Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
MANFORD G. STONE resides about
two miles south from Winthrop, and is known as one of the leading farmers
and stock men of the Methow valley. He is a man of ability and sound
principles, and enjoys the esteem and respect of all who know him.
Manford G. Stone was born in Coles county,
Illinois, on October 19, 1857, the son of Napoleon and Mary A. (Connelly)
Stone. The mother is deceased, but the father is living in the Methow
valley. In 1859 our subject was taken by his parents to Wise county,
Texas, where he grew up on a farm and followed farming until twenty-five
years of age. In that county he received his education from the common
schools, and in 1882 came to Pendleton. One year was spent there,
then he came on to Ellensburg, where he remained until 1889. In that
year he came to the Okanogan country, and after due search and exploration
took his present place under squatter's right. When it was surveyed
he entered the land as a homestead and has since proved up. He has
one hundred and sixty acres, all under ditch, fenced and handled in first-class
shape. Mr. Stone feeds quite a number of cattle each year, and also
raises hay for the market. He has a four acre orchard, well selected
and various other improvements on the farm. The whole premises manifest
the thrift and good taste of the owner, and Mr. Stone is esteemed as one
of the leading and prosperous men of the valley.
Fraternally he is affiliated with the M. W.
A., while in religious persuasion Mr. Stone belongs to the Christian church.
In Wise county, Texas, in 1878, Mr. Stone
married Miss Eliza, daughter of Isaac and Isabella (Humphreys) Nickell,
and to this union seven children have been born, as follows Bertie, married
to P. L. Filer, living on Beaver Creek; Barton; Isabella; Minnie; Eva;
Frank and Laura.