Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
DAVID M. GLASGOW. The gentleman,
whose name heads the following sketch, is a thorough business man, public-spirited,
broad minded, and influential. He is president of the Davenport Machinery
Company, dealers in gasoline engines, threshing machines, implements, buggies,
electric light appliances, and other machinery, and resides at Davenport,
Lincoln county. He was born at Laporte, Indiana, October 25, 1860,
the son of Hugh and Nancy (McCarty) Glasgow. The father, a native
of Scotland, came to the United States in 1830, in company with A. T. Stewart,
the millionaire merchant, locating at Lyons, New York. In 1840 he
removed to Indiana, where he became quite prominent and influential, socially
and in a financial way. Late in life he was an ardent Prohibitionist,
and by that party was nominated for state treasurer. He died in 1898.
The mother was a native of Ohio, and her parents came of an old and distinguished
New York family. She passed away in 1894.
The public schools of Laporte county, Indiana,
provided the elemental education of our subject, who subsequently took
a business course at the Valparaiso Normal School. In 1881 he came
to Spokane, where for five years he was engaged in the livery business.
Two years subsequently he bought wheat for the Northern Pacific Elevator
Company, continuing afterward in the same business for himself. Mr.
Glasgow came to Davenport in 1888. In 1901 he secured a franchise
to light the town, and organized the company, installed the plant and at
the same time conducted the largest machinery shop in the Big Bend.
Six men are constantly employed, and during the busy season many more.
Mr. Glasgow is interested in mining property in Lincoln, Stevens, and Ferry
counties. He has five brothers; James, a farmer and stockraiser at
Silver Lake; Samuel, secretary and treasurer of the Centennial Mill, Spokane;
Alexander, wheat buyer, Fairfield, Washington; Edwin, mill man in Wasco,
Oregon; and Hugh, now in Seattle. His four sisters are Mary, wife
of Charles Tonogle; Arzella, wife of George Metcalf; Jennie, wife of J.
B. McDonald; and Orpha, wife of Louis Richter.
Mr. Glasgow was married at Spokane, in 1890,
to Ada C. Jayne, a native of Pennsylvania.. She died April 24, 1899, at
Davenport. His second marriage was with Mary M. Carr, at Davenport,
who is also a native of Pennsylvania. By his first wife Mr. Glasgow
has four children, Cecil R., Leo M., Orpha A., and Aaron H. Fraternally,
he is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the I .O. O. F., the K. P., the
A. O. U. W., the W. W., the Royal Highlanders, and several other orders.
He has been a member of the city council, and frequently a delegate to
county and state conventions.