Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
HENRY A. WILLIAMS has resided
on his present place, which lies about seven miles east from Twisp, since
the spring of 1893. He has one quarter section of land, which is
utilized for grazing and the production of alfalfa. The farm is all
fenced and improved with house, barns, orchard, and so forth. In
addition to general farming Mr. Williams handles cattle and raises about
fifty each year. He is one of the prosperous and industrious men
of the valley and has labored with display of wisdom and energy.
Henry A. Williams was born in Peoria county,
Illinois, on April 9, 1868, the son of George and Mary (Wakefield) Williams,
natives of Tennessee and Illinois, respectively. In 1869 the family
removed to Jasper county, Missouri, where our subject was educated and
remained until he was nineteen. At that age he left home and migrated
to Dayton, Washington, where he worked at his trade of butchering for five
years. He had acquired skill in this business in Missouri.
Then came a year in Sandpoint, Idaho, at the same business, and in 1892
Mr. Williams came to the Methow valley. The following spring he located
his present place, as stated above, and since then he has given himself
to its improvement and the related industries of stock raising and farming.
Mr. Williams has some well bred stock and among them is one registered
Durham bull. Bringing in good stock to the valley has done much to
improve the grade of animals all through the section and Mr. Williams is
to be accredited much for this meritorious work.
At Sandpoint, Idaho, on August 20, 1892, Mr.
Williams married Miss Annie Courtway, whose parents are fruit raisers in
Chelan county. Mr. and Mrs. Williams are among the highly respected
people and are good, substantial citizens.