Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams, and Franklin Counties", published by Western Historical
Publishing Co., 1904.
WHEELOCK B. SMITH has been very
active in the business world since coming to Franklin county and his labors,
dominated by wisdom of a high order, have resulted in excellent success.
He is now one of the wealthy business men of this portion of Washington
and has won it all by his own efforts. At the present time, he is
giving his personal attention to a general merchandise establishment in
Kahlotus which is the largest of its kind in this portion of the county.
In addition to this he has nearly three sections
of good wheat land which is all rented out. He has buildings and
improvements on each quarter, except one farm of a half section.
He manages these estates in addition to handling his mercantile business
and he has a first-class income annually.
Wheelock B. Smith was born in Prince Edward
Island, Canada, on June 12, 1864, the son of Alexander and Sarah (McMillan)
Smith, natives of Prince Edward Island and of Scotch ancestry. The
father died in his native place, but the mother came west in 1893 and is
now living in Kahlotus. They were the parents of nine children, and
reared them all to be good citizens and men and women of character and
standing. Our subject was educated in the public schools in his native
place and labored with his father until the latter's death. Then
he assisted his mother to support the balance of the family until he was
twenty-seven, when he married and came west to Fletcher, Adams county,
Washington. He took a pre-emption, later a homestead, then bought
railroad land and improved the whole of it in good shape. He has
a section in one body of three-fourths of a section in Adams county, and
another three-fourths in Franklin. He has an orchard of eight acres,
and the estates are well improved. Mr. Smith farmed until 1901, when
he removed to Kahlotus and built a residence and opened a livery barn.
He conducted this until the spring of 1904, when he sold and gave his undivided
attention to the general merchandise business, which he had started in
the meantime. He has a large stock of well selected goods and is
doing a large business. Mr. Smith has also given attention to raising
stock and now has one hundred head, having recently reduced his bands by
selling two hundred.
On October 15, 1891, Mr. Smith married Miss
Mary E., daughter of Archibald and Penelope (McGoygan) Thompson, natives
of Prince Edward Island. They are Scotch people. To Mr. and
Mrs. Smith six children have been born, George N., Nellie F., Dora B.,
Silas, Lena E., and Sarah A., who is deceased. Mr. Smith is a good
active Democrat and always is found at the elections working for his principles.
He belongs to the M. W. A. and he and his wife are members of the Methodist