Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
WALTER E. LEWIS is recognized
by all as a capable man, who has always shown sagacity and uprightness
in his work in Okanogan county. He is deserving of and receives the
respect and esteem of all, and has many friends in every quarter.
At the present time Mr. Lewis is operating a dairy on his farm, about three
miles north from Loomis. It is a good place and well improved.
Plenty of pure water is at hand, and the orchard, in which are all varieties
of fruit known to this section, is well irrigated, while other improvements,
as comfortable residence, barns, out buildings, fences and so forth are
evidences of his thrift. Mr. Lewis is a skillful butter maker and
is handling a first-class trade at the present time. He owns a fine
band of stock and is interested in mining, having some properties that
are showing up well.
Walter E. Lewis was born in Michigan, on August
15, 1856, the son of Edward C. and Mary A. (Stone) Lewis, born in Gloucestershire,
England, in 1835, and in Delaware county, New York, in 1835, respectively.
At the age of fifteen Mr. Lewis came from Michigan to Nebraska, whence
in 1880 he journeyed to Laramie City, Wyoming. There, on February
16, 1881, he married Miss Dorotha J., daughter of John and Narcissus Hixson,
both of whom died in Wyoming. Mrs. Lewis is a native of Dekalb county,
Missouri. Mr. Lewis has one sister, Mrs. Addie E. Smith, dwelling
near Loomis, and his parents both reside on Palmer lake, in this county.
While in Wyoming he followed farming and stock raising until 1885, in which
year he came to Kittitas county, Washington, and engaged in the dairy business
there until 1893, when he came to Okanogan county, locating on his present
place as a homestead. In addition to doing a dairy business and general
farming, Mr. Lewis also raises some stock.
Fraternally he is affiliated with the I. 0.
0. F. and the A. F. & A. M. Mrs. Lewis is a member of the Rebekahs,
and they are both greatly interested in educational progress, always casting
their influence for better facilities in that line. Their son, William
C., now aged eighteen, was awarded a free scholarship in the Agricultural
College at Pullman by the county commissioners of Okanogan county.
It is interesting to note that both Mr. Lewis
and his wife came from their eastern home all the way to their present
abode in the west by teams. They are pleasant and good people, and
it is with pleasure that we have been enabled to grant this epitome in
the history of this section.