Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
HENRY WELLINGTON, deceased.
On June 4, 1903, at the residence of William H. McDaniel, near Loomis,
the subject of this obituary passed through the closing scenes of a most
active and useful career. Widely known as a man of principle and
uprightness and as one of the estimable pioneers of the northwest, Mr.
Wellington was mourned by a large circle of friends and when the time came
to commit his remains to their last resting place, it was amidst the largest
concourse that ever gathered in northern Okanogan county.
Henry Wellington was born in Peru, Berkshire
county, Massachusetts, on May 13, 1820. His father, Elisha W., was
a sturdy New Englander and raised five boys and two girls. Our subject
studied in the public schools and completed his training in the Westfield
state normal school. He was a man of intelligence and research and
was accredited, as he deserved, a place among the leaders. In his
yonger days he was present at the dedication of the Bunker Hill monument,
and heard the great orator, Webster, in one of his great speeches at that
occasion. He was also present at the inauguration of William Henry
Harrison. In 1849 Mr. Wellington sailed from New York to California
and from the time that they first struck the Gulf stream the vessel was
beset with storms and finally wrecked off the coast of Chile. Sixty
days were spent in passing the Straits of Magellan, where they picked up
the survivors of a wrecked ship. One year from the time he left New
York he landed in California and there did mining. Later he was in
the Fraser river country, after which he traveled to Florence, Idaho.
With a party of prospectors he started over the Walla Walla trail, for
Portland and suffered on that occasion. In his efforts to assist
his comrades Mr. Wellington frosted his feet, which later resulted in the
amputation of one of them. After this he came to Colville, where
he was in business and also served as county commissioner and deputy collector
of customs. In the early eighties he came to Okanogan and engaged
in the cattle business, buying the Phelps and Wadley station, now known
as the Loomis ranch. He sold this to Mr. Warring, who lived on the
Okanogan river, where he made his home until a few years previous to his
death. During this year he resided with W. H. McDaniels, at Loomis.
Mr. Wellington had nearly lost his eyesight from the effect of cataract
and had spent much money in the endeavor to be free from it. Although
Mr. Wellington accumulated considerable wealth at times he was in moderate
circumstances at the time of his demise. Of him one has said, "An
old school gentleman, combative when necessary, but thoughtful and loving
with his friends. His picturesque physique and genial personality
will be missed in Okanogan county."