Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
JAMES B. COUCHE, M. D. Without
doubt there is no class of professional men who have a closer contact with
the issues of life and death, than the physicians. Therefore it is
that public sentiment demands that they be men of integrity and worth and
of characteristics which inspire and are capable of retaining the confidence
of the people. There is no question that the subject of this sketch
has wisely taken up the profession of medicine, as he has already gained
prominence and practice, which speaks in the highest terms of his ability
and skill. Dr. Couche is a self made man and may take a pardonable
pride in his
James B. Couche was born in Liverpool, England,
on May 22, 1870, the son of James T. and Ellen (Julyan) Couche, natives
also of that country. James B. was well educated in his native place,
where he also took a preparatory course in medicine. In 1891, he
came to Canada and located in Vancouver, finding his total assets of cash
at that interesting crisis to be five dollars. He was determined
to succeed and so went to work with a will. However, he soon found
the climate did not agree with him and so he went to Toronto, Canada.
Later he was at Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, and there held the position of
corresponding clerk for the Dominion Coal company for three years.
During this time he matriculated at the Delhousie University and then went
to Toronto and entered the Medical University at that place. In 1899
he graduated from Toronto University with honor and at once began the practice
of medicine at Crow's Nest, British Columbia. He was physician for
the Crow's Nest Coal Co. there and later came to Wilbur, Washington, where
he remained a short time. Then he went to Mexico as physician for
a railroad that was not completed. On account of the failure of the
company he returned to the United States and located in Okanogan county.
He was at Molson until 1900, when he came to Twisp and opened all office
here. He has since continued here with most excellent success and
now has a practice extending over sixty miles up and down the valley.
He also owns and operates a drug store in Twisp and has a good patronage.
Dr. Couche has won for himself a practice that bespeaks both ability and
energy, while his standing with the people is of the very best. He
owns various mining property and also has a homestead adjoining the
town of Twisp.
Dr. Couche is a member of the M. W. A., the
W. 0. W., and the F. 0. A. He is also superintendent of the Union Sunday
At Twisp, on April 10, 1901, Dr. Couche married
Miss Ella Ehman. They have a pleasant home and are among the leading
people of the valley.