Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JAMES M. HOLT has accomplished
a work in Okanogan county which speaks for itself. He is residing
in the town of Pateros where he owns about eighty-five acres of land, forty-five
of which are under a fine ditch, his own private property. Over twenty
acres of this irrigated land is set out to fruit, mostly peaches, and at
the present time is bearing well. Mr. Holt's place is one of the
finest fruit ranches in the Columbia valley and is especially adapted to
this industry. The farm is laid out in a very skillful manner and
everything about indicates the ability and good taste of the owner.
It is a very valuable piece of property.
James M. Holt was born in Jones county, Iowa,
on March 2, 1863, the son of William and Isabelle (Nickels) Holt, natives
of Indiana and Maine, respectively, and now deceased. In the public
schools of his native state James M. was well educated, and when he had
reached the age of twenty, departed from his home to try his fortune for
himself in the world at large. He located at Deadwood, South Dakota,
where eleven years were spent in farming. After this he was an incorporator
of the Covina Water Company and spent three years in this enterprise.
It was in 1900 that Mr. Holt located in Okanogan county, four and one-half
miles northwest of Pateros. Soon after he sold his place and secured
the farm where he now resides.
Fraternally Mr. Holt is a member of the W.
0. W. and is a popular and substantial citizen. On April 25, 1887,
at Deadwood, Mr. Holt married Miss Mary A., daughter of William and Margaret
(Donaldson) Burns, natives of Ireland and England, respectively.
To Mr. and Mrs. Holt eight children have been
born, named as follows: William M., May B., Edward V., Harry A., Hester
A., Margaret, John and Leonard.