Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
CHARLES L. JONES. On the
east side of Palmer lake, in the region known as the Cove, dwells the gentleman
of whom we now have the pleasure to speak. He has a valuable estate,
well supplied with irrigating water and excellent improvements. His
residence is located on the bank of the lake, in full view of that beautiful
body of water, which with the rugged mountains in the distance, makes an
ideal landscape. Mr. Jones is known as a man of integrity and sound
principles. He is among the prosperous agriculturists and devotes
his attention to general farming and stock raising.
Charles L. Jones was born on September 25,
1863, in Story county, Iowa, the son of John and Melvina (Harseman) Jones,
natives of Pennsylvania. The father came west in 1888 and located
at Colville, in 1890, where he now lives. The mother died in 1887.
Our subject is the second in a family of thirteen children. He grew
up on a farm in Iowa, and received his education from the public schools
of that enterprising state. In 1885, he went to Valley, Nebraska,
and engaged in farming, and later journeyed on to Leadville, Colarado.
After visiting various sections of that state he returned to Iowa, and
there saw his mother for the last time, as she died the next year.
In 1888 he came to the Cascade mountains, then went to Walla Walla, after
which he returned to Colorado, and in 1889, came to Spokane. Later
we see him in the Sound country and in 1891, he came to Okanogan county
and located his present place in 1895.
On November 29, 1892, Mr. Jones married Mrs.
Elma Clink, a native of Illinois. By her former marriage, she has
one daughter, Mrs. Hope Clink. To Mr. and Mrs. Jones, two children
have been born, Constance J. and Zora.