Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
GEORGE W. VANDERPOOL resides
six miles north from Winthrop and is engaged in farming and stock raising.
He was born in Benton county, Oregon, on October 8, 1861, the son of Campbell
and Louisa J. (Patterson) Vanderpool. The father is retired in Oregon,
but the mother is deceased. Our subject was educated in the common
schools of his native place and reared on the farm. At the age of
twenty he went to Latah county, locating four miles northwest from Moscow,
where he proved up on a preemption. This was his home until 1895
when he came to Okanogan county and took a homestead five miles north from
Winthrop. He owns this place at the present time, but is now living
on the farm of Emil Ventzke, as a tenant.
Mr. Vanderpool devotes his energy largely
to stock raising, and also does general farming. He has about fifty
head of fine cattle and is one of the progressive and substantial men of
the community. He is a member of the M. W. A., and stands well in
One July 4, 1884, Mr. Vanderpool married Miss
Martha, daughter of Francis and Sarah (Beasley) Rowland. The father
is deceased, but Mrs. Rowland is still living. To Mr. and Mrs. Vanderpool
seven children have been born, named as follows: Marion Rowland,
Louisa G., Grover Cleveland, George W., Jessie, William C. and Frederick.