Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
JOHN H. MULLER. When John H. Muller located on his present place, about one mile southwest from where Harrington now stands, there was no Harrington, no Davenport, and very few settlers in the entire territory now embraced in Lincoln county, which organization then had no being. Without a stove to cook on, with the sky for a canopy, this sturdy settler located and began the work of bringing a fertile farm from the wilds then abounding. Coyotes were familiar neighbors and the chirruping prairie dog would whirl into his hole as the human intruder walked by. Nature, with all her wilful ways, gave no encouragement to the frontiersman and his task seemed a thankless one, to open the door for civilization and its attendants to enter these vast prairies of wealth. Mr. Muller was a man of strong determination and he at once went to work at whatever he could find, being employed the first winter by the government in building improvements at Fort Spokane. Little by little he crept ahead and from the dugout to the cabin then into the new house, he moved and slowly the various buildings and improvements needed were erected and now, one sees a valuable estate of seven hundred acres, four hundred planted to wheat and the balance used for pasture, provided with every convenience needed and productive of handsome yearly dividends. He also owns a quarter section four miles west from Spokane. All this is the result of the wise management and industrious labors of our subject.
In the Canton of Berne, Switzerland, on the twelfth day of February, 1855, it was announced to John U. Muller that a son was born to his wife, Elizabeth. The infant was named John H., and grew bright and active. At the proper age he was sent to the parochial schools and there learned the ins and outs of the primary training necessary for the youth who would master their own language and the elements of learning. John H. had a half brother, Christian Luginbuhl, who now lives in Spokane; one brother, J. W., in Marion county, Oregon; and one sister, now Mrs. Rosina Brugger, dwelling near Harrington. His parents have since departed this sphere. When seventeen young Muller decided to come to the United States, and with him a decision was paramount to the execution, so in 1872, we find him in Ohio employed at general work. Four years later, he went to Marion county, Oregon, and in the fall of 1879, he located at Walla Walla. It was in the fall of 1880, that Mr. Muller came to what is now Lincoln county and located a timber culture claim. He labored at tie making in Idaho and at other occupations to furnish means for the necessities of life and finally was able to give his whole attention to the farm, and his success has placed him among the well to do men of the county.
On Christmas day, 1889, Mr. Muller married Miss Theresia, the daughter of John and Theresia Rohrer, and a native of Switzerland, where also the parents were born. The mother died in her native country but the father came to America and settled in Spokane in 1882, where he died in 1899. Six children have been born to this union, John U., Emma G., Otto G., Hulda, Maud M., and Josephine E. Mr. Muller and his wife belong to the Evangelical church and are worthy citizens. The home estate is pleasantly situated on Coal creek which furnishes water for all purposes of the ranch. Mr. Muller is to be congratulated on his excellent work and is justly entitled to enjoy the fruits of his success.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids