County Donegal, IRE to Chestnut Level, Lancaster Co., PA to Charlotte/Lunenburg Co., VA to Shoal's Junction, Abbeville District, SC; Late Sixteen Hundreds to Early Eighteen Hundreds
Click on images for enlarged graphics:
County Donegal, Ireland:
JOSEPH CALDWELL was born 09 January, 1656/57 in Londonderry or Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE, and died 03 September, 1730 in Lifford, County Donegal, IRE. He married ELIZABETH MCGEE OR MCGHIE 08 April, 1682 in County Donegal, Ireland, daughter of ALEXANDER MCGHEE OR MCGHIE and JANE MILLIKEN.
* Denotes line of descent
Children of JOSEPH CALDWELL and ELIZABETH MCGEE OR MCGHIE are:
1. CATHERINE CALDWELL, b. County Derry, IRE; d. State of Virginia; m. JOHN DUDGEON.
2. JOHN CALDWELL*, b. 09 January, 1682/83, Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE; d. 06 October, 1750, Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA.
3. ELIZABETH CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1684, County Derry, IRE; d. State of Virginia; m. JAMES MOORE OR MOOR.
4. MARGARET CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1686, Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE; d. Abt. 1740, Ireland; m. ROBERT J. MCJUNKIN.
5. JEANNE (OR JANE) CALDWELL*, b. Abt. 1688, County Donegal, IRE; d. 16 August, 1785, Prince Edward Co., VA.
6. GEORGE CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1690, Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE; d. Ireland; m. JANE PHILLIPS.
7. ANDREW CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1692, Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE.
(Double Descent from John & Jeanne (Jane) Caldwell)
JOHN CALDWELL* was born 09 January, 1682/83 in Lifford Parish, County Donegal, IRE, and died 06 October, 1750 in Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA. He married MARGARET PHILLIPS 04 January, 1703/04 in County Derry, IRE, daughter of GRIFFITH PHILLIPS and JANET MCCULLOUGH.
Children of JOHN CALDWELL and MARGARET PHILLIPS are:
1. WILLIAM CALDWELL*, b. 01 February, 1703/04, County Derry, IRE; d. 17 February, 1761, Lunenburg Co., VA.
2. THOMAS CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1706, County Donegal, IRE; d. 1748, Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA.
3. DAVID CALDWELL, b. 07 July, 1708, County Donegal, Ireland; d. 06 March, 1769, Charlotte or Lunenberg Co., VA.
4. MARGARET CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1712, IRE; d. Abt. 1791, Danville, Mercer Co., KY.
5. JOHN CALDWELL, b. 20 March, 1714/15, County Derry, IRE; d. 30 October, 1795, Columbia, Maury Co., TN.
6. ROBERT CALDWELL, b. 05 July, 1732, Chestnut Level, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 30 July, 1806, Mercer, Boyle Co., KY.
7. JAMES CALDWELL, b. 08 April, 1734, Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; d. 24 November, 1781, Elizabethtown Point , NJ.
Deed for land John Caldwell had in Lunenburg Co., VA:
LUNENBURG CO., VA; PATENT 29, PP 200:
Jo. Caldwell; 281
George the Second by the Grace of God of Great Britian France and Ireland King Defender of the Faith (unreadable symbol) To All to Whom these Presents Shall come greeting Know Ye That for divers good causes and considerations but more especially for and in Consideration of the sum of Thirty Shillings of good and lawful money for our use paid to Our Reciever General of our Revenues in this Our Colony and Dominion of Virginia We have given granted and confirmed and by these presents for Us Our Heirs and Successors do give grand and confirm unto John Caldwell one certain tract or parcel of land containing two Hundred and eighty one acres lying and being in the County of Lunenburgh on the South Side of Barrister River and bounded as followeth to wit: Beginning at a white oak on the said River Thence North seventy eight degrees East one hundred poles to a white oak thence North thirteen degrees East forty poles to a Hiccory Thence North forty nine degrees East one hundred and sixty poles to a pine thence North one hundred and seventy poles to a small Hiccory thence North sixty two degrees West one hundred and thirty eight poles to a Maple on the River aforesaid thence up the said River as it meanders to the said Rivers beginning with all woods underwoods Swamps marshes Longrounds meadows Feedings (?) and his diver (?) share of all veins mines and Quarries as well discovered or not discovered within the bounds aforesaid and being part of the said Quantity of two hundred and eighty one acres of Land and the Rivers waters and water courses therein contained together with the privilige of Hunting Hawking Fishing Fowling and all other profits Commodities and Hereditaments whatsoever to the same or any part thereof belonging or in anywise appertaining To Have Hold Possess and enjoy the said tract or parcel of land and all other the before granted Premises and every part thereof with their and every of their appurtenances unto the said John Caldwell and to his Heirs and assigns forever to the only use and Behoof of him the said John Caldwell his heirs and assigns forever to be held of Us Our Heirs and Successors as of Our Mannor of East Greenwich in the County of Kent (or Trent) in free and common soccage and not in capite or by Knight's Service Yeilding and paying unto Us Our Heirs and Successors for every fifty acres of Land and so proportionably for a lesser or greater Quantity than fifty acres the Fee Rent of one Shilling yearly to be paid upon the Feast of Saint Michael the Arch Angel and also cultivating and improving three acres part of the fifty of the tract abovementioned within three years after the Date of these presents Provided always that if three years of the said Fee Rent shall at any time be in arrears and unpaid or if the said John Caldwell his heirs or assigns do not within the space of three years next coming after the Date of these presents cultivate and improve three acres part of every fifty of the tract abovementioned then the Estate hereby granted shall cease and utterly determined and thereafter it shall and may be lawful to and for Us Our Heirs and Successors to grant the same lands and premises with the appurtenances unto such other person or persons as We Our Heirs and Successors Shall think fit In Witness whereof We have caused these Our Letters Patent to be made Witness Our Trusty and Well Beloved Thomas Lee, Esq. President of Our Council and Commander in Chief of Our said Colony and Dominion at Williamsburgh under the Seal of Our said Colony the first day of June one thousand seven hundred and fifty in the twenty third year of Our Reign.
Thomas Lee (symbol)
JEANNE (OR JANE) CALDWELL* was born Abt. 1688 in County Donegal, IRE, and died 16 August, 1785 in Prince Edward Co., VA. She married ALEXANDER RICHEY OR RITCHIE 1718 in Ireland, son of UNKNOWN RICHEY and UNKNOWN.
Children of JEANNE CALDWELL and ALEXANDER RITCHIE are:
1. AGNES RITCHIE.
2. MAREY RITCHIE.
3. SAMUEL RITCHIE.
4. CATRIN RITCHIE.
5. SUSANNA RITCHIE.
6. JAMES RITCHIE, SR.,* b. 25 July, 1724, County Derry, IRE; d. 12 August, 1808, Shoals Junction, Abbeville District, SC.
7. JOHN RITCHIE, b. Bef. 20 August, 1739, County Derry, IRE; d. Abt. 1770, Prince Edward Co., VA.
8. ALEXANDER RITCHIE, b. 20 August, 1739; d. 11 January, 1818.
WILLIAM CALDWELL* was born 01 February, 1703/04 in County Derry, IRE, and died 17 February, 1761 in Lunenburg Co., VA. He married REBECCA PARKS Bet. 1724 - 1728 in IRE or Lunenburg Co., VA, daughter of JACQUES PARQUE.
Children of WILLIAM CALDWELL and REBECCA PARKS are:
1. MARGARET CALDWELL*, b. 04 January, 1728/29, State of Pennsylvania; d. 12 September, 1802, Shoals Junction, Abbeville District, SC; m. JAMES RITCHIE, SR.,* Abt. 1749.
2. MARTHA CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1730, Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; d. 15 May, 1802, Abbeville District, SC; m. PATRICK CALHOUN, 02 June, 1770, Abbeville District, SC.
3. SARAH CALDWELL, b. Bet. 1730 - 1735, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; m. DR. JAMES MARTIN.
4. REBECCA CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1738; m. JOSIAH FAST.
5. JOHN CALDWELL, b. Abt. 1740, State of Pennsylvania ?; d. November 1781, Newberry Dist., SC; m. ELIZABETH CALLAM or GALLMAN, Mecklenburg Co., NC.
6. DAVID CALDWELL, b. 1741, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; m. (1) SARAH MARTIN; m. (2) NANCY CAREY.
7. ELEANOR CALDWELL, b. 1746, Charlotte or Lunenberg Co., VA; m. JOHN MOORE.
8. WILLIAM THOMAS CALDWELL, b. 10 March, 1747/48, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; d. 16 December, 1814, Newberry Dist., SC; m. ELIZABETH ANN WILLIAMS.
9. JAMES CALDWELL, b. 07 August, 1755, Cub Creek, Charlotte or Lunenburg Co., VA; d. 11 January, 1813, Newberry Dist., SC; m. MARY ELIZABETH FORREST, 1778, Newberry Dist., SC.
10. ELIZABETH CALDWELL, b. 15 October, 1757, Charlotte or Lunenberg Co., VA; d. 29 December, 1851, State of South Carolina; m. ROBERT GILLAM.
More information on descendants of this family is available. Please email us. email@example.com
Original background graphics by Elaine Randall English
Copyright ã Elaine Randall English, 1999-2002