Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties, State of Washington",
published by Western Historical Publishing Co., 1904.
GUSTAV DEPNER, who, although
Russian born, is as good and patriotic an American citizen as can be found
in Lincoln county, in which he resides on a farm three-fourths of a mile
north of Rocklyn.
Mr. Depner was born October 28, 1860, in Poland,
Russia, where he grew to manhood on a farm, and served for five years in
the regular Russian army at Odessa, near the Black Sea. In 1892 he
came to the province of Assiniboine, Canada, and took work on salary, and
came to Lincoln county four years later, where, after working for wages
a short time, he filed a homestead claim on his present farm. Since
that time he has followed the cultivation of his land and the raising of
stock. He with his family came to this place from his farmer home
in a small wagon drawn by one horse, which journey entailed many hardships
and consumed seven weeks' time, and reached here with just fifteen dollars
in money. However, he has been a hard-working and frugal farmer,
and is now in decidedly comfortable circumstances.
Gustav Depner is the son of Goetleib and Minnie
Depner, both of the same place of birth, as himself and is a member of
a family of ten children, two of whom, Frederick and Daniel, also are residents
of Lincoln county.
On January 4, 1886, Mr. Depner was married
in Poland, to Bertha Krop, also a native of Poland. Her father and
mother were Gotleib and Millie Krop, and they, too, were born in Russia.
The issues of this marriage have been seven in number, but only four are
now living. Their names, with places and dates of birth are: Gotleib,
Poland, October 28, 1888; Martin, Russia proper, April 2, 1892; Gustav,
Assiniboine, Canada, March 24, 1894; and Emil, Lincoln county, Washington,
April 15, 1903.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Depner are members of the
Evangelical church, and are of the highest standing in the community.
Mr. Depner owns his home place of one hundred and sixty acres, for the
most part in cultivation, and all well improved, with a fine house, good
barn, orchard, and so forth, and in addition, three hundred and twenty
acres of pasture land.