Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
BARNETT D. DIXON is a well-to-do
farmer residing one-half mile east from Downs, where he has one of the
most sightly farms in Lincoln county, it being visible from the towns of
Downs, Mohler, and Harrington. On July 10, 1873, Mr. Dixon was born
in Lewis county, Washington, on a farm about twelve miles west from Centralia.
His father was Elijah F. Dixon, a native of the state of Vermont, who removed
early in life to Ohio and from that state to Jackson county, Michigan,
where he was engaged in rafting lumber down the Mississippi river and also
as a sailor on the Great Lakes. He crossed the plains with a yoke
of oxen in 1852, engaged in mining in California for a number of years
and later came to Dayton, Oregon, where he was married to Elizabeth Goodrich,
a native of Yamhill county, Oregon. The couple then removed to Lewis
county, Washington, that being in 1872, and there they settled on a homestead
in the heavily wooded section of the county. Here Mr. Dixon, Sr.,
lived the greater portion of the time until his death in his sixty-eighth
year, which occurred on December 21, 1888. The mother of our subject
died at Lamona, Washington, in 1896, aged forty-nine years.
Barnett D. Dixon is the fourth in point of
age of a family originally comprising nine children, of whom seven are
still living, Curtis F., Mrs. Dora Holden, our subject, Mrs. Emily Etta
Lavender, Mary Olive, Mrs. Annie Breese and Maud Alice. Those dead
are Mrs. Ella Bradley and Joseph T. Dixon. All of the female members
of the family were school teachers with the exception of the last named,
who has just been graduated from the state normal school at Ellensburg.
Mr. Dixon grew to manhood on the farm, where
he attended school and assisted his father in clearing and cultivating
his homestead. In the fall of 1893 he came to Lincoln county, where
he followed the calling of the cowboy for four years and got to be an expert
rider of wild horses, and when he arrived at his majority he took a homestead
and engaged in farming, north of Lamona. He later sold this farm
and purchased three hundred and twenty acres where he still lives, all
of which is choice land and under cultivation. He has the best of
modern improvements from his handsome residence down to the most minor
appointment of his farm, including an excellent water system and one acre
of orchard. He also farms two sections of land besides his place
and owns all the stock and implements required in the prosecution of his
extensive farming business.
On June 30, 1901, Mr. Dixon took for his wife
Lela Alice Lockhart, a native of Sanders county, Nebraska, and daughter
of John and Lucinda E. Lockhart.
Our subject is a member of the Harrington
Lodge, K. of P. and enjoys a wide reputation for honesty and industry among
his fellow citizens of the Big Bend.