Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
FREDERICK P. WEHE, more familiarly
known known as Major Wehe, is one of the well known and substantial men
of Okanogan county. He was Major of a regiment of cadets and has
since borne the title. Mr. Wehe is occupied in mining and owns an
excellent property all by himself. He has, in addition, stock in
the Wehe consolidated and in the Nighthawk company, besides various other
stocks and prospects.
Frederick P. Wehe was born on February 2,
1836, in Prussia, Germany, the son of John P. and Elnore (DeBellor) Wehe,
natives of Prussia. The father was born in 1795, and was drum major
in the battle of Waterloo, in 1815. He also was a collector of revenue
and a prominent man in his country. The mother was of French extraction,
her father being General DeBellor. They came to the United States
in 1839 and the following year located in Milwaukee. At the age of
fourteen our subject went to New York on board a vessel as cabin boy and
worked his way around Cape Horn and to San Francisco to see his brother.
Failing to find him he came back in the same capacity, then went to steamboating
on the lakes. He rose to the office of steward, which he held for
six years, on the Propeller and Mayflower. He enlisted at the first
call for three months, in the Civil War, enrolling at St. Louis.
He participated in the battles of camps Jackson and Booneville. On
September 16, 1861, he re-enlisted in Company A, Second Missouri Cavalry,
for three years. During these years he was in almost constant action
in Missouri and Arkansas, fighting bushwhackers and guerillas. He
participated in the battle of Little Rock and received two wounds.
Mr. Wehe was appointed quartermaster and senior vice commander of the Philip
Sheridan Post of the G. A. R., in Milwaukee, and is now a member of the
Robert Chevas post. After the war Mr. Wehe gave his attention to
the boot and shoe business in Milwaukee until 1879, in which year he went
to Leadville and engaged in mining. Later he did collecting until
1891, when he came west to his present place, arriving here in June.
Three brothers had preceded him and are named as follows, Albert C., Frederick
P., and August M. From the four the postoffice received the name of Weheville.
On November 1, 1865, Mr. Wehe married Mrs.
Julia Bonniwell in Milwaukee. Four children have been born to them,
as follows, Albert F., Eugene F., John E., and Mabel Chapman.