Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   


           
Hendrys in Colonial N.C.
North Carolina, in the Colonial period of US history, was the new home to many Hendrys who came from the Isle of Arran, Scotland to Cape Fear, N.C. Until recently, we believed that the Hendrys came over about 1770, and evidence indicates that a large number did, indeed, come at that time. However, it would appear that they were not the first from Arran, Scotland; and, in fact, recent evidence suggests that there were many Arran and/or Kintyre relatives and friends already in North Carolina to welcome them.

Prior to 1743, Hendrys (Henry) are already found in the Black River area and New Hanover Co., N.C., a full generation before. (New Hanover, after 1743, was split up into several other counties; see County Timeline

From original records, Land Grant Office Archives, Raleigh, NC:

March 1742 - Alexander Colvin * , 300 acres east side Black River above James Henry.

March 1743 - Robert Henry, 320 acres east side Black River joining John Warner, Griffin lines.

March 8, 1743 - James Henry, 320 acres east side Black River joining Capt. Marshall and swamp.

June 17, 1743 - Alexander Henry, 16 acres on White Oak from Charles Henry line to a pine on Alexander Henry's own corner.

The above indicates that James and Alexander Hendry already owned land prior to 1742. Details on Black River.

* Alexander Colvin is found on a list of passengers from The Argyle Colony 1739 (proven); landing late September 1739. There is no question that the Alexander Colvin who came to America in 1739 was from Campbeltown, Kintyre, Argyll, Scotland - a neighboring peninsula to the Isle of Arran. Alexander's son, Col. John Colvin md. Flora McAllister in 1792 and they had 8 children, among whom is another Alexander Colvin. This Alexander will figure into the Hendry scheme in later times. More on Colvin

Interesting note here: Alexander Hendry's land mentioned above represents the nucleus of the later formed White Oak Plantation. The others located near Black River - exactly where the Argyle Colony of 1939 settled when they arrived from Kintyre, Scotland (neighboring peninsula to Arran). Historians agree: The Black River Presbyterian Church, a few miles from Brown Marsh near Ivanhoe NC, was founded by the early Scottish emigrant members of the Argyll Colony shortly after 1740. This is the same church (and area) that is mentioned in the Robert Hendry (and Ann Lee) family history - a Hendry who (allegedly) arrived from Scotland in the 1770s from Arran, Scotland.

We have recently learned that the Alexander Henry (Hendry), named above, was the progenitor of the White Oak Plantation Hendrys, born Isle of Arran, Scotland abt 1694; married Flora Sellars. The other Henrys noted above would most likely be his sons, James, Charles and Robert. So when did they arrived here from Scotland? The Heritage of Sampson Co, N.C. claims Alexander and his wife came to the U.S. abt 1720; more likely, they arrived NC with the other Arran / Kintyre residents in 1739.

Scottish records show that there were two great waves of Scots who emmigrated to the U.S. during the 1700's. The first in 1737-1740, and then again in 1770-1775. By 1775, the King was so distressed at the numbers leaving Scottish soil and thereby increasing the size of the army of discontents in the Colony (U.S.), he made emmigrating later almost impossible. This coincides with the earlier Hendrys in NC.

Also interesting: when the group from Arran left in 1770 for the U.S., most came in at Cape Fear, NC and most settling in the Black River area, right next to the Hendrys who had arrived a full generation before.

OTHER HENDRYS further WEST in NC:

1741 Bladen County NC issuing deeds


During the same time period, May 1741, Bladen Co. was issuing deeds on the Great Pee Dee River (Yadkin) to former New Jersey residents who had lost their homes in the land scam known as the "Daniel Coxe Affair" - then sent an agent to locate and enter the best land still open to settlement in N.C. The area was then called the Jersey Settlement, located on the north side of the river, "10 sq. miles of the best wheat land in the south, located in (modern) Davidson Co. near Linwood." Most of the original records of Bladen County, NC were burned; however, we were able to locate some documents, books, and other sources.

Anson County (formed from Bladen County 1748) records were most revealing: we find a

Henry Hendry in legal papers as early as 1751 when he was granted land from George III on Caudle (Cottle) Creek;

William Henry and wife, Izabella 1753 - 1761 on the Catawba River;

John Henry and wife, Catherine as early as 1759 selling land (already owned) on Little Pee Dee and Cedar Creek; until the selling of his estate in 1772;

Frederick Hendry showing up in 1760 documents.

[ABSTRACTS BELOW]

NOTE: Henry Hendry was Public Register for a time; ending 29 Apr 1756.

This clearly shows another group of Henry/Hendrys who were already in North Carolina long before the Isle of Arran Hendrys arrived in the 1770s.

Some digging on Henry Hendry reveals that he married Margaret Mary Isabella Ramsey after 1750 (ca 1754 Salibury NC). This was Isabella's second marriage; her 1st (and late) husband, Robert Davidson, died abt 1750 in Pennsylvania. Both were born in Dundee, Scotland; she and Robert Davidson married in Cecil, Maryland; and had two children born in Pennsylvania: John Davidson b. 1735 and Mary. It was through the Davidson family that we learned of this marriage. If their data is correct, the children of the first marriage would have been adults at the time of her marriage to Henry. Their records indicate that Henry's birth abt 1710 and Isabella's about 1715; at their marriage, they would have been 44 and 39 respectively. We have no records of any issue from this marriage - yet. Interesting that Henry Hendry was a school teacher, educated at Princeton in New Jersey; taught for some time in Pennsylvania; then removed to N.C. Isabella's children were his students. Was Henry one of the New Jersey Hendrys who, after the Daniel Coxe Affair, removed to, first, Pennsylvania, and then to N.C. - the Jersey settlement? He is surely in the right place - and at the right time. Based on the land & court records, Henry Hendry had land sold at public venue (court action) - April 1759 - and his step-son, John Davidson, purchased the land. We are not sure when Henry Hendry died; still tracking. Isabella died after 1782 in Iredell Co NC.

Page 2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Abstracts:
Anson County, North Carolina; Deed Abstracts, 1749-1766; Abstracts of Wills & Estates, 1749-1795. By Brent H. Holcomb, C.A.L.S., Baltimore, Geneaological Publishing Co, Inc. 1991, 2nd printing.

27 Sep 1751: Grant from GEORGE II (Mathew Rowan) to Henry HENDRY 300 acres on both sides of Caudle Creek adj. Thomas McCOWAN's line.

16 Oct 1752, witness to William Sherrill, John Anderson Jr. (Clark's Creek) . M. Brown was the other witness.

14 Nov 1752, witness to Wm. Dickins and John McNight (VA$) (Cataba and Ellison's Creek). John Davison, the other witness.

23 Oct 1752, witness to Thomas Red (Augusta GA), Joseph White (land: Mount Pleasant). Other witnesses: Saml Davis and Anthy Hutchins.

Jan 1753, witness to James Alexander (Parish of St. George, Anson) to son, James Alexander Jr. (land: Cadle Creek), son David, to dau Elener, and son, Robert. Other witness: W. Mackey.

1753 (Jan-Mar) - witness to Alex. Osborn, James Robinson, Wm. Alexander, Joshua Nichols.

19 Oct 1753, witness to Joseph White, Esq. to John Clark, Esq. (land: Mount Pleasant) granted to Thomas Read. Witness: Humphry Smar.

2 Oct 1753, witness to Samuel Young and Joseph Kerral (VA$) (Cataba and Crowder Creek and Fishing Creek).

13 Jan 1753: Samuel Coborn and Henery Johnston (Cataba) (VA$) Witness: Alex. Osburn.

Dec 1753: William HENRY (and wife, Izabella) to Alexander Robinson (S. s Cuttawba on Henry's line - along Scholars head line) Granted to Wm. Henry

3 Sept 1753. Witnesses: Abraham Kuykendall, Adam Snider and John Thomas. Henry HENDRY was not a witness to this.

4 Sept 1753: John Brevard (Rowan) to John Potts. Wit: Allex. Osburn, Paul Cunningham.

29 Jan 1754: Wm. Alexander (merchant), John Paterson (Rowan) (N. side Cuttawba; S side of Twelve Mile Creek) Witness: John McCalfin.

22 June 1754: William Jones, shoemaker and James Johnston (Rowan) (Fishing Creek below Samuel Moore's corner) Witness: Wm. Courtney.

19 Jul 1754: James Larimore, tailor; to Wm. James Laremore.

16 Jan 1754: John McKoy and Tilman Holmes (Great Pee Dee, Little River and Chicks Island). Witness: Chas. Robinson.

8 May 1754: Robert McPherson (Rowan) to John McCapin (Rowan) (S. s Broad River, Bush River) Geo. DALRYMPLE's corner/line. This land is now in present Laurens and Newberry counties, SC.

Aug 1754: William Henry and wife, Izabella to Andrew McNabb (S. s of Catawba River) Witness: Samuel Young and James McCord.

17 Dec 1754: Andrew Alison (Rowan Co) Allex. McCallister (S side of Cuttawba River on Indian Camp Creek) Witness: George Davison.

Feb & May 1755: Robt McPherson (Rowan) James Huey (Rowan) (Sandy River; adj John Clark) Witness: James Pickett.

Jan-Mar 1755: Thomas Underwood and Patrick Ker (KERR) (upper s. Brown Creek) Witness: Saml Young.

16 Apr 1755: Hugh Parke (Parks) of Rowan Co. to John Snody (E side of Caudle Creek - along Henry Hendry's line, Thomas McQuown, Earl Granville, David Templeton and David Houston)

29 Apr 1756: ends Henry Hendry's Register.

8 Sep 1756, witness to Wm. Alexander and William Steven (both of Rowan Co). John Davison was also a witness.

Jul 1758: Estate of John Snoddy: to Henry Hendry, Agniss Snoddy and Alexander Lewis.

Apr 1759: John Dunn, Esq. (Rowan) to John Davidson, blacksmith (land granted to Henry Hendry 27 Sept 1751 - sold at public venue by exec. Court of Anson; suit of Samuel Wilson and Samuel McCleary.) Wit: James Gount.

Jul 1759: Peter Preslar to John Henry (Anson) (S.s N. fork of Little Pee Dee - 100 a.)

1760: Frederick Hendry was witness to three transactions involving: James McManus, Geo. Miller, Michael Miller Sr., (Linches Creek) and Samuel Gay (GEY) and Peter Beller (Hills Creek). Wit: Isaac Wiedner, Farq'd Campbell.

July 1761: David Templeton Senr (Anson Co) to Archibald Templeton (N.s. Catawba, Coddle Creek adj. McCullocks) Wit: John Davison, Joseph Tenner, Nathaniel Alexander.

Jul 1761: David Templeton to sons, James, David Jr. et al.

July 1765: Isaac Belyeu to John Henry of Anson 200 a. Cedar Creek)

25 Oct 1772 (assumed): Sale of Estate of John Henry; Catharine Henry,admx. Buyers: Abraham Belyeu, George Ingram, Benjamin Ingram, James Auld, John & Wm. Bond, Thos. Wade, Josph Hines, Shadrack Denson, Moses White, Thomas Tallent, Thomas Conner, Charles Burnigham, George Wilson, William Bennett, and John Chiles. Bond: 500 sterling.