W. Marlborough TWP, Chester Co., PA to Rowan Co., NC to McDowell Co., NC to Burke Co., NC; Early Seventeen Hundreds to Mid-Eighteen Hundreds
Click on images for enlarged graphics:
Pennsylvania: North Carolina:
WILLIAM PATTON died 29 December, 1742 in W. Marlborough TWP, Chester Co., PA.
Children of WILLIAM PATTON are:
1. ROBERT M. PATTON, SR., b. Abt. 1720; d. Bef. May 1772, Rowan Co., NC.
2. JAMES PATTON.
3. WILLIAM PATTON, JR..
4. JANE PATTON.
5. ELIZABETH PATTON.
William Patton signed his will in West Marlborough Township in Chester County, Pennsylvania on 5 September, 1742 and it was recorded on 29 December 1742. This William Patton named named his two daughters, Jane Graham and Elizabeth Brandon, as well as sons, James, Robert, and William Patton in his will.
William Patton of Chester County left his eldest son, James Patton, five shillings and his wearing apparel. He left John Patton, his grandson, and son of James Patton, ten pounds Pennsylvania currency. William Patton left his second son, Robert, the tract of land on Moss Creek in Lancaster County which was "lately bought for fifty pounds Pennsylvania Currency which tract is paid for." The author has been unable to find a record showing that Robert Patton disposed of the tract on Moss Creek in Lancaster County or any counties formed from Lancaster County. During this period of time, it was not unusual for a family to pull up stakes and leave their farm as they headed for a new home. This was particularly true during the time when the Indians were so troublesome in Pennsylvania.
William of Chester County left his plantation to the youngest son William, together with farming equipment and household items. William bequeathed the sum of six pounds each to William Graham, Elizabeth Graham, and John Graham "My Eldest Daughter Jane's Children" He bequeathed the sum of ten pounds Pennsylvania Currency to his daughter Elizabeth Brandon. He stipulated that any money remained after the division of his property as set forth in his will, this money would be divided among James Patton, Jane Graham, and Elizabeth Brandon. William Patton, Jr. and Joseph Sharp, Sr. were the executors of William Patton's will. Witnesses were James Forguson, David Forguson, and Richard Ryan. (Will Book 2, Chester County, Pennsylvania)
ROBERT M. PATTON, SR. was born Abt. 1720, and died Bef. May 1772 in Rowan Co., NC. He married CHARITY UNKNOWN Abt. 1747 in State of Pennsylvania (Probable).
Children of ROBERT PATTON and CHARITY UNKNOWN are:
1. CYNTHIA PATTON, b. State of North Carolina.
2. ELIJAH PATTON.
3. FRANCIS PATTON, b. Abt. 1747, State of Pennsylvania; d. Abt. 1795, Burke Co., NC.
4. ROBERT M. PATTON, JR., b. 10 November, 1748, Chester Co., PA; d. 18 March, 1813, McDowell Co., NC.
5. MARGARET PATTON, b. 1749, Rowan Co., NC; d. 27 April, 1814, Buncombe Co., NC.
6. WILLIAM PATTON, b. Bet. 1750 - 1752; d. August 1828, Sumter Co., AL or Jackson, GA.
7. ELIZABETH PATTON, b. Abt. 1752, Rowan Co., NC; d. 1813, Hall Co., GA.
8. MARY MARTHA PATTON, b. Bet. 1753 - 1754, Burke or Rowan Co., NC; d. Abt. 1797, Burke Co., NC or State of Kentucky.
9. JAMES PATTON, b. Abt. 1756, State of North Carolina; d. Abt. 1806, Williamston Co., TN.
10. SAMUEL PATTON, b. 1761, Burke Co., NC; d. July 1810, Elbert Co., GA.
ROBERT M. PATTON, JR. was born 10 November, 1748 in Chester Co., PA, and died 18 March, 1813 in McDowell Co., NC. He married MARY ELIZABETH DYSART 01 January, 1782 in Burke Co., NC, daughter of JAMES DYSART and MARGARET STEWART.
Children of ROBERT PATTON and MARY DYSART are:
1. MARGARET PATTON, b. 22 January, 1785, Burke Co., NC; d. 18 April, 1862, Dysartville, McDowell Co., NC; m. JOHN CONWAY.
2. ROBERT PATTON III, b. 01 March, 1787, Burke Co., NC; d. 04 March, 1854, McDowell Co., NC; m. ELIZABETH MOONEY, 06 July, 1815, State of North Carolina.
3. MARY PATTON, b. 02 April, 1789, Burke Co., NC; d. 1827, Rutherford Co., NC; m. JOHN JEFFRIES.
4. ELIZABETH PATTON, b. 22 July, 1791, Burke Co., NC; d. 20 November, 1850, McDowell Co., NC; m. SABERT PIERSON.
5. JAMES S. PATTON, b. 20 February, 1795, Burke Co., NC; d. 04 July, 1865, McDowell Co., NC; m. ANN WALKER.
6. CHARITY PATTON, b. 22 May, 1796, Burke or McDowell Co., NC; d. 05 April, 1856, McDowell Co., NC; m. JOHN MOORE, 08 February, 1816, Burke Co., NC.
7. MARY ANN PATTON, b. 14 November, 1798, State of North Carolina; d. Bef. 1844, Rabun Co., GA (Probable); m. WILLIAM QUEEN, 06 May, 1824, Burke Co., NC.
8. CYNTHIA ARMINTA PATTON, b. 08 November, 1802, Burke Co., NC; d. 28 July, 1876, Kimsey, Cherokee Co., NC; m. MOSES WILKERSON HALL, 26 January, 1822, Burke Co., NC.
Robert M. Patton, Jr. entered service in Burke County, North Carolina as a militiaman under Capt. William Morrison and Col. McDowell. Later he was commissioned captain of mounted troops. He served against Cherokees along the Catawba River, at Monck's Corner, and at Camden, Wilmington, and Kings Mountain.
Volume 15, Issue 3 - Revolutionary War Pension Applications at the NC Archives - 'Robert Patton (deceased) - Minutes of Burke County, NC, Superior Court, April Session 1845 - "Application of John Moore in behalf of himself and the other heirs of Elizabeth Patton for a pension. It appearing to the satisfaction of the Court upon the declaration of John Moore that Elizabeth Patton widow of Capt. Robert Patton late a pensioner under the act of Congress of July 7th 1838 at the rates of $150 per annum died at her residence in the County of McDowell on the 9th day of June 1844 leaving surviving the following named children all of lawful age to wit: Robert Patton, Mary Jefreys the widow of John Jefreys; Margaret Conway wife of John Conway, who has not been heard of for ten years and is supposed to be dead; Elizabeth Pearson wife of Sabert Pearson; Charity Moore wife of John Moore; Mary Ann Queen wife of William Queen; and Cynthia Hall wife of Moses Hall. Whereupon it was ordered by the Court that the same be certified to the war department."
More information on descendants of this family is available. Please email us. firstname.lastname@example.org
Original background graphics by Elaine Randall English
Copyright ã Elaine Randall English, 1999-2002