Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
NATT WITT resides about one half
mile west from Harrington on one of the finest places in southern Lincoln
county. His residence is a modern nine room structure, supplied with
hot and cold water and all other conveniences needed and is in the center
of an estate of nine hundred and sixty acres. Commodious barns and
other improvements are grouped around and the entire place is furnished
with water from an excellent well. A windmill and gasoline engine
lifts the water to a large reservoir and thus it is carried where needed.
Mr. Witt is one of the earliest pioneers of the county and labored faithfully
and hard to get started here. meeting with all the adversities that beset
the frontiersman and overcoming them all by determination and energy.
He has finally succeeded and is now enjoying a goodly portion as the result
of his labor. In addition to the estate mentioned, his children own
two hundred and forty acres, well improved, which reverted to them through
the death of their grandfather.
Natt Witt was born in Georgetown, Tennessee
on May 11, 1865, the son of Captain Joseph and Mary (Whitmore) Witt, natives
of Virginia and Tennessee, respectively. The father was one of the
oldest pioneers in Tennessee and throughout the war in the Union army.
After being honorably discharged he returned to Georgetown and resided
on his farm adjoining the city until his death in 1895, being then aged
sixty-six. The mother died in 1883. Her father was one of the
earliest settlers in Meigs county, Tennessee. Mr. Witt has the following
brothers and sisters, Maggie, deceased, William H., George M., our subject,
Joseph D., deceased, Thomas C., deceased, Walter M., Mrs. Kate Beard, and
Mrs. Mary Anderson.
Natt grew up on the farm and received his
education from the common schools and in the academy. On November
12, 1884, he married Miss Mollie E. Marler, who was born and raised in
Georgetown, Tennessee. Her parents, Hambric and Sarah E. (Seaborn)
Marler, were born in Tennessee and died in Lincoln county, in 1900, and
on February 18, 1904, respectively. There is a tradition that the
name Seaborne originated among Mrs. Witt's ancestors in this way.
An infant was born at sea and his mother died and they gave him the name
of Seaborne. Our subject came west, landing in Sprague, on March
27, 1887. He soon selected a homestead six miles west from where
Harrington is now located. His labors were wisely bestowed in opening
up and improving this place until 1902, when he sold the entire property
and removed to his present place. Between seven and eight hundred
acres are devoted to grain and the improvements are first class in every
respect. His residence is so situated as to overlook the town of
Harrington and the adjacent country and is one of the most beautiful in
On December 15, 1901, Mrs. Witt was called
to the world beyond, leaving her husband and six children to mourn her
death. She was a faithful Christian woman and was mourned by all
who knew her. The children are named as follows; August, Winifred,
Roy N., Adelia, Walter H. and Joe W.
On December 23, 1903, Mr. Witt married Mrs.
Frances J. Wise, the daughter of Charles E. and Elizabeth A. Hartley of
Republic, Washington. She has one daughter by her former marriage,
Madge Wise, who is now living at home. Mr. Witt is a member of the
A. F. & A. M., while he and his wife both belong to the Presbyterian
church. His former wife also belonged to that denomination.
Mr. Witt had very much hardship to endure in the early days in this country
and an outlined account of his struggles would fill an ordinary volume.
Suffice it to say that he met them with a brave heart and a determination
to overcome as is evidenced by his present standing and property holding.