Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JAMES M. JUDD of the firm of
Judd & Son, liverymen at Loomis, is one of the well known pioneer residents
of Okanogan county and a man who has shown himself possessed both of good
business qualifications and a genial uprightness which have won for him
excellent holdings and a large circle of friends.
James M. Judd was born in Indiana on August
10, 1849, the son of William and Sarah (Climer) Judd, natives of Ohio and
now deceased, having completed the time of their lives in Nebraska.
At the age of three years our subject came with his parents to Jones county,
Iowa, whence they moved to Floyd county in the same state where he grew
to manhood and received his education. On July 15, 1873, Mr. Judd
married Miss Alma Sheldon, a native of Madison county, Wisconsin.
Shortly after the nuptials had been celebrated, they journeyed to Dakota
county, Nebraska, thence to Wayne county and later to Holt county in the
same state. In 1881 they came to the Black Hills in South Dakota,
Mr. Judd having freighted in there in 1877. He first engaged in prospecting
then freighted and finally took a ranch and raised stock, being successful
in this line. He drove from eastern Iowa to Nebraska, thence to the
Black Hills and in 1886 crossed the mountains to Spokane and finally on
to Loomis, in 1889. Although the trip was made in later years he
had as many adventures as many of the old pioneers who crossed the plains
before railroad times. At first he established himself in a general
merchandise business in Loomis, remaining until the spring of 1891, when
he built a livery stable, where he has since continued doing a fine business.
The stable is well equipped with comfortable and stylish rigs, has plenty
of first class animals, and the proprietors leave nothing undone for the
comfort and safety of guests. They do a general livery, feed and
sale business and are prosperous. The son owns one-half interest
in the business. After building the stable Mr. Judd operated it for
some time, then leased it and engaged in the saw mill business. Later
he returned to the livery business and has given his attention to it largely
since. Mr. Judd owns one-third interest in the security mines but
sold to a company, reserving a good block of stock. Their property
lies about one mile north of Loomis on the west slope of Palmer mountain
and shows up well in gold. They have a large amount of development
work done. Mr. Judd owns a fine residence in Loomis and about six
acres of land. He has a private water system, which supplies both
residence and barn besides other residences of Loomis. He is a member
of the I. O. O. F. To Mr. and Mrs. Judd five children have been born:
Lillian M., wife of James O'Heren; Eugene J., married to Katie Elmore;
William L.; Albert; and Forester.