Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JOHN H. McDONALD, a carpenter
and wheelwright, is a much respected citizen of Molson. He was born on
April 14, 1840, in Nova Scotia, the son of John B. and Barbara (Smith)
McDonald. The father, a native of Scotland, was a captain for a great many
years. He was a well-educated man, and the last fifteen years of his life
were spent as a minister at Jordan Ferry, Nova Scotia, where he died eighteen
years since, aged seventy-eight. The mother's ancestors were seafaring
people. She is now living in Dorchester, Massachusetts, aged ninety-six.
Our subject is the fifth of eleven children, six of whom are still living.
When a lad he went from home to South Thomaston, Maine, and at the age
of fourteen went to sea. He soon rose from cabin boy to seaman before the
mast, then from second to first mate, and finally was captain of his own
vessel. He traveled to various parts of the world, and has circumnavigated
the globe several times. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted in the
United States navy and in this capacity did various services in many parts
of the world. After the war he spent sixteen or seventeen years on the
In July, 1868, Mr. McDonald married Miss Barbara,
daughter of George and Flora (Cameron) McKenzie, a native of Nova Scotia.
Her father, who was born in Scotland, came to Nova Scotia when a young
man and followed farming and fishing, being one of the prominent men of
the community. He is now deceased, as is also the mother, who was born
in Scotland. The grandfathers of our subject and his wife were pensioners
of the Forty-Second Highlanders Regiment, commonly known as the "Black
Watch." Following his marriage, which occurred in Boston, Mr. McDonald
worked at his trade until 1892, when he moved to Butte, Montana.
Later he traveled to Greenwood, British Columbia, and in the spring of
1898 engaged there in the livery business. Thence he came to Chesaw
and took up the feed and livery business, and finally in 1900, he came
to Molson, where he has continued in the same line. He is in partnership
with his two sons, Daniel and John, the firm being known as J. H. McDonald
& Sons. They now own two houses and a fine livery barn in Greenwood
and also two houses and a blacksmith shop in Chesaw, and a residence and
stables in Molsom. The sons have good homesteads and all their places
are well stocked.
Eight children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. McDonald in Boston, Massachusetts, namely, Daniel C., who married
Isabella Dunlap and lives near Molson; Flora B., wife of Charles P. Friend,
who is now deceased, leaving her two children, Harold P. and Mercedes,
with her parents; Barbara E., deceased; Mamie, a graduate of Boston high
school; Arville, a graduate of the Butte high school and now the wife of
William Mitchell; Etta B., wife of Samuel Breslaux, and also a graduate
of the Butte high school; George, killed in a warehouse explosion in Butte,
and John R., at home.
Mr. McDonald has been a member of the Masonic lodge for thirty-seven
years, and is also affiliated with the I. 0. 0. F. He is a justice of the
peace, being the first one elected in this part of the country, and a stanch