Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
WALTER E. McGOURIN. No
man in the county of Lincoln stands better among his fellows than the gentleman
whose name is mentioned at the head of this sketch. During the years
that are passed, he has labored assiduously here in stock raising and general
farming and while his labors have been rewarded with that generous bestowal
of goods that Dame Fortune has seen fit to grant, he has also gained a
standing among his fellow men that indicates an uprightness that is very
enviable indeed. Mr. McGourin is governed strictly by principles.
He resides about five miles north from Edwall on an estate of over twelve
hundred acres which is in a high state of cultivation and provided with
every thing necessary to such a magnificent domain. His place used to be
the post office in earlier days before the rural free delivery system was
Walter E. McGourin was born in Waterloo, Iowa,
on October 17, 1866, being the son of John and Sarah (McGuire) McGourin.
The father was born in the south of Ireland and came to the United States
in 1851. He first settled in Ohio thence moved to Wisconsin where
be followed merchandising, and later to Iowa where he did farming.
From that place he came to Lincoln county and took up a homestead where
our subject now resides. He gave his attention to stock raising and
farming until his death in 1900. He was one of the first commissioners
in Lincoln county and a man of influence and recognized capabilities.
When the Civil War broke out, he organized a company of men and drilled
them and was elected their captain. They were mustered in the service
and were known as Company E, Seventeenth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.
He served with distinction throughout the entire war. The mother
of our subject was a native of Ireland and came to the United States with
her parents when very young. She lived several years in Priladelphia
and was married in Tiffin, Ohio, on September 22, 1853. She and her
husband were the parents of nine children, five boys and four girls.
She is still living with our subject, who was the fourth of the family.
John and Sarah McGourin are to be classed
with the real pioneers and builders of Lincoln county and it is pleasant
to see their memory perpetuated in this volume, where also, in another
portion, are to be seen their engravings.
Mr. McGourin was educated in Iowa and when
thirteen came to Washington with his parents. He remained on the
farm with his father and labored faithfully with his until his death.
Since then he has given his entire attention to the management of the estates
and is a highly respected citizen.
At Edwall, Mr. McGourin married Miss Julia
Crowley, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, and to them, two children have been
born, Margarita and John W. Mr. McGourin is not especially zealous
in politics, although he is largely interested in all the measures that
are for the welfare and progress of the county. He has always taken
a great interest in educational matters and is a zealous worker for good
schools. Their estate is known as the Fairview Farm and is one of
the largest in the precincts of Lincoln county.