Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
WILLIAM H. MCDANIEL, who resides
about one mile north from Loomis, is one of the leading stockmen of Okanogan
county, having labored in that industry here for nearly twenty years, while
also following other occupations. He is a man of stability and is
known as one of the upright and sagacious citizens whole labors have wrought
much towards opening and improving the country.
William H. McDaniel was born in Sherbrook,
Nova Scotia, on November 8, 1856, the son of John and Mary (Bent) McDaniel,
natives of Nova Scotia. The father was a sea captain and followed
a seafaring life all his days. William H. was the fifth of a family
of nine children, and remained in his native place until the spring of
1871. During these years he studied in the public schools and wrought
at various occupations. In the spring of the year last mentioned,
he came to Wisconsin and went thence to the Red River of the North, but
later returned to Wisconsin. In 1875 he went to San Francisco, and
thence by steamboat to Portland. Soon, however, he returned to the
Golden Gate and for four years drove horse street cars in the metropolis
of the Pacific coast. It was about 1880 that Mr. McDaniel went to
Arizona, New Mexico, Old Mexico and the adjacent regions doing prospecting
and mining. The Indians were hostile and he endured all the hardships
that the hardy pioneer is subject to. He was in the leading camps
of the regions mentioned, then came to Victoria, on his way to Alaska.
Abandoning the trip at that point, he came to the coal fields near Seattle,
and the following year went to the north fork of the Coeur d'Alene river,
via Rathdrum and the Evolution trail. In May he turned from there
to the Okanogan country and packed his goods on a cayuse. He soon
was in charge of the stock of Henry Wellington, in which capacity he continued
for some years. During the nine years in which he cared for these
cattle he was also freighting from Sprague to Spokane, and as there were
no roads and no ferrys it was a long and tedious work. The Indian
canoes were brought into requisition to carry their goods across the Columbia.
In 1884, Mr. McDaniel located his present ranch and from the first began
to gain stock for himself. Now he has several hundred acres of good
land and does a general farming business besides raising stock and also
handling a dairy which supplies Loomis. Mr. McDaniel also sells many
beef cattle each year.
On January 30, 1896, Mr. McDaniel married
Miss Harriet R., daughter of C. H. and Emily J. Baldwin, who live on a
ranch adjoining Mr. McDaniel's. Mrs. McDaniel was born in Randolph
county, Indiana. Mr. McDaniel is a member of the W. O. W.