Ireland to Buncombe Co., NC to Macon Co., NC; Late Seventeen Hundreds to Late Eighteen Hundreds
Click on images for enlarged graphics:
Counties in North Carolina where the Hurst family lived.
GEORGE HURST was born Abt. 1758 in Ireland, and died April 1844 in Buncombe Co., NC. He married MARY MARTIN Abt. 1779.
Children of GEORGE HURST and MARY MARTIN are:
1. ELIZABETH ANN HURST, b. 30 June, 1780, State of North Carolina; d. 17 August, 1847, Ringgold, GA; m. GEORGE WASHINGTON ANDERSON.
2. JAMES A. HURST, b. Abt. 1783, State of North Carolina; d. Bet. 1850-1860 Buncombe Co., NC.
3. MARY POLLY HURST, b. 1785, Surry Co., NC; d. 19 July, 1856, Buncombe Co., NC; m. JOHN GREENWOOD.
4. JOHN HENRY HURST, b. 27 August, 1788, Buncombe Co., NC; d. 08 April, 1853, Newton Co., GA; m. ELIZABETH HAWTHORNE MONTGOMERY.
5. HANNAH L. HURST, b. October 1791, Surry Co., NC; d. Bef. 1860.
6. ANDREW MARTIN HURST, b. Abt. 1797, Surry Co., NC; d. 01 January, 1883, Macon Co., NC.
7. SARAH SALLY HURST, b. 07 August, 1800, Surry Co., NC; d. 01 October, 1877, Buncombe Co., NC.
8. PLEASANT HURST, b. 1804, Surry Co., NC; d. Aft. 1889; m. MARGARET A. PEGGY POSEY.
ANDREW MARTIN HURST was born Abt. 1797 in Surry Co., NC, and died 01 January, 1883 in Macon Co., NC. He married (1) NANCY SHEPHERD Bet. 1822 - 1823 in Buncombe Co., NC (Possible), daughter of THOMAS SHEPHERD and NANCY STANTON. He married (2) SARAH EVANS 04 July, 1847 in Macon Co., NC.
Children of ANDREW HURST and NANCY SHEPHERD are:
1. LUCINDA MATILDA HURST, b. 08 December, 1822, Buncombe Co., NC; d. 03 August, 1884; m. WILLIAM THOMAS ELMORE, JR., 03 May, 1841, Macon Co., NC.
2. JANE CAROLINE HURST, b. 27 November, 1825, State of North Carolina; d. 06 August, 1880, Rabun Gap, Rabun Co., GA; m. JAMES WILEY CARTER, SR., 10 September, 1845, Macon Co., NC.
3. ELIZABETH HURST, b. Abt. 1827, Buncombe Co., NC (Probable); d. Aft. 1904; m. JOHN G. COOK, 13 April, 1848, Macon Co., NC.
4. JOSEPH BARNARD HURST, b. 15 June, 1832, Macon Co., NC; d. 01 December, 1883, Macon Co., NC; m. MARGARET L. RABY, 26 January, 1851, Macon Co., NC.
5. GEORGE MADISON HURST, b. April 1835, Macon Co., NC; d. Abt. 1908, Macon Co., NC; m. (1) REBECCA AMMONS, 18 December, 1854, Macon Co., NC; m. (2) MARY ANGELINE DALTON, 25 November, 1866, Macon Co., NC.
6. THOMAS NOAH HURST, b. 25 July, 1837, Macon Co., NC; d. 25 May, 1873, Mountain City, Rabun Co., GA; m. RACHEL MCCURRY, Bef. 25 May, 1873.
7. HARRIET M. HURST, b. 26 September, 1842, Macon Co., NC; d. 12 November, 1942, Macon Co., NC; m. ALFRED SANDERS, 21 August, 1858, Macon Co., NC.
Children of ANDREW HURST and SARAH EVANS are:
1. MARTHA ANN HURST, b. 04 October, 1848, Macon Co., NC; d. 31 July, 1932, Macon Co., NC (Probable).
2. LOUIZA OR ELIZA HURST, b. Abt. 1853, Macon Co., NC; d. Aft. 1900; m. JAMES DANIELS, 03 March, 1879.
HURST LAND RECORDS IN MACON COUNTY, NC; Book ?, Page 211
State of North Carolina No. 1890
Know Ye, That we for and in consideration of the sum of five cents for every acre hereby granted and paid into our Treasury by Martin Hurst have given and granted and by these presents do give grant unto the said Martin Hurst a tract of land containing fifty acres, lying and being in the County of Macon on the waters of Cowee Creek, Beginning at a Post Oak being the beginning corner of old survey No. 77 in District
No. 10 running thence with said line North Eighty poles to a Spanish Oak thence West one hundred poles to a stake thence South Eighty poles to a stake thence East one hundred poles to the beginning. Entered Feby. the 24th 1853 as by the plat hereunto annexed doth appear together with all Woods, Waters, Mines, Minerals, Hereditaments and appurtenances to the said land belonging or appertaining: To Hold to the said
Martin Hurst his heirs and assigns forever: Yielding and paying to us sums of money yearly or otherwise, as our General Assembly from time to time may direct: Provided, always, That the said Grantee shall cause this Grant to be registered in the Register's Office for said County of Macon within twelve months from the date hereof otherwise the same shall be void.
Witness Thos. Bragg, Esq. Our Governor, Captain General and Commander-in-Chief, at Raleigh the 12th day of September in the 80th year of our Independence and in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and five.
By command: W. Hill (?), Secretary of State
The foregoing Grant is this day duly registered in the office of Register of Deeds for Macon County.
Aug 20th 1890 J. S. Sloan, Register of Deeds
More information on descendants of this family is available. Please email us. firstname.lastname@example.org
Original background graphics by Elaine Randall English
Copyright ã Elaine Randall English, 1999-2002