Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
HON. M. A. SMALLEY is without
doubt one of the most prominent men of Okanogan. His acquaintance
is extensive and he has made for himself, since coming to the west, a host
of warm friends, who with the general public appreciate his intellect and
his energetic and skillful efforts to build up and develop the mining resources
of northwest Washington.
M. A. Smalley was born on October 4, 1850
on a farm in Ashland county, Ohio, the son of Isaac and Elizabeth (Smith)
Smalley, natives of the same state. In 1853, the family went to Wyandot
county, Ohio, and there our subject was reared on the farm and received
a common-school education. At the age of seventeen he taught school,
and two years later went overland to Kansas, and there hunted buffalo during
the winter of 1870-71, after which he taught school in Labette county,
where the terrible Bender massacre occurred. In 1872 he returned
to Ohio and completed his education in the Northwestern Normal School at
Ada, following which he gave his attention to teaching and farming.
His marriage to Hattie M. Benson, of Cardington, Ohio, occurred in 1877.
After this he established himself in the real estate business at Carey,
Ohio. Although he was a thorough Democrat in politics, he was elected
mayor of Carey, which was a strong Republican town. He was re-elected,
and later resigned on being chosen to the state legislature in 1885.
Two years later he again represented his district in the legislature.
He was chairman of the Democratic executive committee of Wyandot county,
Ohio, for seven years, and in 1894 was chosen chairman of the state central
committee, to which he succeeded himself in 1895. In February, 1896,
he was appointed by President Cleveland, United States marshal for the
northern district of Ohio, he being the last marshal appointed by Mr. Cleveland.
He served as marshal four months over his term, retiring July 1, 1900.
During this time he was interested in the production of oil in Northwestern
Ohio. In 1890 Mr. Smalley was local manager of the Lenore city company,
which built Lenore at the confluence of the Tennessee and Little Tennessee
rivers on the Lenore plantation in Tennessee. In 1893, while in charge
of the office of the Missouri Railroad and Navigation Company, he was appointed
receiver of the Findley, Fort Wayne and Western railroad, extending from
Findlay, Ohio, to Fort Wayne, Indiana. He was manager of this road
as receiver for two years, but was not discharged by the court until 1900.
In that year he made a visit to this part of Washington to inspect the
mineral and other resources. He purchased a group of claims known
as the Oregon property, which is situated near the famous "Hee Hee Stone,"
six miles west from Chesaw. Mr. Smalley and associates organized
a company known as the Wyandot Mining Company, and began to develop the
property purchased. It is one of the most promising properties in
the county and will soon be shipping. Mr. Smalley has made careful
examination of the resources of this country and believes that Chesaw is
the center of one of the finest mineral districts in the northwest, and
his efforts have been and are directed toward the development of the Okanogan
country and bringing the same to the notice of capitalists. Fraternally,
Mr. Smalley is affiliated with the I. 0. 0. F., the A. F. & A. M.,
the Eagles and the Elks. Mr. Smalley has had charge of the Wyandot
mining company's interests since coming here, and has been so well pleased
with this section that he removed his family here in 1892, and intends
making Okanogan county his permanent home.