Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
O. H. P. GIBSON. This venerable
gentleman, now a resident of Davenport, has a long and varied career and
is one of the respected and esteemed men of the city. He was born
in Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, on May 10, 18l5, being the son of John B.
and Nellie (Hennesee) Gibson. He learned the merchant tailoring business
and in 1836 came to Missouri, where he started a shop. Later, we
find him in Plattsburg then in Stewartsville, where he was when the war
broke out. On account of taking in a partner who sympathized with
the south, Mr. Gibson's goods were all confiscated. Then he turned
his attention to farming. In 1883, he came west and located in Spangle.
One year later, he moved to Lincoln county, and took a homestead upon which
he lived until 1896, in which year he moved to Davenport, Washington, where
he now resides.
In July, 1854, Mr. Gibson married Miss Mary
J. Deadley, a native of Kentucky. To them were born eight children,
C. C., B. O., J. J., Louella, Laura E., J. S., J. W., and George M.
Politically, Mr. Gibson is a good stanch Democrat
and always takes an active interest in the campaigns. He has served
as justice of the peace and in other capacities. He is the oldest
Mason in the state of Washington, having become one in 1845. In church
affiliations, he belongs to the Methodist denomination.