Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
SYLVANUS PAGE is a retired farmer
and grain buyer at Downs. He was born on March 21, 1854 in Columbia
county, Wisconsin, the son of Abram and Louisa (Van Dure) Page, natives
of Oswego, New York and Michigan, respectively. The mother was of
French extraction and now lives at Odessa, this county. The father
died in 1901, in Mohler, Lincoln county. His father served in the
Revolution and came from a prominent family in the colonies. Our
subject has the following brothers and sisters, Mrs. Maggie E. Cunningham,
Mrs. Josephine I. Kief, Mrs. Florence Browning, Eugene, Mrs. Gertrude L.
Chollar, deceased, and Frederick R. The early days of Mr. Page were
spent on the farm in Wisconsin and the schools in that county furnished
his educational training. In 1878, the family came west via San Francisco
to Tacoma, Washington. They located on a farm sixty miles south of
that city in the Chehalis valley and gave themselves to working the soil.
In the spring of 1880, they came to Walla Walla and in the fall of the
same year made their location in the Big Bend country, which was one mile
east from where Mohler now stands. The country was very new then
and there were only a few settlers in this vicinity. Walla Walla
was their supply point and each year they went there to harvest to earn
money for the necessaries of life. Our subject worked on the Northern
Pacific when it was built through and thus secured money to improve his
homestead which he had taken. Things were very unfavorable for an
easy life in those days, in fact, the hardships were excessive. Then
after a start was gotten, the panic of 1893 began and gave them much to
endure; but since then, Mr. Page has succeeded admirably and especially
since 1897. He now owns eight hundred acres of choice wheat land,
just adjoining Downs, which is improved in a first class shape. The same
is cropped to wheat each year and brings in handsome returns. In
the fall of 1901, Mr. Page rented his land and removed to Spokane.
The next spring he came back to the farm, then built his present residence
in Downs, which is a fine seven room structure provided with both hot and
cold water and all other conveniences. It is tastefully situated
in pleasant grounds and surrounded by shade trees and all conveniences
and buildings needed. Mr. Page in addition to overseeing his estate,
buys wheat for different concerns. He also has charge of his road
district which is four townships.
On May 26, 1899, Mr. Page married Mrs. Iva
Calavan and to them two children have been born, Gladys F. and Ruth Florence.
By her former husband, Mrs. Page has two children, Lela M. and Veda E.
The fact that Mr. Page came to this country
without means and has now gathered such a large property is proof sufficient
of his ability and his business methods. He has shown himself a progressive
and public minded citizen and has done much to build Lincoln county to
its present prosperous condition. He is a man of influence and integrity
and is respected by all who know him.