Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN D. WILLIAMS was born in
Sullivan county, Missouri, on March 15, 1850, the son of David and Mary
(Humphreys) Williams, natives of Illinois. The father served in the Mexican
war. Seven children were born in the family, Effie, George, David, John
D., who is our subject, Minnie Corbell, Marvin and May. The parents came
across the plains to Portland, Oregon, in 1850, and later settled in Douglas
county, that state. In 1860 they removed to The Dalles, and thence to Lewiston,
Idaho. Our subject rode the range, and in 1875 went to the Black Hills,
where he packed for General Crooks. The Sioux were hostile then and he
experienced much danger in this service. In 1876 he journeyed to western
Oregon, then to Asotin county, Washington and there farmed and raised stock.
In 1899 Mr. Williams came to this county and engaged in the stock business
and more or less since that time he has given attention to that business.
He built the first business house in Riverside and now is operating a retail
liquor store there. He carries a choice stock of liquors and tobaccos.
In addition to his property mentioned, Mr. Williams has other business
property in Riverside and has been prospered in his enterprises. He also
has a large interest in the ferry at Riverside.
On March 6, 1883, Mr. Williams married Miss
Luvina, daughter of David and Amanda Morrow, early pioneers of Asotin county.
The father is deceased, but the mother resides there now. To Mr. and Mrs.
Williams eight children have been born, Vernon, Effie, Clementine, Jennie,
Thomas, Roy, Rosa and Marvin.