Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
GEORGE N. LOWE is a production
of the state of Washington, having been born in Walla Walla, on May 29,
1866. The father, E. T. Lowe, was born in Illinois and crossed the
plains to Walla Walla with ox teams in the early 'sixties. He followed
building and contracting for years in Walla Walla and there died in 1874.
The mother, Martha C. Lowe, was born in Virginia and accompanied her husband
across the plains. She died at Walla Walla in 1879. Our subject
being thus early left an orphan, was associated with William Bigham, a
large stockman of Oregon and Washington. His early education was
obtained in Walla Walla and later he attended school in Spokane and an
academy at Cheney. In October, 1879, he made his first trip from
Walla Walla to the Big Bend country in company with Mr. Bigham, who had
here a large band of horses brought from Oregon. Mr. Bigham was well
known in early days throughout the country as one of the largest and most
successful horse raisers in the west. George N. continued in his
labors, riding the range throughout the entire Big Bend country, until
he was twenty-two years of age. Owing to the fact that the horses
were brought from Oregon, much extra riding was needed to keep them from
returning to those places. During those years, the few scattering
settlers had to go to Walla Walla for mail until other postoffices were
established nearer. When twenty-two, Mr. Lowe entered the stock business
for himself and gave his entire attention to raising horses. He had
good success and soon had a good sized herd of his own. His headquarters
were on Crab creek, near where Irby station is now located. In 1891,
horses so decreased in value that there was no profit in the enterprise
still he continued until 1900, when he sold his remaining herd of five
hundred for seven dollars per held. Then Mr. Lowe purchased railroad
land where Lamona is now. He secured eight hundred acres, one section
of which is first class wheat land. He first built a good residence,
then commodious barns and made other improvements needed and is now one
of the substantial agriculturists of the section. Although Mr. Lowe
commenced life as a very poor boy, he has now gained property until he
is considered one of the well-to-do men of Lincoln county.
In 1889, Mr. Lowe married Miss Lue Parker.
Her parents, Horace and Louisa (Johnson) Parker, were born in Pennsylvania
and New York, respectively. The father walked across the plains in
company with an ox train in the early 'fifties settling at The Dalles,
Oregon. In 1879, he settled where Lamona now stands. The mother
came via the Isthmus to Oregon and her marriage occurred at The Dalles.
Mrs. Lowe was born in Wasco county, Oregon, and is one of a family of four
girls. She came to what is now Lincoln county with her parents when
twelve years of age and her education was received in the public schools
of Spokane. Mr. Lowe stands well in this community and is a man of
integrity and real worth.