Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN Y. PHILLIPS is to be classed
as one of the earliest pioneers in this northwest country and a record
of his travels and experiences during those days would make a very interesting
volume. It is with pleasure, therefore, that we mention the salient points
of the same.
John Y. Phillips was born in Boone county,
Missouri, on May 30, 1839, the son of John Y. and Margaret (Ward) Phillips,
both of whom died in 1847. Our subject's uncle, Hiram Phillips, was the
judge of Boone county and was appointed guardian of the orphans and estate
of the elder Phillips, deceased. In 1853, John Y. came with his brother,
Newton, who had previously been to California, across the plains with a
band of cattle to California. They were ten months en route. Newton Phillips
is now a wealthy land owner of Fresno, California. In 1855, our subject
returned to Missouri, and four years later crossed the plains with about
five hundred head of stock cattle. It was in 1862, that he came to Florence
and mined there and in adjacent camps. Afterward, he passed through the
Lolo trail to East Bannock, then was at Alder Gulch, where he did placer
mining. In 1886, he went to Portland, Oregon, and was one of forty-five
men who chartered the steamer Growler and went to Sitka, Alaska.
They met with indifferent success as regards mining, and the next trip
the steamer was lost with all on board. We next see him in Seattle,
whence he went to Montana; then he came to the Similkameen river, just
above Oroville, in 1868, where he did placer mining, clearing about twenty-five
dollars per day. The next summer, he was with William Hall at the
mouth of the Pend d'Oreille. Mr. Hall afterwards discovered the famous
Hall mines in British Columbia. In 1871, Mr. Phillips went to the
Priest river mines, in British Columbia, then settled on a ranch in Mason
valley and took up stock raising. In 1885, he moved his property
to Toat's coulee creek, near Mr. Thorp's ranch, where he owns a ranch.
During the winter of 1889-90 he lost one hundred and forty-three head of
cattle, and the next spring he came to his present place, three miles east
of Anglin, being the first settler on Bonaparte creek.
Mr. Phillips married an Indian woman and has
two children, Charles, and Martha, wife of J. C. Patterson of this county.
Mr. Phillips is a good substantial citizen and has been very successful
in handling cattle, having some fine thoroughbreds now.