Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JAMES A. JOHNSTON is one of the
leading and wealthy stockmen of Okanogan county. He came here on foot and
was discouraged with the country, but preferring to earn some money and
get out of the country on horseback rather than afoot, he engaged to work
for a while, and became so well satisfied with the country and its resources
that he went into business for himself. His present property has
not been gained by luck or chance, but is the fruit of wisdom and industry,
which are happily blended in Mr. Johnston's character. He resides
three miles southwest of Oroville on the homestead and has nearly one hundred
and sixty acres of deeded land, all of which is very valuable. He
has a large band of cattle and raises three hundred tons of hay annually.
Mr. Johnston settled first in a little log cabin, but now has one of the
finest houses in the county, a beautiful seven-room structure of modern
architectural design, finished in hard wood and suplied with all the modern
conveniences. The other improvements are in keeping with his elegant
residence, and he has a valuable and beautiful country home.
James A. Johnston was born near Madoc, Hastings
county, Canada, on August 29, 1860, the son of James and Charlotte (Best)
Johnston. The father was born in Ireland, came to New York and later
to Canada, in all of which places he followed his trade of cabinet making.
Six children were born to them, Edward, Mrs. Esther B. Ward, James A.,
Mrs. Mary J. Brooks, Mrs. Sarah McKay and Andrew. Our subject remained
with his parents until he reached his majority, receiving a good education.
At the age of twenty-one he went to Black River, Michigan, where he took
charge of the Alger lumber mills for three years. Then he clerked in a
store at Renover, Pennsylvania, after which he went to Gloucester, Massachusetts,
embarking in mackerel fishing. He fished along the coast, and then went
to Michigan. He soon left there and came to Victoria where he engaged in
logging on the Fraser River. In company with Mr. Thomas Allen he
walked about two hundred miles to Oroville to visit his uncle, and as stated
above reached the place with no means. This was in December, 1885,
when mail had to be brought from Colville. Since then he has been
known as one of the industrious and capable raisers of stock in the county.
Part of the estate of Mr. Johnston borders on Blue Lake, and is known as
the Blue Lake stock ranch. On June 5, 1900, Mr. Johnston married
Miss Jennie Bauder with whom he attended school in his early days.
The wedding occurred in Detroit, Michigan. Her parents, Philip H.
and Elizabeth (Cooper) Bauder, were natives of Canada, and had four children,
John, Mrs. Johnston, Mrs. Hattie Young, and Mrs. Ida M. Gray. Mrs.
Johnston came from Ontario, Canada, to visit a lady friend and there was
engaged in dressmaking until her marriage. On February 18, 1902,
Arthur W. was born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnston. Mr. Johnston is deserving
of much credit for the faithfulness and ability of his labors in this county.
Not only has he acquired a competence for himself, but he has also stimulated
others in the good work of improving the country. He and his wife
are highly respected and esteemed by all.