Transcribed from "History of North Washington, an illustrated history
of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan and Chelan counties", published by Western
Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
LEVI D. BURTON is a veteran of
the Civil War, being one of the very first to step forward and offer his
services for the good of his country. He enlisted in Company B, Second
Indiana Cavalry, in September, 1861, and served in the first Cavalry Division
of the Army of the Cumberland, fighting in the battles of Pittsburg Landing,
Stone River, Chickamauga, and others, besides doing some skirmishing.
He was in the fiercest of the fights, and many times his clothes were pierced
by bullets. Although he witnessed the death of many soldiers at his
side, he received no wound except a slight cut on the head from the saber
of a rebel surgeon. He was captured once by General Morgan, and detained
seven days. Mr. Burton endured all the hardships and deprivations
incident to a soldier's life, and showed himself a man of the true blue,
faithful in every service and reliable at all times. He went in as
a private, and came out a non-commissioned captain. For the excellent
service he rendered his country he is now receiving a stipend from the
Levi D. Burton was born on April 25, 1836,
in Preble county, Ohio, the son of Elijah and Leanna (Williams) Burton,
natives of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. He was educated
and reared in Wayne county, Indiana, and after his honorable discharge
from the army returned home. Soon after he was married, but his wife
took consumption and died while young. Mr. Burton then lived a roving
life, and visited various parts of the United States and Mexico.
In 1873 he was in California and then went to Glendale, Montana, where
he made considerable money but spent it freely. Securing a blind
horse and a cart he began a journey to Yakima, a distance of eight hundred
miles. Having decided that this was not the country he desired, he
drove the same faithful beast to Okanogan county, in 1887. He immediately
located a fine stock ranch near where Loomis now stands, and from that
time until 1903, gave his time to improving his ranch and raising stock.
He then sold his ranch and stock and removed to Loomis where he has a comfortable
home and is passing the golden age of his life in well earned retirement,
supplied with a good competence and amid a large circle of friends.
Mr. Burton is known as one of the thrifty and substantial men of his county.
He was elected county commissioner in 1894 and served acceptably for two