Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
OLAUS MARTINSON is to be numbered
with the successful and prosperous farmers of Lincoln county. He
resides about seven miles from Wilbur where his estate lies and which consists
of one-half section of land mostly used for growing wheat. The place
is well improved, being supplied with fences, buildings and so forth.
Olaus Martinson was born in Norway on November
7, 1841, coming from the stock which first discovered the new world.
His parents were Martha and Gevea (Knutson) Olson, natives of Norway.
The common schools of his native land furnished our subject his educational
training and he remained in Norway until 1866, when he emigrated to Wisconsin
in which state he operated as a blacksmith for some time. In 1871,
Mr. Martinson bought a farm in Wisconsin and there lived for twenty-two
years. It was in 1893, when he made his way to the western country
where after due search and investigation he settled on the place he now
occupies as mentioned above. Since then he has labored assiduously
for the upbuilding of this section, giving his attention to securing for
himself an actual competence. He has won the esteem and confidence
of all who know him.
In 1880 Mr. Martinson married Miss Dorothy
Knutson, a native of Norway, and to them three children have been born;
Albert, Tilda and Emma.