Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
GEORGE N. MATZGER, D. D. S.,
is one of the best known professional men in Lincoln county, having been
here for more than a decade, during which time, as before also, he has
shown himself worthy of the confidence of the people, both because of his
integrity and his ability. He is at the head of a large practice
in dentistry in Wilbur, where he has one of the best equipped offices in
the central part of the state. Dr. Matzger is a man of sterling worth
and is a master in his profession.
George N. Matzger was born in Benton county,
Oregon, on August 10, 1853, the son of Hon. William and Abigail (Allen
) Matzger. William Matzger was an immigrant to Oregon in 1847, whence
two years later he went to the gold fields of California and gained wealth.
Returning to Oregon, he took a donation claim of one section on the Mary's
river and engaged in farming, sawmilling, and flourmilling. He introduced
the first well bred stock into that community and was a prominent man.
He was a member of the convention that framed the constitution of Oregon
and took a prominent part in that important work. He removed to Walla
Walla in 1863 and spent a decade there. He was one of the founders
of Dayton, Washington, and located there in 1872, taking up the mercantile
and milling businesses. He was appointed postmaster of Dayton under
Hayes and held the office until his death. He was a moving spirit
in the organization of Columbia county and was a prominent man of southeastern
Washington. The mother of our subject was born in Michigan, of Pennsylvania
Dutch stock, and crossed the plains in 1847 with ox teams, that being the
year of her marriage. She was a true pioneer woman and was a brave
helpmeet to her successful husband.
Our subject was trained primarily in the public
schools of Walla Walla, then entered Whitman college the next year after
its opening. Three years afterward he went with his father to Dayton
and took an active part in the business operations there instituted.
Later we find him in the National Business college of Portland whence he
graduated, then went to merchandizing for himself. Some years later
he sold and entered a law office, and studied for one year, but not being
pleased with the profession he took up dentistry under a preceptor in Dayton.
He entered the Central University in Kentucky in 1888 and in 1890 graduated
with the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery. He immediately repaired
to Whitman county and opened an office where he wrought until 1892.
Then came a move to Wilbur and in this place the doctor has practiced steadily
and successfully since.
In 1877, Dr. Matzger married Miss Etta L.,
daughter of Hon. S. M. and Mary (Hargrove) Wait. The father was a
cousin of Chief Justice Wait and was a pioneer to Oregon as was also his
wife. He founded Waitsburg, Washington, and was a partner of our
subject's father. The following named children have been born to
Dr. and Mrs. Matzger, Alvin K., Bell, Bessie, G. Waite, Byron L.
Dr. Matzger has one brother, W. O. Matzger, and two sisters, Mrs. Nancy
E. Long, and Mrs. Mary A. Kryger. Dr. Matzger was town clerk of Wilbur
for twelve years, and is a prominent and influential citizen. He
is past grand of the I. O. O. F. and is a member of the W. W.