Transcribed from "An Illustrated History of The Big Bend Country, embracing
Lincoln, Douglas, Adams, and Franklin Counties", published by Western Historical
Publishing Co., 1904.
WILLIAM T. ANDERSON is at the
head of a general merchandise business at Mesa, Washington. In addition
to this he is overseeing an estate of about thirteen hundred acres of good
wheat land which he is improving and bringing to be one of the choicest
wheat producing estates of the county. He has shown himself to be
a thorough and upright business man, progressive and active and is deserving
of the success which his wisdom and thrift have brought.
William T. Anderson was born in Lawrence county,
Missouri, in 1871. His parents, Joseph and Elizabeth (Colley) Anderson,
are natives of Virginia and are living in Franklin county. The first
seventeen years of our subject's life were spent in the Bullion State,
where he received his education. Then he went to the Indian Territory
and engaged in stock raising and farming, being in partnership with his
father. They labored there until 1900, when William T. came west,
seeking a location. He soon discovered what he desired in Franklin
county and established a general merchandise store at Connell. That
was the second store in town and he had a good business there until the
spring of 1903, when he removed his entire stock and business to Mesa.
In addition to handling all kinds of merchandise, he deals in farm implements
and supplies of all kinds that are needed in this part of the country.
As stated above, he has acquired an estate of thirteen hundred acres in
addition to his business which indicates that he has been immensely successful
in his labors here. He is now commissioner of the third district
of Franklin county and is an excellent officer. Fraternally, Mr.
Anderson is connected with the A. F. & A. M. and the I. 0. 0.
At Purcell, Indian Territory, in December,
1899, Mr. Anderson married Miss Minerva Love, the daughter of John B. and
Permelia Love, now living in Franklin county. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson
two children have been born, William N. and Joseph.
When the Spanish-American war broke out in
1898, Mr. Anderson joined the First Texas Cavalry Volunteers, under Colonel
Luther Hare. His command was sent to the border of Mexico, where
they did guard duty until the close of the war when he was mustered out
at San Antonio, Texas.