several days, there being open conflict between the militia and police on one side, and an excitable, yet determined, lawless mob upon the other.
The circumstances that led to this most-unfortunate affair was the trial for murder of Wm. BERNER, who killed his employer, Wm. KIRK.
It was one of the most outrageous assaults upon society, and a dastardly, cold-blooded crime that unsteadied the nerves of the populace, causing excitement to run high, and incensed all law-abiding citizens when the case came to trial by the methods pursued by criminal lawyers, who sought to perjure witnesses, bribe juries, and resorted to openhanded means to have their client acquitted against all principle of law or justice.
The newspapers published the proceedings of the trial in detail. The court-house was, during the examination, crowded to its capacity. The methods resorted to by the lawyers was the subject of general conversation, and culminated in there being called at the great Music Hall on the evening of March 28, 1884, of a mass-meeting of citizens. At this meeting speeches were made by Dr. Andrew C. KEMPER, Judge A.G. W. CARTER (now deceased), and General Andrew HICKENLOOPER, who denounced in strong terms the methods pursued in acquiring a verdict. It was here asserted that the verdict was acquired by the cunning and adroitness of lawyers known for their legal talent. Five hundred and four people had been called to form a jury of twelve. It was a self-confessed murder, a murder committed deliberately for the sake of robbing a man of $285, the proceeds from the sale of a horse; and had been planned weeks beforehand and then coolly consummated. The criminal lawyers were denounced as equally culpable of violation of law and order as the murderer. The jury had only returned a verdict of manslaughter after hearing Berner’s self-confession, and it was openly alleged in the speeches at the mass-meeting that the criminal lawyers were instrumental in securing, by bribery and other nefarious methods, such a verdict.
was death stillness. Every word uttered was weighted. Every sentiment expressed seemed to find endorsement from every person in that crowd of at least six thousand souls.
Immediately after the meeting, as the masses were surging out upon Elm street, someone in the crowd shouted, “Fall in! Let’s [go] to the jail!” and a great mob from the meeting proceeded directly to the county jail in the court-house on the Sycamore street side, above Court street.
On the way the mob was increased by hundreds of others. Upon reaching the jail it was surrounded by a howling angry crowd. A piece of joist was procured, and with it the basement doors, at the foot of the stone steps, was battered down. Bricks and stones were hurled by men in the street above at the windows. Clubs, huge pieces of timber, crow-bars, and other weapons were quickly procured and passed down to the men who were at work upon the heavy outside entrance doors of the jail, and it at last yielded, the work being done speedily. The crowd then poured into the jail office, and there found other obstructions in the matter of stone walls and heavy iron grated doors.
Morton L. HAWKINS, the county sheriff, and his few deputies faced the mob upon their entrance between the outer and inside doors. They were powerless to stem the fierce human tide, and besides the sheriff had given orders to his officers not to use their weapons on the mob, believing, that such proceeding would only make bad worse. The mob completely filled the interior of the jail, yelling and searching for the murderer they had come to hang. They filled the corridors, and a force of men succeeded in so forcing the iron gated door that it at last gave way, and the mob ran up the winding stone stairway to the cell rooms, peering into each cell and demanding of other prisoners the whereabouts of the murderer whom they sought.
While this was going on within a squad of fifteen policemen arrived on the scene and began clearing the jail, meeting with but little success as they were set upon by the mob and hurled to one side as though they were not there. At 9:55 P.M. the fire bells sounded the riot alarm. This brought people to the scene from all sections of the city, and they turned in with the mob, the greater majority being in sympathy. It called the police from their posts of duty and the various stations; and through good management they were formed above and below the jail in two sections, and headed by the patrol wagons, advanced upon the crowds assembled on Sycamore street, in proximity to the jail. The crowd outside was estimated to be between nine and ten thousand. The patrol and police advancing in two solid columns caused a stampede, the rioters escaping through side streets. Ringleaders and some of those who had been active inside the jail were taken in the patrol wagons to the station houses. The patrols were permitted to leave amid much jeering and denunciatory language, and after their passage the gap was closed up and another onslaught made upon the jail; the rioters in the meantime have armed themselves with axes, stones and bricks.
Two or three attacks were made upon the jail, and about midnight a hand-to-hand conflict between the police and the rioting mob occurred inside. The police had succeeded in gaining an entrance to the jail through the court-house, going in on Main street. By the same means the militia had been admitted, and were stationed on the platform at the head of the cell-room stairs. Inside the mob had reached the gates separating the prisoners’ cells from the office. They were broken down with sledge-hammers, and the mob had entered. They were in hand-to-hand conflict with the police, and overpowered them making a grand rush up the stone stairway. Just then the militia stationed on the platform fired into the crowd. Two of the militia and four officers, were shot. None of the mob were injured, but the latter retreated, giving the alarm to those on the outside. Fires were then started in the jail-yard and around the court-house. A barrel of petroleum was rolled into a cellarway where burning firebrands had been cast. The mob again assaulted the jail, gaining admittance in reinforced numbers, and armed with every conceivable kind of weapon except firearms.
The militia again fired upon them, using blank cartridges, although this was not known to the mob, and, aided by a largely reinforced police force, again drove the mob to the street. From the Court Street armory the militia were reinforced, gaining admittance to the jail through the court-house, the mob not up to this time making any attempt to effect an entrance to the jail by way of the court-house.
Upon their being repulsed, however, a great crowd rushed over toward Main street and down town. Simultaneous attacks were made upon the entrances of several gun stores, and the places completely gutted of firearms, powder, cartridges and other ammunition. In the meanwhile others of the mob had fired the jail and the court-house, in a score of places, coal oil and powder being liberally used, and neighboring stores and groceries being sacked for the purpose. Affairs were assuming a serious and critical aspect. The light of the fires illuminated the whole city, causing hundreds of other citizens upon the hilltops and in the suburbs, to hasten to the scene.
upon as a subterfuge to cause them to cease their violence. The fires around the jail and court-house had been put out, and towards early morning the mob, almost worn out with their labors, thinned out, but hundreds remained about the scene throughout the night, and as the hours approached the working hour their numbers were increased.
All day long Saturday, the militia and police were on duty, and the court-house and jail were surrounded by tired-out but determined men, and thousands of others drawn there by the excitement of the occasion.
There were no attempts at attack made during the day, but Saturday night for several blocks above and below to the east and the west of the jail and court-house the streets were chocked by rioters who had greatly increased their strength, and another attack on the jail was made.
This proved to be the most serous attack of all, and the most disastrous. Admission was gained to the court-house. The militia in the streets were held in a hollow square formed under the masterful leadership of some of their number. Once inside the court-house, the work of demolition began. The whole magnificent stone building seemed to become ignited at once. The whole place was gutted and valuable records of three-quarters of a century’s accumulation were destroyed.
The building burned to the ground. The governor of the State had called out the militia of the State, and they were arriving by every train. Their appearance upon the scene seemed to more aggravate and incense the mob. And being fired upon a bloody riot began in the streets, men being mowed down like grass under the keen sweep of a scythe.
Captain John J. DESMOND, of the militia, was shot and killed inside the burning court-house while leading an attack on the mob. Many prominent citizens received wounds from stray shots of the militia. Windows, doors and even walls of houses in the vicinity of the riot to this day bear evidence of that time of terror and bloodshed.
United States Secretary of War LINCOLN ordered to the scene the United States troops, and their appearance seemed to have the desired effect, as the rioters gradually dispersed. The result was, however, that 45 persons were killed and 125 wounded.
Berner, the cause of all this terrible loss and destruction to life and property, was recaptured late on Saturday afternoon in an out-of-the-way house in the woods on a hillside near Loveland. When captured by Cincinnati detectives, aided by the marshal of Loveland, he was coolly enjoying a game of cards, and was unaware of the riot and the attack upon the jail. He was taken to Columbus and lodged in the State penitentiary under the sentence that had been passed upon him of the 26th day of March of confinement for twenty years.
The Jail Riot of 1848.—The most disastrous jail riot preceding that above related by Mr. Millar, in the history of the city, occurred in the summer of 1848, the details of which are given in the Reminiscences of Judge CARTER, who is alluded to in the preceding article. Two returned volunteers (German) from the Mexican war, who were boarding in a German family consisting of a man and wife and daughter of eleven years of age, were arrested by the parents on the charge of having committed a horrible outrage upon their child. At the examination at the old court-house, the bed-clothes and under-garment of the little girl were shown covered with blood, which with her testimony and that of the parents so frenzied the spectators that it was with difficulty that the sheriff, Thomas J. WEAVER, could lodge them in the jail, and then had to call in the services of the Cincinnati Gray’s and Citizens’ Guards to protect it from the mob.
That night the mob made an attack upon the jail. The sheriff first tried expostulation but this was useless. Then he ordered the military to fire with blank cartridges, which only the more enraged them. Finally he repeated the order to fire, with ball, when eleven persons fell dead, some of them innocent bystanders, and the mob dispersed.
“But,” writes the judge, “the sequel, was the prosecuting attorney at the time, and I know of what I speak. At the next term of court, a bill of indictment against these poor volunteer soldiers was unanimously ignored on the plain and simple ground of their entire innocence. They had been the victims of these Germans, who, because they could not induce them to give up their land warrants entitling them each for honorable service to 160 acres of land, had conspired with their little daughter to get up and maintain this awful charge. After their discharge there was a hunt after their guilty prosecutions to lynch them, when it was found that father, mother and daughter had disappeared and were never heard of after.”
THE PIONEER CELEBRATION AT COLUMBIA.
It stands on the beautiful knoll whereon stood the old Baptist church, the first Protestant church organized in the Northwest.
This knoll contains two acres of ground, deeded in 1804, by Benj. STITES, to the Baptists of Columbia township. The gravestone slabs of the pioneers whiten the spot, and noble old elms bending over give it a pensive charm. The monument is just five miles from Fountain Square, with a grand outlook up and down the Ohio valley, and up that of the Little Miami; just at that point where the railroad trains, whisking around a curve, bid farewell to the former and go up the varied windings of a stream, whose ever changing vistas bring forth admiring exclamations from hosts of travelers, who, though they should keep on to the uttermost parts of the earth, would never find a valley more sweet.
The monument was erected by the Columbia Monumental
Association, George E.STEVENS, President; consisting of fifteen delegates from five
Baptist churches now in the original bounds of Columbia township. The present
title of this body is the Mount Lookout Duck Creek Baptist church.
On one side of the freestone pedestal is engraved, “To the Pioneers Landing near this spot November 18, 1788.”
One the obverse side—“To the first boat-load of pioneers landing near this spot—Major Benj. STITES, Mrs. Benj. STITES, Ben STITES Jr., Rachel STITES, Ann W. STITES, Greenbright BAILEY, Mrs. Greenbright BAILEY, Jas. F. BAILEY, Reasom BAILEY, Abel COOK, Jacob MILLS, Jonathan STITES, Ephraim KIBBY, John S. GANO, Mrs. Mary S. GANO, Thos. C. WADE, Hezenkiah STITES, Elijah STITES, Edmund BUXTON, Daniel SHOEMAKER,______HEMPSTEAD, Evan SHELBY, Allen WOODRUFF, Hampton WOODRUFF, Joseph COX, Benjamin COX.”
On the third side is—“The Baptist of Columbia Township in 1889 erected this pillar to commemorate the heroism and piety of the first Baptist pioneers of 1788-90. The first church in the Northwest Territory was the Columbia Baptist Church, organized January 20, 1790, Constituent members, Benj. DAVIS, Mary DAVIS, John FERRIS, Elizabeth FERRIS, Isaac FERRIS (deacon), Joseph REYNOLDS, Amy REYNOLDS, John S. GANO, Thos. C. WADE.”
On the fourth side—“The Columbia Baptist Church erected its first house of worship on this spot in 1792. The lot contains two acres of ground purchased of Benj. STITES, was deeded to the Baptist of Columbia Township.”
The celebration consisted of a procession headed by the Newport Band, prayer, reading the Declaration of Independence, sing “America,” firing of cannon, and speaking under a huge tent, Rev. G. W. LASHER, presiding; Rev. Dr. Galusha ANDERSON, President of Dennison University, opened with a history and eulogy of the Baptist Church, wherein he proclaimed the Baptists had ever been peculiar, friends of religious liberty. But he did not allude to their early persecutions did not speak of Roger Williams in Puritan New England, nor to their treatment in Episcopal Virginia, where, 140 years ago, over thirty Baptist ministers were thrown into dungeons, and outrageous mobs broke up their meetings; in one case tossing a snake and a hornets’ nest into their midst.
Gen. Sam’l F. CARY occupied an hour and a half with a rousing good speech, consisting of pioneer reminiscences, with humorous allusions and anecdotes.
After him, Judge Joseph COX spoke instructively upon the Mound Builders and their works.
Henry HOWE, who was supposed to know something about Ohio, having been present by invitation, was called upon to make a few remarks. He did not speak of Ohio at all, but alluded to a historical tour he made over New Jersey 47 years before, and of the excellent qualities of Jerseymen, which especially fitted them to make the best kind of pioneers and it was well that Columbia got
Photo Caption: OLD BAPTIST CHURCH AT COLUMBIA. This church was taken down in 1835. The Society which worshipped in it was constituted in 1790, by Dr. Stephen GANO. The engraving shows it as it appeared in 1830, when it was in ruins.
such, and as was proved a superior quality of Jerseymen.
The thought of one of the speakers of the occasion is a sad memory to all who knew him. That is Surgeon-General A. F. JONES, of Walnut Hills, who a few months later was murdered by his negro servant. It was that old historian of this region and patriotic man who inaugurated the planting of trees in Eden Park to the memory of the pioneers, now known as “Pioneer Grove.” And to him does this very monument owe its origin, for years before he had suggested its building and made efforts in that direction.
The subject of “Progress” ended the exercises in the form of a carefully written paper upon that topic read by Dr. M. C. LOCKWOOD.
The monument is a Corinthian pillar of Ohio freestone, with pedestal and base of granite; it is 43 feet in height and eventually is to be surmounted by the statue of a pioneer.
Oliver M. SPENCER, then a boy, was at Columbia as early as 1790. He was in 1792 taken prisoner by the Indians. In his “Reminiscences” he has left this description of the life of the first settlers:
It is, perhaps, unknown to many, that the broad and extensive plain stretching along the Ohio from the Crawfish to the mouth, and for three miles up the Little Miami, and now divided into farms, highly cultivated, was the ancient site of Columbia, a town laid out by Major Benjamin STITES, its original proprietor; and by him and others once expected to become a large city, the great capital of the West. From Crawfish, the small creek forming its northwestern boundary, more than one mile up the Ohio and extending back about three-fourths of a mile, and half way up the high hill which formed a part of its eastern and northern limits, the ground was laid out into blocks, containing each eight lots of half an acre, bounded by streets intersected at right angles. The residue of the plain was divided into lots of four and five acres, for the accommodation of the town. Over this plain, on our arrival, we found scattered about fifty cabins, flanked by a small stockade nearly half a mile below the mouth of the Miami, together with a few block-houses for the protection of the inhabitants, at suitable distances along the bank of the Ohio.
Fresh in my remembrance is the rude log-house, the first humble sanctuary of the first settlers of Columbia, standing amidst the tall forest trees, on the beautiful knoll, where now (1834) is a grave-yard, and the ruins of a Baptist meeting-house of later years. There, on the holy Sabbath, we were wont to assemble to hear the word of life; but our fathers met with their muskets and rifles, prepared for action, and ready to repel any attack of the enemy. And while the watch-man on the walls of Zion was uttering his faithful and pathetic warning, the sentinels without, at a few rods distance, with measured step, were now pacing their walks, and now standing and with strained eyes endeavoring to pierce through the distance, carefully scanning every object that secured to have life or motion.
The first clergyman I there heard preach was Mr. GANO, father of the late Gen. GANO, of this city, then a captain, and one of the earliest settlers of Columbia. Never shall I forget that holy and venerable man, with locks white with years, as with a voice tremulous with age, he ably expounded the word of truth.
I well recollect, that in 1791, so scarce and dear was flour, that the little that could he afforded in families was laid by to be used only in sickness, or for the entertainment of friends, and although corn was then abundant, there was but one mill (WICKERHAM’S), a floating mill, on the Little Miami, near where TURPIN’S now (1834) stands; it was built in a small flat boat tied to the bank, its wheel turning slowly with the natural current running between the flat and a small pirogue running in the stream, and on which one end of its shaft rested; and having only one pair of small stones, it was at best barely sufficient to supply meal for the inhabitants of Columbia and the neighboring families and sometimes, from low water and other un-favorable circumstances, it was of little use, so that we were obliged to supply the deficiency from hand-mills, a most laborious mode of grinding.
WILLIAM HENRY HARRISON, BENJAMIN HARRISON
Ninth President of the United States Twenty-third President of the United States
watchfully resting, or cautiously feeding, or, aroused from his thicket, gracefully bounding off, then stopping, erecting his stately head and for a moment grazing around or sniffing the air to ascertain his enemy, instantly springing off, clearing logs and bushes at a bound, and soon distancing his pursuers. It seemed an earthly paradise; and but for apprehension of the wily copperhead, who lay silently coiled among the eaves, or beneath the plants, waiting to strike his victim the horrid rattle-snake, who more chivalrous however, with head erect amidst its ample folds, reared to dart upon his foe, generously with the loud noise of his rattle, apprised him of danger and the still more fearful and insidious savage, who, crawling upon the ground, or noiselessly approaching behind trees and thickets, sped the deadly shaft or fatal bullet, you might have fancied you were in the confines of Eden or the borders of Elysium.
Turkey Bottom—At this delightful season the inhabitants of our village went forth to their labor, inclosing the fields, which the spring flood had opened, tilling their ground, and planting their corn for their next year’s sustenance. I said, went forth, for their principal corn-field was distant from Columbia about one and a half miles east, and adjoining the extensive plain on which the town stood. That large tract of alluvial ground, still known by the name of Turkey Bottom, and which, lying about fifteen feet below the adjoining plain, and annually overflowed, is yet very fertile, was laid off into lots of five acres each, and owned by the inhabitants of Columbia; some possessing one, and others two or more lots; and to save labor, was en-closed with one fence. Here the men generally worked in companies exchanging labor, or in adjoining fields, with their fire-arms near them, that in case of an attack they might be ready to unite for their common defence. Here, their usual annual crop of corn from ground very ordinarily cultivated was eighty bushels per acre; and some lots, well tilled, produced a hundred, and in very favorable seasons, a hundred and ten bushels to the acre. An inhabitant of New England, New Jersey, or some portions of Maryland, would scarcely think it credible, that in hills four feet apart, were four or five stalks, one and a half inches in diameter, and fifteen feet in height, hearing each two or three ears of corn, of which some were so far from the ground, that to pull them an ordinary man was obliged to stand on tiptoe.
GOVERNORS OF OHIO FROM CINCINATI.
Thirteen of the Governors of the State have been at some time citizens of Cincinnati, one of whom only, William DENNISON, was born in the city. They were Othniel LOOKER, 1814; Ethan Allen BROWN, 1818-1822; Salmon P. CHASE, 1856-1860; William DENNISON, 1860-1862; John BROUGH, 1864, 1865; Charles ANDERSON 1865, 1866; Jacob P. COX, 1866-1868; Rutherford B. HAYES, 1868-1872; also 1876, 1877; Edward F. NOYES, 1872-1874; Thomas L. YOUNG, 1887, 1888; Richard M. Bishop, 1878-1880; George M. HOADLEY, 1884-1886; Joseph B. FORAKER, 1888-1890.
We annex slight sketches of those not elsewhere noted:
OTHNIEL LOOKER was born in New York, in 1757; was a private in the war of the Revolution and a man of humble origin and calling, and of whose history but little is known, but, being Speaker in the Ohio Senate, by virtue of that office became acting Governor for eight months when General MEIGS resigned to go into Mr. MADISON’S cabinet, he was later defeated as a candidate for Governor against Thomas WORTHINGTON.
ETHAN ALLEN BROWN was born in Darien, Conn., July 4, 1766; studied law with Alexander HAMILTON; settled in Cincinnati in 1804; from 1810 to 1818 was a Supreme Judge, when he was elected Governor and began agitating the subject of constructing canals. In 1820 was re-elected over Jeremiah MORROW and General WM. Henry HARRISON; in 1822 was elected to the United States Senate; from 1830 to 1834 U. S. Minister to Brazil; later Commissioner of Public Lands; then retired to private life and died in 1852 in Indianapolis after a long and useful career.
knew, offering his services for the coming war, thus, becoming the first volunteer from Hamilton county. He eventually entered the army, was commissioned colonel and for extraordinary gallantry at Resaca was brevetted general. In 1866 he was elected to the legislature; in 1872 served as a Senator, and in 1876 elected Lieut.-Governor and succeeded R. B. HAYES when he became President. As Governor of Ohio during the railroad riots he showed extraordinary pluck. Being asked to call upon the general government for aid from the regular troops he replied tersely “No, not until the last man in Ohio is whipped.” He died July 19, 1888, singularly admired for his thorough manliness.
RICHARD M. BISHOP was born in Fleming county, Kentucky, in 1812, and at the age of thirty-six came to Cincinnati, where for many years he was at the head of a wholesale grocery house; in 1859 was elected Mayor of the city and in 1877 Governor of the State. He has ever been a public-spirited and highly respected citizen and now, in advanced life, is erect as in youth and possesses a fine patriarchal presence, wearing a long flowing beard, as grand we dare say as that Moses had when on Pisgah. From early life he has been one of the most prominent men of the Disciples or Campbellite Baptist Church, the same as that with which President GARDFIELD was identified.
JOHN CLEVES SYMMES—Father. ANNA HARRISON—Daughter.
William Henry Harrison was born at Berkley, on James river, twenty-five miles from Richmond, Virginia, in 1773.
He was the youngest of three sons of Benjamin HARRISON, who represented Virginia in Congress in 1774-1776 and was chairman of the committee of the whole house, when the declaration of independence agreed to, and was one of its signers. He was elected Governor of Virginia, and was one of the most popular officers that ever filled the executive chair. He died in 1791.
which was sounding through the country, for a campaign against the Indians of the West, decided his destiny, and he resolved to enter into the service of his government.
His guardian, the celebrated Robert MORRIS, opposed his wishes; but it was in vain that he placed the enterprise before the enthusiastic youth in all its hardships and privations. General Washington yielded to the importunities of the youth; presented him with an ensign’s commission. With characteristic ardor he departed for Fort Washing-ton, now Cincinnati; where, however, he arrived too late to participate in the unfortunate campaign of ST. CLAIR. The fatal 4th of November had passed, and he was only in time to learn the earliest intelligence of the death of BUTLER, and of OLDHAM, and of the unparalleled massacre of the army of ST. CLAIR.
The return of the broken troops had no effect in damping the zeal of young HARRISON. He devoted himself ardently to the study of the theory of the higher tactics; and when, in the succeeding year, WAYNE assumed the command, Ensign HARRISON was selected by him for one of his aids, and distinguished himself in WAYNE’S victory.
After the treaty of Greenville, 1795, he was given command of Fort Washington; and shortly after married the daughter of Judge SYMMES, the proprietor of the Miami purchase.
The idleness and dissipation of a garrison life comported neither with the taste nor active temper of Captain HARRISON. He re-signed his commission, and commenced his civil career, at the age of twenty-four years, as secretary of the Northwestern Territory. He was elected, in 1799, the first delegate in Congress. The first and general object of his attention as a representative was an alteration of the land system of the Territory. He was appointed chairman of the committee on lands, and though meeting with much opposition from speculators, secured the passage of a law for the subdivision of public lands into smaller tracts. To this measure is to be imputed the rapid settlement of the country northwest of the Ohio.
The reputation acquired by the young delegate from his legislative success created a party in his favor, who intimated a desire that he should supersede the venerable governor of the Territory. But Mr. HARRISON checked the development of this feeling as soon as it was made known to him. He cherished too high a veneration for the pure and patriotic ST. CLAIR to oppose him. Shortly after, when Indiana was erected into a separate Territory, he was appointed by Mr. ADAMS the first governor. Previously, however, to quitting Congress, he was present at the discussion of the bill for the settlement of Judge SYMMES’ purchase; and although this gentleman was his father-in-law, He took an active part in favor of those individuals who had purchased from him before he had obtained his patent. This was the impulse of stern duty; for at the moment he felt he was jeoparding a large pecuniary interest of his father-in-law.
In 1801 Governor HARRISON entered upon the duties of his new office, at the old military post of Vincennes. The powers with which he was vested by law have never, since the organization of our government, been conferred upon any other officer, civil or military; and the arduous character of the duties he had to perform can only be appreciated by those who were acquainted with the savage and cunning temper of the northwestern Indians, with the genius of the early pioneers, and the nature of frontier settlement. Among his duties was that of com-missioner to treat with the Indians .In this capacity he concluded fifteen treaties, and purchased their title to upwards of seventy million of acres of land.
The whole Territory consisted of three settlements, so widely separated that it was impossible for them to contribute to their mutual defence. The first was CLARKE’S grant at the falls of Ohio; the second, the old French establishment at Vincennes; and the third extended from Kaskaskia to Kahokia, on the Mississippi; the whole comprising a population of about five thousand souls. The Territory, thus defenceless, presented a frontier, assailable almost at every point, on the northeast, north, and northwest boundaries. Numerous tribes of warlike Indians were thickly scattered throughout the northern portion of the Territory whose hostile feelings were constantly inflamed by the intrigues of British agents and traders, if not by the immediate influence of the English government itself, and not unfrequently by the uncontrollable outrages of the American hunters themselves. Governor HARRISON applied himself with characteristic energy and skill to his duties. Justice tempered by mildness; conciliation and firmness, accompanied by a never slumbering watchfulness were the means he used. These enabled him to surmount difficulties, under which an ordinary capacity must have been prostrated.
them to any discussion, he resolved to encamp for the night, under a promise from the chiefs to hold a conference next day. The men reposed upon the spot which each, individually, should occupy, in ease of attack. The event justified the anticipations of the chief. On the morning of the 7th, before daylight, the onset was made with the usual yells and impetuosity. But the army was ready; HARRISON had risen some time before, and had roused the officers near him. The Indians fought with their usual desperation, and maintained their ground for some time with extraordinary courage. Victory declared in favor of discipline, at the expense, how-ever, of some of the most gallant spirits of the age. Among the slain were Colonels DAVIES and OWEN, of Kentucky, and Captain SPENCER, of Indiana. Governor HARRISON received a bullet through his stock, without touching his neck. The legislature of Kentucky, at the next session, while in mourning for her gallant dead, passed the following resolution, viz.:
“Resolved, That Governor William H. HARRISON has behaved like a hero, a patriot and general; and that, for his cool, deliberate, skilful and gallant conduct, in the battle of Tippecanoe, he well deserves the thanks of the nation.’’
Front this period, until after the declaration of war against England, Governor HARRISON was unremittingly engaged in negotiating with the Indians, and preparing to resist a more extended attack from them. In August, 1812, he received the brevet of major-general in the Kentucky militia, to enable him to command the forces marching to relieve Detroit. The surrender of HULL changed the face of affairs; he was appointed a major-general in the army of the United States, and his duties embraced a larger sphere. Everything was in confusion, and everything was to be done; money, arms, and men were to be raised. It is under circumstances like these that the talents of a great general are developed more powerfully than in conducting a battle. To do justice to this part of the biography of HARRISON requires a volume of itself. Becoming stronger from reverses, collecting munitions of war, and defending Fort Meigs, were the prominent features of his operations, until we find him in pursuit of PROCTOR, on the Canadian shore. On the 5th October, 1813, he brought the British army and their Indian allies, under PROCTOR and TECUMSEH, to action, near the river Thames. The victory achieved by militia over the disciplined troops of England, on this brilliant day, was decisive; and like the battle of the Cowpens, in the war of the revolution, spread joy and animation over the whole Union. For this important action, Congress presented General HARRISON with a gold medal. The success of the day is mainly attributable to the novel expedient of charging through the British lines with mounted infantry. The glory of originating this maneuver belongs exclusively to General HARRISON.
The northwestern frontier being thus relieved, Gen. HARRISON left his troops at Sackets Harbor, under the command of Col. SMITH, and departed for Washington by the way of New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore, and on the whole route he was received with enthusiasm.
Owing to a misunderstanding between Mr. Secretary ARMSTRONG and himself, Gen. HARRISON resigned his commission in the spring of 1814; Mr. MADISON sincerely deplored this step, and assured Governor SHELBY, in a letter written immediately after the resignation, “that it would not have been accepted had he been in Washington.” It was received and accepted by Secretary ARMSTRONG, while the President was absent at the springs.
Gen. HARRISON retired to his farm at North Bend, in Ohio, from which he was successively called by the people, to represent them in the Congress of the United States, and in the legislature of the State. In 1824—5 he was elected to the Senate of the United States; and in 1828 he was appointed minister to Colombia, which station he held until he was recalled by President JACKSON, not for any alleged fault, but in consequence of some difference of views on the Panama question. Gen. HARRISON again returned to the pursuits of agriculture at North Bend. In 1834, on the almost unanimous petition of the citizens of the county, he was appointed prothonorary of the Court of Hamilton county.
In 1840 Gen. HARRISON was called by the people of the United States to preside over the country as its chief magistrate. His election was a triumphant one; of 294 votes for President he received 234. From the time when he was first nominated for the office until his death, he had been rising in public esteem and confidence; he entered upon the duties of his office with an uncommon degree of popularity, and a high expectation was cherished that his administration would be honorable to himself and advantageous to the country. His death, which took place April 4th, 1841, just a month after his inauguration, caused a deep sensation throughout the country. He was the first President of the United States that had died in office.
President HARRISON was distinguished by a generosity and liberality of feeling which was exercised beyond what strict justice to him-self and family should have permitted. With ample opportunity for amassing immense wealth, he ever disdained to profit by his public situation for private emolument. His theory was too rigidly honest to permit him to engage in speculation, and his chivalry was sensitive to permit him to use the time belonging to his country for private benefit. After nearly fifty years devotion to his duties in the highest stations, he left at his death but little more to his family than the inheritance of an unsullied reputation.
L. SCOTT, daughter of John W. SCOTT, president of Oxford Female Seminary and they were married October 20, 1853.
He studied law in the office of STORER & GWYNNE, in Cincinnati, and in 1854 removed to Indianapolis, Ind. He was elected re-porter of the State Supreme Court in 1860, and in 1862 entered the army as second lieutenant of the 70th Indiana Volunteers—a regiment which he assisted in raising and of which, when completed, Governor MORTON appointed him colonel.
He was a valuable and efficient officer, greatly beloved by his men, to whom his many acts of kindness and consideration greatly endeared him, and he was by them called “Little Ben.’’ His actions at the battle of Peach Tree Creek greatly pleased Gen. HOOKER, who said of him, “My attention was first attracted to this young officer by the superior excellence of his brigade in discipline and instruction—the result of his labor, skill and devotion. With more fore-sight than I have witnessed in any officer of his experience, he seemed to act upon a principle, that success depended upon the thorough preparation in discipline and esprit of his command for conflict more than on any influence that could be excited upon the field itself; and when collision came, his command indicated his wisdom as much as his valor. In all of the achievements of the 20th Corps in that campaign (from Chattanooga to Atlanta), Col. HARRISON bore a conspicuous part. At Resaea and Peach Tree Creek the conduct of himself and command was especially distinguished.’’
He served to the close of the war, and was mustered out in the grand review in Washington June, 1865, with the rank of brevet brigadier general.
Gen. HARRISON had been re-elected, in 1864, while still in the army, to the office of State Supreme Court reporter, and assumed the duties of the office on his return to Indianapolis. In 1879 he was appointed by President HAYES a member of the Mississippi River Commission. At the National Republican Convention of 1880, held in Chicago, he was chairman of the Indiana delegation, and his name was placed in nomination, but he withdrew it. In 1880 he was chosen U. S. Senator, and held that seat until March 3, 1887. In 1884 he was a delegate at large from Indiana to the National Republican Convention; and his name was again mentioned in connection with the presidency.
In the National Republican Convention, held in Chicago in June, 1883, he was nominated for the presidency on the eighth ballot, receiving 514 votes. The Democratic Party renominated Grover CLEVELAND, and the tariff issue became the main question of the campaign. All through the campaign Gen. HARRISON made almost daily speeches to visiting delegations, giving free expression to his views and opinions on almost every question of the day; his remarkably sound judgment and comprehension of all vital questions was signally illustrated in language of unusual simplicity and cleanness. He received 233 votes in the Electoral college against 168 for Grover CLEVELAND.