Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The
Big Bend Country, embracing Lincoln, Douglas, Adams and Franklin counties,
State of Washington", published by Western Historical Publishing
SAMUEL M. COMAN is one of the earliest pioneers of Lincoln county and his party were absolutely the first settlers in the country about five miles north from Creston, there being no white men within ten miles of that section when they located there in 1880. Mr. Coman is now retired and living in Creston, having gained a goodly competence by his industry and wise management.
Mr. Samuel M. Coman was born in Indiana, in 1830, and gained his education from the common schools of Michigan and in 1856 went to California via the Isthmus. He settled in Trinity county and gave his attention to mining for seven years and then went to work on a ranch which was five miles from the nearest settlers. He followed farming there for fourteen years and sold his produce to miners. In 1869, Mr. Elijah Siegler bought a half interest in the farm and together they operated it for seven years then they sold it and moved across the mountains carrying their families on mule back to Humboldt county. They gave their attention to farming there until 1880, when Mr. Coman came to Walla Walla in the spring. There he crossed Lyons Ferry to Ritzville and walked to Medical Lake and then to Spokane. It was in May, 1880, that Mr. Coman came out into the Big Bend country and brought in his company, John Cole, William Every, Tom Palmer and George Snyder. He selected land about five miles north from where Creston now is and made settlement. Mr. Coman with the gentleman last mentioned erected the first house in Sherman. Since that time, he has been one of the progressive and industrious citizens of the county and is now spending the golden years of his life in quiet retirement from active labors, having gained a goodly competence in the years past. Mr. Coman's sister, Mrs. Eliza Ziegler, taught the first school in Lincoln county. There being no school house in the country then, Mrs. Ziegler gave a room of her own house for that purpose. She had taught school much in the east, Ohio and Michigan, and in California. Many of the now bright and leading men and women of Lincoln county gained the rudiments of their education from this lady.